PDA

View Full Version : My Bling $5 mod

Espresso
03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
I do not want to hear any $hit. I know it looks cheap(well, because it IS), but then again, it matches the interior..LOL
I did actually get more power back, because the stock air filter was TRASHED. I am NOT saying that this gave me power, but it obviously let some loose that was being held back(it has a K&N filter inside it).
Exhaust note changed quite a bit, & you cannot even hear the intake do that stupida** CAI DOOOOPPPP sound(Man I hate that especially on a nice mid-range car..it just cheapens it & makes it sound like a Honda).
I am going to keep this filter, but I WILL be remounting it. I should have my intake manifold, rocker covers & a few other pieces finished up this weekend, with some good BLING BLING chrome(I also worked on portign the intake. I am having one Extrude Honed very soon). So while I have it apart I will finish installing the rest of the intake plumbing, SS lines, breather kit & a few other goodies.

Like I said it cost me a whopping $5. So have a good laugh, but hey it works & it is a HELL of alot better then the $60 the dealership wants to charge me. I was going with a custom intake anyway so it would have been a COMPLETE waste of cash.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Black05PT/C280%20sport/nology006.jpg

vinnie201
03-22-2007, 05:23 PM
there is something stuck to your maf:D it doesnt look that bad..

roundeler
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Looks like saran-rap did the job, kudos!

Nelson Lago
03-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Im sorry i have too...............there is no chang in exhaust note its your intake and, im not saying your feeling things but i cant see how that gains hp its not even cold air the stock box is more like a cold air then that. All that is doing is sucking up hot air from the engine bay.........but i do have to admit it does look good for 5$

vinnie201
03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
lol

Fizzle
03-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Nelson Lago
Im sorry i have too...............there is no chang in exhaust note its your intake and, im not saying your feeling things but i cant see how that gains hp its not even cold air the stock box is more like a cold air then that. All that is doing is sucking up hot air from the engine bay.........but i do have to admit it does look good for 5$

In This Case Its Not The Temp Of The Air Causing More HP. It Is The Less Restrictive Shape Of The Intake Allowing More Air, Albeit Hot Or Cold, To Be Sucked In.

Benzon
03-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I jsut don't like the weave and the huge hole i nthe engine bay. Other than that 5 bucks well spent.

jnolte
03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
you could always extent it with some PVC pipe ahaaa

Espresso
03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Lago

I do believe I know the difference between intake & exhaust. The intake is still silent(just because a diffrent filter is added doesnt mean it is always going to be louder) & with the increase of airflow, comes a better-revving, better flowing engine= exhaust note change. Common sense, IF you have been doing this a while you would know that.
I never said I gained HP. I just got some back from having an extremely wet,dirty clogged air filter for months.
I never said it was a CAI.
Besides sucking MORE air is the key. It really doesnt matter if it is hot or not. Cold air is good. MORE air is best. MORE cold air is Bestest :)

benzon. I do not like the huge emptyness either. I do have some plans to put something there.

jnolte. I am going to extend it(I already did with PVC to get the legnth I need for the metal piping). I am just mounting it behind the headlight, with a SS blockoff plate from the enginebay. It has to stay in the engine bay here, because during the rainy season. I regularlly go through "puddles" that completely submerge the front bumper. Last year the water coming down the road to a round-about was enough to actually put water OVER the hood(I was already in about 12" & saw it start coming down when I was stuck behind a car & it hit the car with crazy force). It took me about 4 days to clean all the water out of the lights.

But like I said. THIS WAS A $5 part & a somewhat temp fix. Much better then not having the car run at all. I didnt do it for performance I did it because here. You need to use what you can get at the time. I REFUSE to pay the outrageous price the dealer wanted & this was avail to me. All I had to do was cut the tube off of a spare upper filter box & attach the filter. Simple & effective.

NickDellhall
03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
you could always extent it with some PVC pipe ahaaa

For a moment I thought that was a PVC pipe w/ carbon vinyl...

Nelson: there's slight HP gain w/ K&N filters depending on car and app. I still have the stock one in the 202, so I can't tell if there's a diff, but in my 201 I have a K&N filter and there's a considerable difference in power delivery at the higher rpm range.

Tho you're right, there's no noticable change in exhaust note.

C280/////AMG
03-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Agreeing wit Nick, the 202's standard induction is pretty efficient as is...Only noticed sharper throttle response from my CAI (at legal speeds) compared to stock intake.

On the other hand, when we fitted a CAI to my friend's BMW 635CSi, a HUGE difference was felt from 3000rpm and up. It's got a 3.5 litre straight 6, and has a smaller stock air filter than the 202!!!

Espresso
03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh I am not saying the stock design isnt efficent. It is a rather nice design. BUT like stated. It was about money & the fact that I am doing some upgrades & I will not uitlize the stock intake plumbing. I am sure this will get replaced with a better/bigger one soon. But as of now. It was nessessary plus ONE HELL of an improvement over the stock one.
As for the exhaust note. I have a bit more free flowing exhaust then the standard. The intake was seriously holding back the engine from it's potential. I have already noticed a increase in TR & gas mileage. Not saying it wouldnt have gotten better with a fresh factory air filter. But for the $. This is SO much better.

Section 8
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
who said bling.........