PDA

View Full Version : goin bananas at tweeter

vinnie201
03-24-2007, 01:41 PM
i just went bananas at tweeter cuz they were going out of business and bought aftermarket headunit and speakers (i know i have the bastard bose system) and i have to rewire. i never rewired anything before but i figured if i can major in math i can rewire car audio. so my question is do i wire all speakers to the new headunit?? i do plan on getting a sub and i know ineed an amp. i just need to know if i should wait and wire them to an amp in the trunk or the headunit. the guy also told me speakers have built in tweetrs so the old ones need to be disconnected. does this mean i take the tweeter and its corresponding wires out all the way to god knows where or just the tweeter and leave the wire. also whats all this crossover business i keep hearing? i haven't yet bought the wiring and i wanted to know what is the right type for crossover. all in all i just want to rewire my freakin aftermarket speakers the right way and need help. since this is a new headunit do i run speaker wire directly to the headunit and therefore i dont need the vw harness (which i do have)? and do wires run through the sills then into where? this post looks like a bunch of crap mushed together i know!! i am confused as hell. and yes i did do a search. anybody that even reads this thank you in advance...o i forgot and what do i do with ugly cd changer in my trunk, just take it out and leave wires, i have the same question about bose amp too, o yea too anybody in the vicinity north haven tweetr is going out of business so there selling car audio and all types of stuff up to 30 % off

benzonline
03-24-2007, 03:24 PM
No all you need is a special harness that the aftermarket deck plugs into. Bose system stays intact.....typical dept store bullshit of "re-wire" etc. Dont listen to them.

vinnie201
03-25-2007, 05:52 AM
i just put headunit in and it works perfect with the bose. ok so the only way to get use out of after market speakers would put to a) bring them back (maybe i went too bananas at tweeter), B) rewire them to the headunit. im gonna take a vote, what should i do people??:confused:

trunk-rattlin
03-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi,

That was very hard to read. Maybe throw some paragraphs in there next time.

So, by the sounds of things, you bought some new speakers..

Are the components or coaxials.

Components have a woofer, tweeter and crossover box all sperate.

Coaxials have the tweeter mounted in the speaker, some do have crossover boxes as well.

In the initial wire up, just wire them up to the headunit with strip connecters to start, and when you wire up your amp, while youve puled the car apart to put the RCA's in, run speaker cables alongside them.
Then you can just swap the wires at the headunit and connect to amp.

I want to give you help but you dont make any sence at all. What is the problem

:confused:

EDIT, i just wrote an essay on what you need to do but i accidently pushed reset.

vinnie201
03-26-2007, 06:44 AM
hahaha sorry i now that stuff was all mushed into one crappy mouthful. they are coaxial speakers. 6.5 fronts 4 rears (i know i need adaptors). i do not have an amp other than what is in my car (bose amp). i put head unit in and it works fine with the bose speakers + amp but i did want to wire up the new alpine speakers also (which i have never done). I don't really want to spend an arm and a leg on an amp, and from what i understand the new speakers i would want to wire them to the head unit (they are type s speakers nothing special so it doesnt really seem logical to get a separate amp for them unless you convince me to). i dont know the wire route (what has to come off ) for me to wire the speakers to the head unit. also would i just skip the vw harness and wire directly to the headunit?? i only know it would be easier to wire with an amp in the trunk. my brain hurts...

trunk-rattlin
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
To wire in an amp, you have to pull just as much interior out to get to where you cables must run.

I don't know about the bose amplifiers.
You don't need to amp these speakers, but if you have a spare amp, it might be an idea to install it.

Its really up to you if you want to amp them or not

benzonline
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
You cant put new aftermarket speakers on a bose setup unless you re-wire and not use the bose amp which powers only 2ohm bose speakers. This is where the "re-wire" scenario comes into place.

With a deck you put in whats wrong with the sound? You wont get much better if marginally.

Proven Guilty
03-26-2007, 12:20 PM
i would pull two new sets of wires, and leave your bose system entirely in tact.

1) first set of wires from the head unit, to the doors.
2) while you have the door panels off, pull a second set of wires (different color) to the trunk.

reason for this.. if you want to sell your car down the road, it's always best to return it to 100% factory condition. this way you can run the current bose setup as-is, or run the door speakers off the head unit's built in amplifier. if you go through the effort of pulling speaker wire from the head unit to the doors, you may as well run lines to the trunk in the event you want more power to drive the alpines cleaner down the road with a trunk-mounted amplifier.

stereo systems are as addicting as people will say tattoos are. you think you're gonna start small at first, but your thirst is never quenched once you start getting better and better tunes in your car :)

i give it 3 months till you're looking for a clean set of 10" subwoofers for the trunk, with a clean sounding amp, and considering a 4 channel for the interior speakers.

do it once, the right way imo

unHookt
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Why not just leave all the wires, put the new amp near where the Bose amp is, and just connect as follows:

1) Existing wires from head unit to Bose amp now go to new amp

2) Existing wires from Bose amp to speakers now go from new amp to new speakers.

Why would you ever need to re-wire?

vinnie201
03-26-2007, 06:17 PM
i think im just goin to run with the bose and headunit i have now. im going to bring the speakers back and get a sub and amp setup instead. figure new speakers wont do me as much good as a sub would. i just hope they let me bring em back cuz they are goin out of business!!! if not maybe i will end up using em:confused:

trunk-rattlin
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by vinnie201
im going to bring the speakers back

Your going to TAKE the speakers back.

Front speakers the the most important part of the sound reproduction, not the sub.

But your call:o

aflicted
03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
The car-fi bug has hit another person. This will become a ridiculous wallet thinner I assure you vinnie. If you are happy with the bose speakers and amp now then why not keep them? When you add the amp and sub (which I highly recommend) to the system it will become apparent. The sub will add some serious depth to the low frequency range and you will notice it can be overpowering at times. The front speakers will be where your imaging comes from as bass is omnidirectional. To compensate for the power the sub puts out you will really want to amp the aftermarket speakers so they have plenty of clean sustainable power to reproduce the music with. This will improve clarity and fight distortion at low and loud volumes.

Since you replaced the HU, depending on make and model, it should give you some pre-amp outputs and a subwoofer output. I would run RCA's to these outputs and to an amp. While you are already into the interior of the car to run the RCA signal cables, why not run some better and thicker guage wiring vs. the small guage stock wiring. If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on stereo equipment you could look at some of the 5 channel amps. These give you a 4 channel output for your speakers and the 5th channel is a sub output so you could power everything off of 1 amp. Stereo installs are not rocket science, and since the battery is already in the trunk the major PITA of running the power cable through the firewall is a non-issue.

It all really boils down to what do you want from the system? If you want moderate volume with good clarity and frequency range then be prepared to amp the aftermarket speakers and get a subwoofer. Size and type of sub depends on the music you listen to and if you want loud boomy, or tight and accurate. Hopefully your HU gives you high and low pass filters and EQ. These will aid in tuning the system overall. As the saying goes you have to pay to play.

There is so much more to expound upon in this.

btw I wish I could visit your tweeter store because I need a ton of sh*t.

vinnie201
03-27-2007, 07:03 AM
you bastards!!!! ok ok five channel amp sounds like it is up my ally (if i can kill two birds with one stone by getting a sub in there as well then i will attempt it). so my question is what type of wire to use and alls I have to do is run the wire from each speaker to a spot in the trunk (and run some rca cables as well). It sounds simple enough but im sure i will break some on this 13 year old interior, so should i do like a 16 gauge from radio shack, cuz thats whats im thinkin

edit:
also what kind of wattage should i look for in this amp. front speakers are 6.5, and rear are 4' (alpine type s), and a 12' sub, is there a general rule i should follow here or somethin?

AirPost
03-27-2007, 05:28 PM
To confuse you more, you also have the option of replacing the speakers with the Infinity 2ohm speakers. You won't have to do any rewiring. There is a thread here with that topic.

Just an advice when buying an amplifier (you probably already know this), look at the RMS and not the Peak rating of an amp. An amp can be marketed as a gazillion watts but that probably is the peak wattage it could handle as opposed to the continuous power (RMS) it gives out.

benzonline
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Adding a sub alone to the Bose system with your headunit beleive it or not with the right tuning can sound unreal. Front speaker Bose are in ported enclosures (feel the air?) which you wont find in the aftermarket.

unHookt
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Adding a subwoofer is definitely an improvement. I'm still looking for that little extra something in terms of sound quality and crispness that the stock BOSE doesn't seem to deliver, and I'm wondering if an Alpine HU, with its great S/N ratios and broad dynamic range will make the difference.

I've also thought about going the infiniti 2ohm route, but I'm not convinced yet. Waiting for someone else to try it first!

vinnie201
03-28-2007, 05:39 AM
ok this is what im gonna do, go 4 channel amp shopping today after work. i have alpine head unit and front and rear speakers so i might as well just add an alpine amp, vinnie has spoken. just wondering if you guys had any suggestion rear speakers are 30 (150 peak) watts rms and fronts are 50 (250 peak) rms. so a 400 watt i think should suffice no? i should be spending this money and lca bushings......

EDIT:

what do guys think of this:
360 watt 4, 3, or 2 channel car amplifier
360 Watts max output
74 X 4 @ 2 OHMS
180 x 2 bridged @ 4 ohm
MOSFET power supply
Built-in advanced high pass and low pass crossover filters
15 Hz sub-sonic filter
variable Bass bass boost switch able from 0-12 dB
preamp- and speaker-level inputs
Built in bass equalizer