PDA

View Full Version : Do all M111's have insane soft mounts?

Pagz
03-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Ever since the day I started modifying the M111,Iv thought engine movment under acceleration/cornering was maybe alittle excessive,but maybe normal for the OE mounts to give a very smooth ride.

My original set of engine mounts had collapsed/compressed alittle,so engine movment was less...but i could feel vibration when cornering under power as the mounts bottomed out.

So i purchased a new set,which made the engine sit around 10mm higher...though engine movement doubled...I can now rock it side to side about 20mm by hand...

After building the first turbo setup it became apparent we needed less engine movment,so we made these from the original set...
They are poured in a soft rubber,which made vibration insane,so i drilled holes around the mount to soften them,but that just allowed greater vibration.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_175_full.jpg

At present I run the OE replacment mounts which give me sh!t loads of movment...Anyone who has seen my setup is shocked when i show them this....
So the question is do all M111 engines have such soft mounts?....did i some how end up with the "Elegance" version?...

I see japanese 4 cylinder engines all day and can bearly move them by hand,they run smooth...which could be due to bore/stroke/displacement and unlike the M111 most run balancing shafts!!

Did MB cover up the M111's crap balance design by installing extreme soft mounts?...maybe=)
Having the engine flop around under the bonnet does very little for handling!

Anyways next time your under the hood,try rock your engine by hand and let me know your opinion.

Thanks,
Paul

RemoLexi
03-31-2007, 03:14 PM
yea I have the same issue. not that I care right now though.

I made a custom 3-inch full-on intake which I sold to Sacc230 shortly after since I started my turbo project, he still has problems with the clamp in the middle coming loose all the time and his car shuts off due to the MAF not getting sufficient air flow. I do remember I have it bolted to his frame - and when his engine rocks back and forth it becomes loose.

I have to unbolt it from his frame to let it freely move so it doesnt pop-off. but that has more issues following it. so I have to re-design his custom intake and get it done right!

yea M111 has alot of play under the hood, so can anyone tell me if the M104 is like this too ??

SpEeDy230
03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I have heard you can inject polyurethane into the engine mounts to make it stiffer. They use the poly from windshield sealer for the gaskets. Not sure if it may work with MB mounts. Ive seen it work at other mounts from Japanese cars so i think you can give that a try

DRM
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Mine has no significant play at all really! It moves the entire car when I push it

irieite
04-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by DRM
Mine has no significant play at all really! It moves the entire car when I push it

Push it real good..

benzonline
04-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I noticed on all C230Ks and recall it when my cousin's was brand new in 1999, a big shake of the engine when shutting it off.

I never seen or felt an issue with the engine mounts yet on my 202.

DRM
04-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by irieite
Push it real good..

haha http://youtube.com/watch?v=E-qwJEBsx44