PDA

View Full Version : Changing rear pads

Luwin1026
01-21-2003, 09:48 AM
My rear pads need to be changed - can someone tell me what I'd need in terms of parts besides the pad set?

Thanks in advance!

MBATF
01-21-2003, 10:38 AM
well, if u just need to change the pads, then all u in are just teh pads, unless u want to do it urself, and wants to know what tools u need?

why are u changing ur pads??? just wondering.. higher? or lower?:bunny:

Luwin1026
01-21-2003, 11:24 AM
My bad - I meant, rear BRAKE pads. :D

nokia8860
01-21-2003, 01:58 PM
pads and sensors thats about it. its easy peasy to do

714guy
01-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Luwin

Thats all you need, make sure you get the right ones either one pin or two pin. just look att the brakes and you'll be able to see if theres two or one pin goin thru the pads in the center. You might also want to turn the rotors or get new ones if there to thin. Mercedes shop has the Ate for like 30 each really cheap, but the only think is that they rust like crazy so i would get some high temp. paint and paint the parts that aren't used for the brakes.

I am pretty sure you know how to take it off it you dont just ask. Make sure you have your E brake releases. Should be easy once if you have everything. You dont need sensor like the front ones.

MBATF
01-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Nokia- i don't think there is any brake sensor in teh back, at lease not with my car..

Luwin- the rear pad is very simple to change take ur wheel off and jack up teh car. then use a hammer and a long metal pin to knock out of the pin(s) (knock from out side teh caliper, so teh caliper pin(s) will fall in,

after u take out of teh pin, remove that one silve metal peaice that look liek a clip. then use a flate head, or cliper cmpress tool to de compress teh brak pad as much as u can, ( so that way teh brake pads won't stick so close to teh rotors.

afetr u done that, u will be ble to take the 2 pads out of the caliper.

then put on the new pads.

out teh silver cliper back in, while u hammer teh caliper pin(s) back into the caliper( this time hammer it from teh inside

put ur wheel back on.

reapet it on other side,
then befor eu drive it, give soem gentle tapes on teh brake, so teh piston will compress the pads back on to teh rotors, and drive slowly, let teh brake pads brake in a little, and u r done!!

make sure teh pads u have on ur car now is eitehr one pin or 2 pins, cuz 2 pins pads will not fit on 1 pin pads, and 1 pin bads will not fit on 2 pin pads.

i will post some pics if u need it.

MBATF
01-21-2003, 02:30 PM
luwin, don't u have big brake kits????? or i m mistaking?

Luwin1026
01-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
luwin, don't u have big brake kits????? or i m mistaking?

Not for the rear - yet. :D

MBATF
01-21-2003, 04:24 PM
I c ic , well, if u ever need any pic for the sameple of how to do teh rear, i can email u some, i have not finish taking teh pics yet, since they sent me teh wrong pads...my car is still on teh jack....