PDA

View Full Version : Battery Replacement

xvvvz
04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
When shopping for a battery, don't forget that you can tell the manufacturing date by the little round sticker on the battery. The first letter is for the month (Jan=A) and the second digit equals the last number in the year (7=2007). Reach back into the back of the rack (or ask the parts guy to do so) and find the freshest one possible. Batteries start to sulfate if they sit for very long.

If you don't mind paying double the price via the dealer ($121-141 in Atlanta), remember that you can have MB roadside assistance come out and jump your car for free. Ask them if they will carry a replacement battery "in case" you need a new battery. They will come jump your car and replace the battery for just the cost of the battery (if you ask them from the start to just come out and replace the battery, they will charge you for delivery and labor). If you drive into the dealership they will charge you for the battery PLUS $50 to install it (that was the quote from an Atlanta dealership). So it is cheaper and faster to just call MB roadside assistance (free for all Mercedes in the U.S. for the life of your car).

Do your stretching excercises before you pick one up. My battery was rated at 52 lbs.

Ashkan's C280
04-04-2007, 04:49 PM
What are some brands and weights of top light weight batteries and companies?

xvvvz
04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
One that seems to get good comments is the Optima brand.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive.html

stox
04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
What are some brands and weights of top light weight batteries and companies?

You don't want a lighter weight battery. Did you ever think that the Benz Engineers had a reason for putting a honking huge battery in the back?

714guy
04-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by xvvvz
One that seems to get good comments is the Optima brand.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive.html

I've had my yellow top for 7 years and in 2 different cars both with hefty systems. Its well worth the money.

chimchongdlight
12-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I've had my yellow top for 7 years and in 2 different cars both with hefty systems. Its well worth the money.

whats the model number of ur optima battery? im in the market for a new battery right now and i think an optima is cheaper than oem

timmyj51
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Went to the Optima website, did a battery search for my car, and found nothing. Searched
for other model years and they also show no batteries for MBs. Can only conclude this company
does not manufacture batteries that meed MB specs.

Sulaco
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
You don't need to order a model-specific battery. Just get the amperage correct, which I THINK is 850 (on the higher end of ratings).

But also, I can vouch personally for cheap batteries bought for 80-100 at autozone or walmart. My expensive $200 interstate battery only lasted about 3 years. Autozone: 7 years. Wal mart battery is still going strong, but is only one year old.

Why did this topic pop up twice today?

chimchongdlight
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Pep boys got bosch batteries right now for $104. Originally $150. There's a special right now. I just picked one up

timmyj51
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Those batteries (Interstate, Bosch) were no cheaper than an MB battery you can get from the dealer.
BTW, Consumer Report tests consistently rank Intersate batteries at the BOTTOM.