PDA

View Full Version : flush it?

svt ricco
04-05-2007, 04:43 PM
hi there guys! i just recently purchased a 99 silver c43,black on black. after reading about the tranny problems, i was wondering if i should flush the tranny oil and change the filter. the used car dealer manager insisted that it doesnt need anything,he was bragging about the starmark on the car...and when i got home, i noticed the negative fss..if its been sertviced,how come the fss is in negative? could it be that the dealer forgot to reset it? i need some answers from you guys since this strictly for 202s. thanx in advance,btw,im from fairfield,any1 near me?

xvvvz
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
If it is Starmark, then it sounds like you bought from an MB dealer. They could have forgotten to reset the counter. Just go in and ask the service department for a printout of the service they just did. It will be in the computer.

Don't believe the "fluid for life" in the transmission. Most dealerships now recommend every 60k. Some say 45k or 30K. Use the search button for discussions on this.

SLCPUNK
04-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Yea, it'll last a lifetime alright, a lifetime of about 100k miles then it poops itself. I'd do it every 30k just like the 722.4 trannie. That's just me though.

BrazBenz
04-08-2007, 09:37 AM
1. It is cheap to change the oil
2. Nobody defined lifetime. What if lifetime is longer if you change the oil?
3. If something goes wrong the $$$$$$$$$ amount involved will be many dozens of times the ATF change.

In summary: all the ways lead to CHANGE it.

I will change mine (48K) next week. Main consideration: 10 year old car. I don't believe in a so long chemical stability of the ATF.

My 2 cents... that may worth a bunch of thousand dollars.
Jorge

PS: Go for the extra mile and substitute the filter/gasket. You'll be comfortable for years.
PS2: If your car has no magnet in the pan install one (20 dollars at MB dealers)

svt ricco
04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
hey braz, how will i know if mine has a magnet?

svt ricco
04-08-2007, 04:45 PM
do i need a special shop for the tranny oil/filter change or can any shop do it? btw, is that the only thing to change in the tranny? thanx for your reply

BrazBenz
04-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by svt ricco
do i need a special shop for the tranny oil/filter change or can any shop do it? btw, is that the only thing to change in the tranny? thanx for your reply

Magnets were put in the pan in later 722.6 models. Mine is a 97 and I knew it was not there.
My suggestion: with your VIN your dealer probably will be able to know that. (if it is not there you will not get the P/N and the dealer may pick it up simulating a newer model.

I did some research on this. What I am replacing besides ATF/Gasket/Filter is a part called "spacer" - VERY cheap and known to cause trouble. (If I remember it is an US$ 8.00 part at the dealer). (this is an external part)

I tried the approach of replacing what could potentially fail but got strong advice on this: no way.

Also a strong recommendation: Use only the MB ATF specific for those transmissions (there is a newer one - that is why I mention: stick to the specific one)
I read plenty of discussions about spending less (and saving pennies...) and putting better stuff (without MB endorsement or certainty that it is better for THAT transmission)

So, my final decision was: replace the obvious and almost unanimous (already listed) AND change oil in shorter intervals. (the cheaper option)

I don't live in the States, so will not comment on the shop. In Brazil it will be performed by an authorized service shop (which I trust).
This is not a trivial operation as it requires temperature control, ability to locate the torque converter drain etc. (turning the cranckshaft in the wrong direction can cause you big losses)
You cannot overfill (may give you trouble). You should not underfill...
Thinking twice: Go for a dealer or an independent that is MB skilled.

BrazBenz
04-10-2007, 04:16 AM
I think it may be helpful to post the P/Ns:

SPACER 203 540 01 53 8.09
MAGNET 169 371 00 03 18.00

Acquired both at the MB of Ft Lauderdale.

Needless to say: double check my info.

svt ricco
04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
so, atf is the only thing to change plus the filter and the spacer thing? im asking you this because im planning to do it as soon as possible.

BrazBenz
04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by svt ricco
so, atf is the only thing to change plus the filter and the spacer thing? im asking you this because im planning to do it as soon as possible.

Precisely !
Good luck.

chimchongdlight
11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
What does the magnet do?

nhmercracer
11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Holds the small steel wear particles, keeping them out of the bearings and planetary gearsets.

chimchongdlight
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Ahhh makes sense