View Full Version : Brake rotor and pad replacement!

97C28O
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I recently got my rims and now i can see the rotors. I looked at them today and asked an mechanic to check them out, He said i needed to replace both pads and rotors on my front.

What do you guys recommend me to get? And where?
I want pads with less brake dust! I just got my rims and I have brake dust all over them from few hours of driving. For rotors I want maybe slotted rotors.

I don't know much about pads or rotors. So, if you guys can help, that would be great.

xvvvz
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
For pads, take a look at:

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/45-04950D

stox
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll second the recommendation on the Axxis Deluxe pads. They stop as well as the OEM's, and are much cleaner. Finally, I wash my car when the body is dirty instead of when the front wheels are black.

97C28O
04-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Hmm. I searched on the forum and quite abit of people use Axxis/PBR pads.

If I go with Axxis and Powerslot Slotted rotors, is this a good combo?

Powerslot Slotted & Akebono Euro Ceramic
or
Powerslot Slotted & Axxis Deluxe

mbsickness
04-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by 97C28O
Hmm. I searched on the forum and quite abit of people use Axxis/PBR pads.

If I go with Axxis and Powerslot Slotted rotors, is this a good combo?

Powerslot Slotted & Akebono Euro Ceramic
or
Powerslot Slotted & Axxis Deluxe

I had the atomic slottled rotors and they were noisey....slight grinding under braking...really annoying. More recently a buddy of mine got some slotted rotors for his ML....now his ML has the same grinding noise.

blink
04-06-2007, 07:50 AM
try this............www.gt-concepts.com

stox
04-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Personally, I have been running PBR Deluxe pads, and Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors. To date, I have been very happy with the combination.

97C28O
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by stox
Personally, I have been running PBR Deluxe pads, and Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors. To date, I have been very happy with the combination.

My friend with an ML350 runs Zimmerman cross drilled with some Padige (don't know how to spell it). His brakes squeals like crazy. But he is replacing his rears and see if it is the rear that is squealing.

Proven Guilty
04-06-2007, 08:48 AM
If you plan to run non-OEM rotors and pads, you should use anti-squeal paste; that's probably the problem with his setup.

Even the OEM i use the anti squeal, but you can sometimes get away without it.

I'm currently running the PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads, and I think they have great stopping power, and almost no dust when compared to the OEM.

I'll go with stox on the zimmerman cross-drilled, just for the looks alone, and the axxis pads (Axxis and PBR is the exact same pad, but axxis is the american branch of the company; i believe they're originally a UK company).

97C28O
04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Do most of you run OEM rotors?

taimyshukah
04-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by xvvvz
For pads, take a look at:

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/45-04950D

Are those for front and rear pads?? I wish i knew about this site last week. I just paid $68 for a set of Axxis front pads 2 weeks ago :(.

I had installed them yesterday. No squeals at all!

97C28O
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Hmm.. I asked a shop around my block and they said that If i got with aftermarket Rotors and pads they will squeal even with the anti squeal paste. Is that true?

taimyshukah and Proven Guilty are you guys using OEM rotors with Axxis Deluxe Pads?

Proven Guilty
04-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm using OEM rotors with Axxis pads, and the stopping power is great. There is 90% less dust as well - i bought my OEM rotors from http://www.alleuropeanautoparts.com

the pads I had bought from zeckhausen, or zeckhauser i forget the spelling. you could probably google it really easy.

97C28O
04-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Who makes the OEM rotors?

NEA-4311
04-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Ate

97C28O
04-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey for those who has the Axxis/PBR Deluxe brake pads, DOES YOUR BRAKES SQUEAL even with OEM ROTORS and Anti-Squeal paste?

jnenad16
04-09-2007, 12:06 AM
My friend with an ML350 runs Zimmerman cross drilled with some Padige (don't know how to spell it). His brakes squeals like crazy. But he is replacing his rears and see if it is the rear that is squealing.
thats because he's using Pagid pads. Pagid uses harder compounds than most other brake manufacturers, thats why they squeak so much.

nenad

Screenwriter
04-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Anyone using Mintex pads?

jnenad16
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Screenwriter
Anyone using Mintex pads?
there is a reason why mintex pads are so cheap. they literally fall apart after a few times of spirited braking.

nenad

97C28O
04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Where else can I order Axxis/PBR brakes online?

Do i need to replace the sensor too? (is there one for our 202's?)

stox
04-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I bought my pads and rotors at thebenzbin.com. As for the sensors, they are only a couple of bucks. I replace them every time.

97C28O
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
What do you guys think of Brembo plain rotors w/ Axxis/PBR Deluxe pads?

Or should I get Balo (OEM) rotors w/ Axxis/PBR Deluxe pads?

Kinda in a hurry to get these...

jnenad16
04-10-2007, 12:05 AM
I've(well, mostly my customers) had a bad experience with brembo rotors. 3 out of 5 were defective(warped or cracked). the only aftermarket rotors I get and recommend to customers are ATE(plain or slotted) and POWERSLOT(cryo treated).

nenad

Proven Guilty
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
What do you guys think of Brembo plain rotors w/ Axxis/PBR Deluxe pads?

Or should I get Balo (OEM) rotors w/ Axxis/PBR Deluxe pads?

Kinda in a hurry to get these...

i'm currently running balo with axxis deluxe plus and anti squeal paste. they're perfectly silent after they warm up (squeaks backing out of the driveway), and after 18,000 miles on them already, the rotors still look like brand new. the pads aren't harsh at all like ceramics, the dust reduction is top notch, and the stopping power is the closest to OEM you'll find. go for it mayng! or like nenad said, the ATE slotted have had very good results with other members on the forums.

97C28O
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I think I will go for the Balo w/ Axxis pads.

The slotted rotors I would want because they look cool.

Also, the only thing I really care about is non-squeaking, less brake dust and same or better stopping performance...

AirPost
04-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I replaced my fronts with Zimmerman slotted rotors and Akebono Euro brake pads which came with the sensors. I don't clean my wheels from brake dust every few days like before, heck, it's been weeks now and I hardly notice any brake dust. Put on the MB anti-squeal paste and no squeaking from day 1. The stopping power is the same as when I had the OEM's.