PDA

View Full Version : Iridium Plugs

C280/////AMG
04-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Was just doing some research on iridium plugs and thought this info could be useful to you guys:

Iridium offers extreme ignitability, improved throttle response and superior anti fouling

-Fine Iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable spark

-Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point, perfect for today’s high-tech, high-performance engines

-“Trivalent Metal Plating” has superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties

-Outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and durability

-Ultimate design, technology and performance

There seems to be a huge misconception about heat ranges too...this should end it :p

A spark plug's heat range has no relationship to the actual voltage transferred through the spark plug. Rather, the heat range is a measure of the spark plug's ability to remove heat from the combustion chamber. The heat range measurement is determined by several factors; the length of the ceramic center insulator nose and its' ability to absorb and transfer combustion heat, the material composition of the insulator and center electrode material.

The insulator nose length is the distance from the firing tip of the insulator to the point where insulator meets the metal shell. Since the insulator tip is the hottest part of the spark plug, the tip temperature is a primary factor in pre-ignition and fouling. Whether the spark plugs are fitted in a lawnmower, boat, or a race car, the spark plug tip temperature must remain between 500C-850°C. If the tip temperature is lower than 500°C, the insulator area surrounding the center electrode will not be hot enough to burn off carbon and combustion chamber deposits. These accumulated deposits can result in spark plug fouling leading to misfire. If the tip temperature is higher than 850°C the spark plug will overheat which may cause the ceramic around the center electrode to blister and the electrodes to melt. This may lead to pre-ignition/detonation and expensive engine damage. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. A projected style spark plug firing tip temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C.

The firing end appearance also depends on the spark plugs tip temperature. There are three basic diagnostic criteria for spark plugs: good, fouled and overheated. The borderline between the fouling and optimum operating regions (500&def;C) is called the spark plug self-cleaning temperature. The temperature at this point is where the accumulated carbon and combustion deposits are burned off.

Keep in mind the insulator nose length is a determining factor in the heat range of a spark plug, the longer the insulator nose, the less heat is absorbed, and the further the heat must travel into the cylinder head water jackets. This means the plug has a higher internal temperature, and is said to be a hot plug. A hot spark plug maintains a higher internal operating temperature to burn off oil and carbon deposits, and has no relationship to spark quality or intensity.

Conversely, a cold spark plug has a shorter insulator nose and absorbs more combustion chamber heat. This heat travels a shorter distance, and allows the plug to operate at a lower internal temperature. A colder heat range is necessary when the engine is modified for performance, subjected to heavy loads, or is run at a high rpm for a significant period of time. Colder spark plugs remove heat quicker, reducing the chance of pre-ignition/detonation. Failure to use a cooler heat range in a modified application can lead to spark plug failure and severe engine damage.

blink
04-06-2007, 08:14 PM
i guess your right on that.

C280/////AMG
04-07-2007, 10:28 AM
If anyone's fitted the Iridium plugs, could you please comment as to whether you've noticed any improvement over the conventinal OEM plugs...much appreciated

Espresso
04-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I do not know if anything but Iridium's come different then stock. But I have the Iridium in mine. They have been in there for 149,000Km's...yes that is right ORIGINAL plugs (maybe AMG put them in there with the tuned ECU..I have no idea). They are still firing perfectly & have almost no wear.
I have tuned the car slightly & am now getting 400Km's to the tank(about 12.5 gallons of fuel). Up from the 250-60ish it was when I first got it a year ago. With absolutely no loss in performance.

I love Iridium's but I will not recommond them, because I do not know all the ins & outs of all the different engines MB offers in the 202 chassis. But on MY 2000 2.8L they are great.

Denlasoul
04-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I have Iridiums for over two years, dont notice anything special about them.

BrazBenz
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

I'd say that if they just keep the system cleaner by promoting a perfect ignition that would be very benefitial.
BTW: What is their price ?

OCKlasse
04-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I have Denso Iridiums with Magencor wires, and the only difference I noticed after putting them in was a smoother idle, not that I'm complaining...

etan75
05-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I installed Denso Iridium spark plugs last week, and my C230 Kompressor idles smoother, and no longer misfires. Also, power in the mid-range rev seems stronger. Not dramatic, but noticable.

AirPost
05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Installed the new Bosch Ir Fusion, which is a combination of iridium and platinum, last week too and I didn't really feel a big difference. Just the feeling that since I put new plugs with new technology, my car would perform better, purely psychological.

What would they come up next, kryptonite plugs? :rolleyes:

C280/////AMG
05-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Haha, so from what it seems, there isn't really a performance increase...only a smoother idle and longer service life.

I just like the idea that you don't have to change plugs every 20 000km, hence making servicing easier and reducing the chance of stripping the threads holding the plug onto the head...just donno if it's worth the premium

RemoLexi
05-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

same here. but I do notice my car gets very good gas milage even with an abrupt driving manner. :)

C280/////AMG
05-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by RemoLexi
same here. but I do notice my car gets very good gas milage even with an abrupt driving manner. :)

interesting...do you know how much it improved by?

OzC36
05-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Some say that the M104 engine doesn't like platinum plugs due to one coil having to service two cylinders.

There seem to be a range of views and I don't quite know where Iridiums fit into the argument.

What I have found is that my copper core F8DC4s provide faithful service and are dirt cheap. I am now running a bit gun-shy. So I intend to keep using the standard plugs until some authority can PROVE that a different plug will not DAMAGE my engine!

I look forward to hearing the experiences of any member who might provide test data or at least anecdotal information.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=155278&highlight=bosch+platinum+plugs

http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120509

RemoLexi
05-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by C280/////AMG
interesting...do you know how much it improved by?

I get about 450-500 highway miles out of a full tank on 91octane, Chevron gas, and I dont mean coasting down a hill I mean 3rd gear, wrong lanes and passing people on the mountain summit.

:)

BrazBenz
05-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by OzC36
Some say that the M104 engine doesn't like platinum plugs due to one coil having to service two cylinders.

There seem to be a range of views and I don't quite know where Iridiums fit into the argument.

What I have found is that my copper core F8DC4s provide faithful service and are dirt cheap. I am now running a bit gun-shy. So I intend to keep using the standard plugs until some authority can PROVE that a different plug will not DAMAGE my engine!

I look forward to hearing the experiences of any member who might provide test data or at least anecdotal information.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=155278&highlight=bosch+platinum+plugs

http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120509

The two links provide very useful info, mostly on platinum plugs.
Also, they make clear we should stay away from R (resistor) plugs as our cabling provides the required resistance and adding more "R" could hurt the coils.
So, my first question about iridiums would be: are they resistor plugs ?