PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold?

mike mac
04-06-2007, 08:24 PM
today i was told that i should get my intake manifold done... i was told that the bends in it were very sharp almost 90 degree, which is true, and it has a bunch of plastic shit all over it lol they said to go to Edelbrock and they can custom make one that will improve performance. what do you guys think?

i have a C 280

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/mike1mac15/DSCN3960.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/mike1mac15/DSCN3959.jpg

BBB DRAGZ
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
aint gona make any difference.

how would the make it better?

omeyhomey
04-07-2007, 12:41 AM
the manifold design is a very good design, nothing you can do to improve it, it is also very good at insulating heat. nothing edelbrock could do to really improve on it there are so many other bottlenecks in the system that you should do. Intake manifold is like bottleneck #273. Do all the other major mods first intake manifold mod would be waste of time and money

C280/////AMG
04-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
the manifold design is a very good design, nothing you can do to improve it, it is also very good at insulating heat. nothing edelbrock could do to really improve on it there are so many other bottlenecks in the system that you should do. Intake manifold is like bottleneck #273. Do all the other major mods first intake manifold mod would be waste of time and money

This is very true. Furthermore, at the factory they've conducted numerous tests regarding the "ram air" effect, which relates to specific sound frequencies and air speeds in the inlet manifold in a way that your inlet manifold is actually tuned in accordance with the inlet valve opening and closing times, as well as the size of the inlet ports so that the sound wave as well as the inertia of the inlet air bouncing against the closed valve actually bounces back and forth inside the inlet manifold in such a rhythm (depending on engine rpm) that it almost forces the air back into the cylinder when the intake valve opens again. So basically don't mess with it.
Furthermore, the materials they use are also better than you'll be able to get aftermarket (keeping price as a factor)

Pagz
04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
3rd that...that OE manifold will be exellent,it will be aimed at a low down streetable torque,and being made out of plastic helps keep manifold temps down.

However....there is always room for improvement...my OE plastic manifold wasnt as tidy as it would seem...the ports didnt line up nicely and inside the runners were small barriers where the two halves were melted together.

We built a custom item for mine so we could eliminate a few of the biggest restrictions on the 230K...the 56mm TB and that sharp 120 degree bend into the TB...those were killa!,we also shortened the runners alot...so i would expect the torque curve to shift higher in the RPM range.

I think it would be more cost effective and pleasing to by the Mosselmann kit=)