PDA

View Full Version : tranny issue?

GDawgC220
08-27-2003, 04:15 AM
hey all,
Usually when you first start up the car in the morning or after a long period of rest for your car, the tranny takes longer to upshift to warm up the cat converter so that it works more efficiently for less emissions. But the past two days, it doesn't hold the gear longer anymore...it just upshifts as if it is already warmed up...but it isn't.

The first occasion, it was sitting outside for more than a day without it being driven and it just shifted normally. Is that normal because of the warm weather? (but it hasn't happened before when it was like 100 degrees outside)...anyone shed some light on this one?

Thanks, G.

GDawgC220
08-27-2003, 06:57 PM
can anyone help? greatly appreciated, thanks.

Three Point 6
09-18-2003, 07:06 PM
GDawgC220,

3 weeks later & somebody will respond! O.k.....

My car does exactly the same thing, but opposite result. It will act like it is cold even after 10 minutes of driving & it wont stop 'bang-shifting' unless I restart the car. Then it will drive fine! I know it has something to do electronicly not mechanicly. Try shutting the car off(traffic depending) and fire it right back up. That should fix it for the rest of the drive. I heard there is a software update out there for the 202 autobox - I dunno???

vas2vas
09-18-2003, 08:44 PM
the question is from which sensor does the ECU use imput from to determine if it should put the transmission into warm up mode or not.....I can tell you that imput from the speed sensor overrides the delayed upshift, after 30 or something miles/hour (exact speed is in driver's manual)......If I was to make an educated guess I would say that it uses engine temp to determine if it should go into warm up mode or not...... I would check the temp sensor that feeds info to the ECU (note: not to the instrument cluster-there should be two different sensors... )
however all of these said the only way to be sure is to get a hold of the wiring diagrams for the main electrical system.....