PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Sports Car feel

VIP_MBZ
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

This may sound like an odd complaint, but my W202 handles way too much like a sports car for me, using the Bilstein sport shocks (F4-B36-1854-H0 and F4-B36-1855-H0). In other words, it handles AWESOME, but the ride is too uncomfortable for my increasingly longer commutes.

So I was wondering what anyone recommended for something that is firmer than stock, but not as rough as Bilstein sport.

I also require that they not be too pricey. I'm up for trading anyone who has shocks that they feel aren't sporty enough. I bought these new last year.

-Ray

Proven Guilty
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Ray,

I just bought a brand new set all around for the W208, and got them from Koni directly. They have a great online sale price right now, and when the sport shocks (yellows) are set to the softest setting, it's actually very compliant. It's dropped on Eibach springs, which also are a little more comfortable of a ride.

So I'd honestly look into this setup, and you're welcome to come for a ride the next time you're in town. Also, on that note; I've got the system pulled and cleaned, and is ready when you are :D

-Chris

edit: I forgot to mention the price. We only paid about $465 for the set of 4 shocks all around. When I bought them for the W202, I paid almost $400 for the fronts alone. They ship from El Cajon, so it would probably only be about a 2-day turn around.

VIP_MBZ
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
I get WD price on both Eibach and Koni, I'll look into it.

Honestly I've wanted to switch to Eibach for a long time. H&R looks great, but is totally not daily driver material if you live anywhere that doesn't have perfect roads.

Like LA.

-Ray

Nelson Lago
04-09-2007, 07:29 PM
REALLY my 280 is soft as a pillow i cant even go around a rotary at 35mph with out feeling like im going to tip over and i want something stiffer what should i get i was thinking of TEIN

VIP_MBZ
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Lago
REALLY my 280 is soft as a pillow i cant even go around a rotary at 35mph with out feeling like im going to tip over and i want something stiffer what should i get i was thinking of TEIN

Tein build quality is crap for the past few years, from personal experience on my Supra (I've used FLEX, SS, and HA).

The Bilstein+H&R combo that I have currently handles VERY VERY well. I have passed a mk4 Supra TT on the 110 North between downtown and Pasadena at over 130 mph. He had way more power than me obviously, but he couldn't handle the turns.

The point, however, is I daily drive this car and I'm looking for something much much less aggressive, and when I want something sportier, I'll just drive the other car.

-Ray

MirageHatch
04-10-2007, 02:08 AM
you gotta get KONI springs with stock shocks.

beautiful ride and nice drop! and cheap!

NEA-4311
04-10-2007, 06:07 AM
KONI red shocks and eibach springs will give you the result you need.

allirroz
04-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ

So I was wondering what anyone recommended for something that is firmer than stock, but not as rough as Bilstein sport.
-Ray

Boge?

rman
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
They ship from El Cajon, so it would probably only be about a 2-day turn around.

possibly ASI, or shox.com on el cajon blvd? they are a licensed distributor and have access to koni's inventory. that's where i got my springs, great place great business ethics.

Proven Guilty
04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by rman
possibly ASI, or shox.com on el cajon blvd? they are a licensed distributor and have access to koni's inventory. that's where i got my springs, great place great business ethics.

shox.com i believe. excellent people to work with, and i was redirected to them directly from ordering off the koni website. i literally got these for next to nothing.

VIP_MBZ
04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Does anybody have a part number for these red Koni shocks? On the site, I only see the Yellow shocks, which are part numbers 8041-1315 and 8041-1316.

-Ray

AirPost
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Try 26-1575 for the fronts and 26-1576 for the rear. I believe they are called Red Special.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7239/koniredfd3.jpg

C280/////AMG
04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Another very good option is the bilstein black series. They're an OEM replacement shock, but better quality and marginally more responsive. I'm using them in combination with my Koni springs, and the ride is perfect for a 10 hour cruz, but they're not stiff enough for me, so i'm upgrading to Koni Yellow adjustables when i have the chance.

Something you must also consider is that if you get these shox, they're not designed for lowered springs, so you can expect them to wear considereably quicker than normal, as the rebound rate of the spring is not matched to the shock (so they told me, but i've been riding like this for about 2 years, and no probs yet)

allirroz
04-11-2007, 03:50 AM
IMO Koni reds are stiff, stiffer than bilstein, though they have 3 adjustments, even at soft I found them stiff, but then again this experience was on a different make and not on a 202 platform . Also the reds are not gas pressurized.. They are mono tube shocks.

Boge gas will give you the best of both worlds.

One other to consider.What size of tires are you on? 18, 19s, ever consider going 17, gives you more rubber and a softer ride

VIP_MBZ
04-11-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm actually just going to change the bushings/control arms first just to start from the chassis and work my way outward. I'm not interested in changing wheels for this purpose because there's no reason that my brother's GS300 can be comfortable on 20x8 and 20x10 with 30 profile and I can't be comfortable on 18's.

Unless the W202/208 chassis just sucks.

And if so, I wouldn't be the first person to say that (I've talked to some unhappy CLK owners). My family did buy my car brand new from the dealer with no sport package, and from that point of view, I can tell you that the w202 was never all that comfortable to begin with. But they sell that to you as "signature German road feel".

-Ray

allirroz
04-11-2007, 09:25 AM
That's quite interesting Ray to say that from the very beginning, you and the rest of your family did not find the C class comfortable.
Was it bought solely because of its name and heritage and bypass the fact the first drive was not impressive at all?

VIP_MBZ
04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by allirroz
That's quite interesting Ray to say that from the very beginning, you and the rest of your family did not find the C class comfortable.
Was it bought solely because of its name and heritage and bypass the fact the first drive was not impressive at all?

Well, first of all, the opinion that it wasn't comfortable is mine, but it was my father who purchased the car. Next of all, different people have different priorities of what makes an impressive drive. My dad feels that it's okay that the car isn't comfortable because he has been driving Mercedes throughout the 70's and 80's and is more concerned with the build quality and safety. And I think it would be denial on some degree if there wasn't some status symbol involved.

Needless to say he has since bought a Lexus and plans to get another Lexus. My brother has undergone the same experience and has purchased 2 Lexi himself. This is not a pro-Toyota stab against Mercedes, I'm just telling you what happened.

As for me, I concede that when you buy a C-class, you are buying into the entry level of a design philosophy that places emphasis on other things (aforementioned build quality, fit and finish, handling perhaps) before comfort, and if you want a more complete package, you have to step into a higher model.

This is why the W202 is not a "keeper" to me, but I do enjoy the W215 and will probably get one later this year. But also note that for CL money, you are buying into much more than a comfortable car, since for less money you could meet or exceed its comfort (though fall short on many other things that make the CL a great car).

-Ray

Nelson Lago
04-14-2007, 06:40 AM
OK why are you saying big words theirs no need and it depends on what 202 you get i belive the elagent is comfortable..................tisk tisk lexsux huh that sux man

714guy
04-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Nelson Lago
OK why are you saying big words theirs no need and it depends on what 202 you get i belive the elagent is comfortable..................tisk tisk lexsux huh that sux man

:confused: :confused:

Please don't get into the mind set that just b/c its a Mercedes its the best thing on the road. After all its just a car, 4 wheels, gets you from point A to B.

Ray you're right the car handles wonderfully with H&R/bilstein combo, but some comfort in sacrificed. I can only imagine LA streets:eek: :eek:

allirroz
04-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Ray, Sorry to hear your sentiments towards the W202 and certainly without question you are entittled to your opinion.

Good luck with the Bushings and Arms,( car should feel like new) hopefully this will retract your opinion that a W202 is not necessarily a keeper even if it is only the entry level MB chassis. I have never ridden or driven a 230K 4 cyl (2.8 V6 is mine) and wondering could the 2 extra cylinders, moreso an AMG 8 motor have anything to do with it being an undesirable model.

Example- LeXUS-V6 and 8 only engines.
Todays Mercedes, realibility is the main issue, even fit and finish has severely declined after merging with Chrysler. The very main reason the older folks have flocked to Acura and Lex. They figure they've have enough headaches dealing with us, the last thing they would want to deal with nowadays is a unreliable and poor CR Reports vehicle.

Nelson Lago
04-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble bu Chrysler doesnt have anything to do with mercedes every Mercedes has mercedes parts notthing is chrysler......... THE ONLY downsid to a benz is elecrtic and oil leaking problem outher then that their solid.

VIP_MBZ
04-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by allirroz

Good luck with the Bushings and Arms,( car should feel like new) hopefully this will retract your opinion that a W202 is not necessarily a keeper even if it is only the entry level MB chassis. I have never ridden or driven a 230K 4 cyl (2.8 V6 is mine) and wondering could the 2 extra cylinders, moreso an AMG 8 motor have anything to do with it being an undesirable model.

I'm pretty hopeful about the bushings, and if not I'll probably still try out different shocks. Changing the springs is somewhat of a pain in the ass, so I'll make that a last resort.

As for the engine, I can say that it definitely has nothing to do with it. I accept that it's an economy vehicle, which makes it a perfect daily driver. Most of my time in this car is spent going less than 50 mph because of commuting between Hollywood and Long Beach.

Todays Mercedes, realibility is the main issue, even fit and finish has severely declined after merging with Chrysler. The very main reason the older folks have flocked to Acura and Lex. They figure they've have enough headaches dealing with us, the last thing they would want to deal with nowadays is a unreliable and poor CR Reports vehicle.

I have no qualms with the w202 in terms of reliability and fit and finish. I've never said it isn't a good car. It just is what it is, and I'm just ready for something more comfortable, and am willing to pay for it.

Why are you typing like a 5 year old? There's no need for that either. This is how I speak, and if it makes you uncomfortable, you probably should avoid educated people.

I have nothing against Mercedes, which is evident since I'm probably replacing my W202 with a W215. So to each his own, some people feel good in an Escalade. That's not me, but variety is the spice of life, and it's great that there's something out there for everyone. And btw I have the elegance version.

-Ray

AirPost
04-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Why are you typing like a 5 year old? There's no need for that either. This is how I speak, and if it makes you uncomfortable, you probably should avoid educated people.

LOL :p

allirroz
04-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
I'm just ready for something more comfortable, and am willing to pay for it.-Ray .

W215- a longer wheelbase chassis..... should solve that issue.

Nelson Lago
04-15-2007, 01:22 PM
I think some one needs a nap