PDA

View Full Version : A/C start making noise

J Irwan
01-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Guys

Any of you experienced this..

Lately I hear a little sort of sqeuaking , but not really squeak, everything when I turn on my A/C-Heater...

One of my friend told me that it most probably the HVAC motor, since some of its internal part become loosen.. (so it won't move as smooth as it should be).

I was wondering if I could replace it my self, or maybe I should have the dealer replace it, since I have aftermarket warranty anyway..

either way, I'd like to find out how involved or costly the replacement is ..

Regardz,

J Irwan

nokia8860
01-21-2003, 07:00 PM
is it a squeaking sound you hear from inside the car?

I noticed mines squeak when I use the heater constantly. Then when the weather warmed up I started using the AC and the sound went away. Now its cold again but I dont run the heater on high so I havent heard it this season.

Could it be the heat drys out the fan of sorts causing the squeaking?

J Irwan
01-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Yeah Joey
the squeaking came from the inside.

the noise is actually sound between squeaking and almost like a cricket noise... :p

I haven't try to turn on my A/C since it is freezingly cold in Mid-West this year :(

I wonder if other member has experienced this, or has replace the HVAC motor due to it's noise..

Regardz,

J Irwan

benzdude
02-02-2004, 07:00 AM
I live in the midwest and its been very cold lately.

I first noticed the same sqeaking noise from my heater fan last week. (I thought It was because I changed my filter and maybe jogged something loose). Also, My fan looked a little rusty.

This morning I drove the car and the fan no longer works. Just makes two clicking sounds when I turn it on or off.

(I guess I should have greased the sucker a long time ago.)

I will work on it tonight and see what the problem is.
a new motor costs $260 bucks at the dealer.

Its going to be a very cold drive back home tonight.

benzdude

vas2vas
02-02-2004, 08:07 AM
yeah my fan makes a whine after working for a few minutes at max speed... has been working overtime with this crappy northeast weather... i turn it down manually (to 1 usually) and the whine goes away.... one of these days I'm gonna clean the cabin filter too, and open up the outside air inlets and clean them from leafs and stuff, but not likely before spring :(

benzdude
02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
After a long (and very cold) trip home I pulled the cover off of the blower motor, gave it a quick spin with my hand and then started the a/c...and it worked! I then top it off with some lithium grease.

took me 5 minutes.

I think this weekend I will completely remove the motor and grease the other moving parts.

looks like the motor assembly is held on by three screws (with special heads, star shaped grooves).

whew! That was a close one. (The noise is gone also).

J Irwan
02-02-2004, 06:40 PM
nice..

maybe I'll grease-up my motor too when the weather getting a little warmer.. :)

Regardz,

benzdude
02-03-2004, 02:10 PM
heres a pic of the motor

http://www.geocities.com/benzdude2003/ac_blower_motor.jpg

benzdude
02-03-2004, 02:11 PM
oh well..:(

ac blower motor (http://www.geocities.com/benzdude2003/ac_blower_motor.jpg)

htfan1
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I have a similar high pitch "squeeking" noise problem.

When my AC/Heater system is on in any mode other than "defrost", I get a sporadic squeek noise. It is not related to fan speed in any way. I've tried all modes & fan speeds and the noise is similar.

Only when the AC/Heater is off or in the defrost mode does it stay quiet.

Any ideas? How tough is it to get at the system to investigate?

03-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by htfan1
I have a similar high pitch "squeeking" noise problem.

When my AC/Heater system is on in any mode other than "defrost", I get a sporadic squeek noise. It is not related to fan speed in any way. I've tried all modes & fan speeds and the noise is similar.

Only when the AC/Heater is off or in the defrost mode does it stay quiet.

Any ideas? How tough is it to get at the system to investigate?

There are a lot of similar treads on the blower motor, look here:http://club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4543&perpage=15&highlight=blower%20motor&pagenumber=2

there is link in my tread reply, relevant to another forum with the full description of the blower motor removal.

As first suggestion, check the electric contacts and the brushes. Clean off all the debrites.:)