PDA

View Full Version : Rim cleaning

Green Lantern
04-15-2007, 02:08 PM
What do u guys use to clean your rims? my front 2 rims are down right dirty. they're blacker than black and when i tried the cleaning solution made for wheels, they still didnt come off. please leave your tips and im wondering if paint thinner would work?

- 1994 C280 15" alum alloys

snead888
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
how did they get that black

vcruiser
04-15-2007, 02:58 PM
if its brake dust that keeps gathering up without any car washes. then id suggest u wash ur car every once in a while.

if its something else.. what the hell is it ?

taimyshukah
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I used this stuff on my chrome stock 15's. Made it super clean!
http://www.1010tires.com/images/accessories/motherspolish_large.jpg

It's very easy to apply. After you've cleaned it, put wax on your rims the next time you wash your car. It makes it easier to wipe off the brake dust with a rag once you have a coat of wax on it. The brake dust comes right off after it's been waxed.

Green Lantern
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
i think the owner before didnt take care of the rims but it is really dark and i have no way to get it off and its on the front two that are extremely dirty. i washed my car yesterday and tried to get it off but it didnt work. problem with that wax is that i need to get the rim clean and then i can apply that wax on. any more suggestions?

anf6789
04-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Mr. Clean Magic eraser. it worked really good on my stock 15s. took dirt out of scratches. i like them alot. try it, dont really know how bad your wheel's are though

Nelson Lago
04-15-2007, 07:17 PM
i all ways used armor all wheele cleaner its the best i had the same thing my rims where blacker then night and use armorall and it came right off its a grey ish silver ish bottle and it says Status faction garneted, get it and you will love it.

97C28O
04-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I recently got new brake pads and rotors and new set of rims. Too keep them clean, I used Axxis/PBR Deluxe Brake Pads and they have been working good. I used to get a lot of brake dust from a day or two of driving. It's been 4 days and I haven't spot any brake dust. My rears got more than my front now and I just cleaned my car 2 days ago.

To ease up wheel cleaning, I use EagleOne All Wheel & Tire Cleaner http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/AWTC.jpg
and recently started to use Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.
http://meguiars.com/estore/products/product_G9524.jpg

I used Meguiar's NXT Generation All Metal Polysh on my new rims and my stock 15" Chrome Sport rims. I also use that product on my hood star and that shit makes it BLINGGGGGG.
http://meguiars.com/estore/products/product_G13005.jpg

anf6789
04-15-2007, 07:23 PM
do you think if i used that meguirs polish on my gold emblems it would take the gold off? they are kinda dulland would like to make them shine

97C28O
04-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure about that...

Denlasoul
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Diluted Simple Green. I've been using it for years and its great.

svt ricco
04-15-2007, 09:33 PM
try using car wax, i tried to paint my rims black but i got some on the edges so i tried the turtle wax and it came off without damaging the clearcoat of my rims

OCKlasse
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
use some #0000 steel wool if it's being a major bitch...just be careful!

ron
04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Im gonna give you the LONG way of doing it but the best...

First give them a good wash with something strong, like p21s gel wheel cleaner, simple green etc... Then scrub them down with a meguiars wheel brush and that same wash solution. After youve got the big stuff off, go at it with some p21s polishing soap, then remove the residue with a wheel cleaner.

Dry the wheels thoroughly, then apply klasse all in one, let dry, remove.

jnolte
04-16-2007, 12:58 AM
blue magic polish!

vcruiser
04-16-2007, 02:41 AM
saliva

anf6789
04-16-2007, 07:19 AM
haha

Nelson Lago
04-16-2007, 07:37 AM
I need rims im still runnin stockies

Cru328prod
04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
ZEP PURPLE STUFF (http://www.zep.com/ProductCatalog/ProductSearch.asp)

Purple Stuff works greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, even when diluted. its very strong i would say use that and then put some rim wax,

Theres also Wheelbright (http://www.autoday.co.uk/extend_details_16.php)

Green Lantern
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
i actually had the magic eraser in my closet but i forgot about it, im gonna try that first and if it doesnt work then ill try the others.

kaiserh
04-17-2007, 10:53 PM
oops

kaiserh
04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 97C28O
I recently got new brake pads and rotors and new set of rims. Too keep them clean, I used Axxis/PBR Deluxe Brake Pads and they have been working good. I used to get a lot of brake dust from a day or two of driving. It's been 4 days and I haven't spot any brake dust. My rears got more than my front now and I just cleaned my car 2 days ago.

To ease up wheel cleaning, I use EagleOne All Wheel & Tire Cleaner http://www.eagleone.com/images/products/AWTC.jpg
and recently started to use Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.
http://meguiars.com/estore/products/product_G9524.jpg

I used Meguiar's NXT Generation All Metal Polysh on my new rims and my stock 15" Chrome Sport rims. I also use that product on my hood star and that shit makes it BLINGGGGGG.
http://meguiars.com/estore/products/product_G13005.jpg

when I bought my 1997 c280 6 months ago,I didn't even know if my rims were chrome or not,I used all 3 that you have posted, all wheel clean was amazing,now it shines all the time.

Green Lantern
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
ok ive used the Mr. Clean magic eraser and it worked pretty good, im impressed with it. but the problem is that there are still specks of dirt/brake dust on the rim but im going to try the Meguiars rim cleaner and ill see if that is any better. thanks for the advice guys.

Green Lantern
04-19-2007, 05:39 PM
tried the Meguiars rim cleaner and there are still little specks of dirt or w/e it is still in the rim, im gonna wash my car and wax this sunday and going to try it again but gonna scrub it this time.

alhang
04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Use any commercially available liquid automatic dishwasher detergent. Cascade, Electrosol, whatever. You probably already have some in your home.

Dilute whatever amount you want to use with the same amount of water. I usually use a 1/4 cup of Cascade with the same amount of water. Just like most other chemicals, do not use this on a hot rim or leave it on to dry. Hose off your rim first.This will easily do a rim or two, mix the diluted solution with an old toothbrush. Brush your wheels and rinse them off after about 20-30 seconds.

One application is all it usually takes, no scrubbing necessary even if your rims are blackened.

kaiserh
04-24-2007, 09:43 PM
I have noticed pieces of chrome peeling off in from one of the rims,mot sure if it is from old aga or I am doing something wrong.

undercover
05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by kaiserh
I have noticed pieces of chrome peeling off in from one of the rims,mot sure if it is from old aga or I am doing something wrong.
chrome peeling means that your rims are corroding of your rims..its happening to mine at the mo. and im also getting heat bubbles under my chrome coating..think the pervious owner was running some extreme heat on the rims man...

and also for getting rid of those lil spots what i did when i was on stocks i took the rim off lied it flat on its back and jsut cut and polished it with alot of elbow greece :D it works :P
if not it might be little specks of tar from the rd so your need to get ahh..those things that your scrap BBQ's with after cooking? but like a smaller version i just used a lil peice of flat metal(which was a metal ruler) and lightly scraped it till it came off then cut and polished it :P

kaiserh
05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
not a bad idea,I got heat bubbles too,previous own never even cleaned the rim.

are those break dust protectors any good?

undercover
05-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by kaiserh
not a bad idea,I got heat bubbles too,previous own never even cleaned the rim.

are those break dust protectors any good?

yeah heat bubbles and peeling really annoys me when im cleaning my rims im like..sigh..why? why me? lol :P if i could get another set of these rims i would! but where to look yeah know? lol

yeah their good, but its just really all about like cleaning your car and rims constantly, if not give this a try, because break dust isnt just on your rim its all inside your gaurds and what not, i jacked up the front of my car and took the rims off then water blasted the insides of the gaurds staying clear of the break lines, if you do; do this, i recommend to not go to close to the insides of the gaurds! keep a 25 - 30cm away is good enough :) and once your done you'll see lots of oil and black stuff all over the ground :D lol..

benzonline
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Good post! I never really had much issue with brake dust since I wash it enough and I always waxed the rims when I waxed the car. I guess there is enough wax on the rims because when it rains, more than 50% of the brake dust comes off on its own. ;)

undercover
05-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by benzonline
Good post! I never really had much issue with brake dust since I wash it enough and I always waxed the rims when I waxed the car. I guess there is enough wax on the rims because when it rains, more than 50% of the brake dust comes off on its own. ;)

lol
i havent wax'd my car in YONKS! havent had alot of time..so busy with uni :(