PDA

View Full Version : Bought AMG illuminated door sills

jnolte
08-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey I bought illuminated door sills today and they are coming in the mail. Does anybody have experinces with these?? Are they hard to install?? Im assumin its just a 3 wire hookup and you tap into the domelight or door open/close switch.:D

Renn 208
08-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Really, it can go either way. If you want to keep things simple, it can be just as easy as tapping the switch wire and laying the sill on top of the door.

My install, however, took about two days of work...but I think it was worth it. No splicing, no cutting, kept my original sill (important to me, cause it would cost $300+ to get the same sills from the dealership if I ever wanted to go back), system is fully removable without a trace, and no exposed EL strip or wire.

The only complaint I have is about the build quality of the sill itself. It doesn't sit perfectly on top of the MB sill, and has a slight overhang on the inner and outer edges. I still really don't see why someone doesn't just make a full replacement sill instead of a stick-on-top one.

Of course this is on a 208....so maybe the 202 one you have may come out better.

slk320
08-28-2003, 01:02 PM
I have the same problem with my R170. the edges of my new "brabus" el door sills stick out a little becuas they are covers for the original sills... I too had to spend extra time packaging the wires up so that they can be removable., but now its nice and blue and perty! ;) :D

jnolte
08-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by slk320
I have the same problem with my R170. the edges of my new "brabus" el door sills stick out a little becuas they are covers for the original sills... I too had to spend extra time packaging the wires up so that they can be removable., but now its nice and blue and perty! ;) :D

Is it hard to hook up?/ How did u do it?

slk320
08-29-2003, 07:10 AM
I guess the mechanics of hooking it up are not difficult, you have to take off your exisiting door sills and the trim around the door and feed the wire through, but on my car (R170) it was rather difficult to locate proper wires due to previously done neon/radio work...

I had no problems wiring the door sills on my old W210.

I heard from a friend (after I already installed the sills) that there is a painless way of doing it by locating your door pin, pulling it out and taping into that wire directly... I have not experimented with it, but should work just fine...

I will do a write up on the way I did mine with pictures wire photos, so stay tuned ;)

jnolte
08-29-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by slk320
I guess the mechanics of hooking it up are not difficult, you have to take off your exisiting door sills and the trim around the door and feed the wire through, but on my car (R170) it was rather difficult to locate proper wires due to previously done neon/radio work...

I had no problems wiring the door sills on my old W210.

I heard from a friend (after I already installed the sills) that there is a painless way of doing it by locating your door pin, pulling it out and taping into that wire directly... I have not experimented with it, but should work just fine...

I will do a write up on the way I did mine with pictures wire photos, so stay tuned ;)

I dont know if i really want to put them in. I may just sell them and get non illumination ones. Do you think they are worth it?

Renn 208
08-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
I dont know if i really want to put them in. I may just sell them and get non illumination ones. Do you think they are worth it?

the cold feet modding continues eh? No worries, do it all the time myself.

J Irwan
08-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
Is it hard to hook up?/ How did u do it?

piece of cake

very easy and simple

skill needed: basic electronice skill :D:D:D

The only timing consuming part is to find the right wires, which it not a biggie at all.

Regardz,

jnolte
08-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
piece of cake

very easy and simple

skill needed: basic electronice skill :D:D:D

The only timing consuming part is to find the right wires, which it not a biggie at all.

Regardz,

You have thes sills yourself. I was wondering if they are of high quality and worth it. Over time will the illumination go out and be cheesy. I was thinking of selling them and getting the non illu ones or if someone wants to trade and give me like 40 bucks since they are brand new and i payed 185.00

slk320
08-29-2003, 09:33 AM
illumination will not deteriorate over time. will add a lot of high end class to your car, especially at night.. People will be more impressed with that part of your car than you wheels and bodykit.

I used to get looks and double takes in the city all the time when you open the door and the door sills light up...Its worth it. (It certainly is higher quality than OEM Mercedes door sills from the factory...:rolleyes:

slk320
09-01-2003, 12:03 PM
this is what the intalled product looks like with lights on:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/211000-211999/211341_55_full.jpg

and lights off:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/211000-211999/211341_54_full.jpg

;)

kameraguy
09-02-2003, 08:54 AM
If you are having cold feet, you can always sell them to me :D

jnolte
09-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by kameraguy
If you are having cold feet, you can always sell them to me :D

Hey kameraguy

i will sell them to you for what i bought them for. 185.00 shipped to your place.

kameraguy
09-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Are you sure you don't want them? Because they are pretty hard to come by.

Don't get me wrong, I WILL buy them from you, but only if you are really sure you don't want them.

They do look nice when installed.

Junaidi, do you have pics of yours? Maybe that's what jnolte needs to see to make his decision to keep them :p

But if you are sure you don't wan't them, can you e-mail me some pics? I will buy them, just let me know :) kameraguy420@yahoo.com

No problem if you want to keep them though. Actually I think you should so you can have a nice relatively rare mod for your car.

slk320
09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Jerry from www.formymercedes.com has them...

http://formymercedes.com/images/J0116AMG.jpg

for $159.00

You have to call him to order, if you want.

kameraguy
09-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, the ones on myroadster look better compared to the ones on ebay. The ebay ones look a bit off, like the letters are too tall.

I will have to get the ones from myroadster. Sorry to have bothered you jnolte. hope you understand. I would have bought them if they were more accurate looking :(