View Full Version : Uneven tire wear and pull to the right.

BayAreaBenzDude
04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
My car pulls to the right, I mean real strong pull, not a slow drift. Even at low speeds when I let go of the wheel, the car will pull to the right. It is not only unsafe (I have ding on the right fender caused by a rolling pull when looking for directions ), but a major annoyance. I have to hold the wheel slightly turned to the left to get the car straight. Below is some symptoms and diagonsis of the pull.

1) I don't think the pull is due to the bent rims, bent rims should show up during tire balance, right? My tires were balanced recently.

2) My new set of Bridgestone, Potnezas started wearing out on the outer edges. The rear right wearing out on the outside than the front right on the outside - the rear right outside wear is very pronounced. Below is the picture taken after a recent tire rotation. [I'm attaching the pictures to this thread as a separate post].

3) This the second set that is wearing out similarly, my previous set was Pirelli P6000. When I had Pirelliset on the car, the dealer and independent shop where I live, kept telling me it was the bad tire causing the pull not the suspension. The dealer did the alignment twice on this set, nothing obvious jumped out.

4) On the current Bridgestone, Potneza set, which was installed by Wheel Works, the car started pulling to the right after this set was installed. The alignment was done during the install. I took it back the alignment was checked and it was in spec., this did not still solve the problem. I got cyncical of the Wheel Works alignment and took the car to MB dealer ship, and the alignment was in spec. Now after 3 alignments nothing at changed.

5) Before the Pirelli's were installed the independant shop noticed the steering shock had worn out (the car 40K miles then) and replaced it.

6) I have been noticing tire wear on the right side slowly wearing out the outer edge. I was shocked to see the tire wear after a recent tire rotation, the Potenza's have only 14K miles on them.

7) When stopped on a uneven surface the car wheel will turn to the right.

8) The dealership and the independant shop checked the suspension (yeah, I paid them both and they told the suspension was clean).

Given all these symptoms, I'm tending to think it's supension problem not a tire problem. Given the many components part of the suspension, I'm suspecting the shocks, springs, ball joints, front rear control arm bushings or subframe. I don't want to replace all, my philosphy has been don't replace if it ain't broke. As you can tell, I'm very keen on identifying the problem and getting this fixed than sell the car. Even if I sell the car, I don't want to pass the problem to another owner. Otherwise I love this car.

I'm told the front rear control arm bushings wear out on this model, I'm thinking of replacing the them. I found a Polyurethene bushing <www.lpdauto.com>. I will be replacing the front rear control arm bushing with Polyurethene and the other front one with OEM control arm bushing. Also I'm going to check the ball joints and replace them if necessary.

The car is '99 C230K sedan, sport suspension, all stock, has 70K miles on the odo. Never been in an accident, never abused. I bought this one used, at 24K. I checked the carfax report, I did not see any accident report on the car.

I'm seeking the wisdom of the list to shed some light on this problem.

And any recommendation for a independant shop in the San Francisco, bay area? I live in San Francisco, and work in San Jose, any place around San Fran. and SJ is good.

BayAreaBenzDude
04-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Front right tire picture (was in the rear right before the rotation)
http://mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103315&d=1177107162

BayAreaBenzDude
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Rear right tire picture (was in the front right before the rotation)

http://mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103316&d=1177107840

Proven Guilty
04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
the pics aren't working for me, but it sounds 100% like it's your control arm bushings, and tie rod ends. the steering shocks on these cars leak very easily, and they are luckily very inexpensive to change and easy to do as well.

the LPD bushings for the rear set will also help stiffen things up, and but they tend to be louder when running an aftermarket springs/shocks setup because the geometry of the front end is so much different when you lower vs. stock height as they were designed for.

the rears wear out so fast because of the shape of the control arm. it puts a lot more stress on the rears, and the fronts seem to pivot perfectly, so mileage doesn't seem to matter so much on the LCA's as much as age causing the rubber to decay.

good luck with the troubleshooting; i would do your bushings first in your shoes, and double check the front sways to make sure they're snug. there's two 13mm nuts on each side of the car - make sure the bushings on the sways didn't slip as well, causing the bar itself to shift into an unnatural position.

if you replace the ball joints, they should also correct alignment issues you may be having (if its still in spec, but not where you'd like it to be).

C280/////AMG
04-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Sounds definately like Lower control arm bushes. I had exactly the same symptoms when mine were worn.
Does your car skip sideways when you hit uneven road?

However, when fitting new bushes, take note that the hole in the middle of the large bush is eccentric, so if they don't install the left side the same as the right, you'll have problems setting your wheel alignment properly. And once the bushes have been fitted, chances are that they have to break them to take them out again (been there). So just be present when they're fitting the bushes

OzC36
04-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Something very wrong with this "picture".

Suggest you get someone cross-check every part number on your suspension and make sure that they match left to right.