PDA

View Full Version : Sparkplug recommendation

714guy
08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Which ones are good and what do i look for in a plug?? Please explain some of the technaical terms too if you use them.

What about denso idrium?? can i get these locally or where online??

thanks

Jason

JRE320
08-28-2003, 12:31 AM
I had the 4pt spark plug before on my C-class and I'm happy with it. Never encountered any problem with it. Now I got the OEM ones and IMHO the 4pt. performs much better. ;)

714guy
08-28-2003, 05:44 AM
what 4pt and where can i get them at??

Thanks

JRE320
08-28-2003, 08:16 AM
4pt. by Bosch and you can get it at any Kragen or PepBoys store. ;)

speedybenz
08-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Check out the Champion double plats. I have not had much luck with the Bosch plugs, but other have.

Your engine will help you decide as some plugs will work better than others in some engines.

I personally like single ground strap spark plugs over multi ground strap plugs like the Bosch +4.

Jeff

714guy
08-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Check out the Champion double plats. I have not had much luck with the Bosch plugs, but other have.

Your engine will help you decide as some plugs will work better than others in some engines.

I personally like single ground strap spark plugs over multi ground strap plugs like the Bosch +4.

Jeff

do you remember what the gap was?? i

speedybenz
08-28-2003, 11:48 AM
714guy,

I think the gap was around 0.040"/1mm, the Champions. The only plugs that my engine likes better are the Denso Iriduim, but the diff is small and probably not worth the extra cost.

If you really want to try something different get the surface gap Champion race plugs. On some engines they can be worth a few Hp. But again it just depends on what your engines works best with.

I think a lot depends on the shape of the combustion chamber and combustion pressure your engine produces and the temp at which all this occurs.

Personal preference I guess.

Jeff

J Irwan
08-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Here is my experience

for some car plat might works and performs better
and not on some cars

if your car doesn't come with a platinum sparkplug then try to stay away from it

I decided to get Beru Ultra-X for my C36.
it has 4 electrode tips and it is non platinum,

The moment I installed it, I can feel the difference vs OEM plugs.
Smoother idle, and the acceleration also feel smoother as well.

Regardz,

714guy
08-29-2003, 12:45 PM
I took jeff recommendation and got the double plats since it was easy to get. After i put them in totally different sound to the motor than before i could it was working on all 6 cylinders, But it was still idleing all funky.

I then did some research and found that instead of a gap of .032 like it said it should be .04 instead did that this mourning, and it still ideled funky for the first min. or so then went back to normal, but once and a while it'll drop lik 50rpms then go that back up and you can feel a subtle shake in the car, i don't if thats normal but so far no more CEL.

next will be ordering some new wires.

:)

JRE320
09-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Try adding some injector cleaners when you fill up your gas tank.
Then try to see if your idle would be back to normal other wise you got other problems. ;)

CKlasse
09-01-2003, 03:10 PM
I highly recommend BG as far as injector cleaner... and sorry JRE.. no i still haven't had the time to take out my injectors out again to show you how to clean it :(

98c43amg
09-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 714guy

What about denso idrium?? can i get these locally or where online??

I was going to install these soon too. My performance-oriented mechanic was telling me a story that he never found any plugs to change the dyno graph on a car he was tuning except for Denso Iridiums.

You can find out where to get them here (http://denso.idealerquik.com/iridium/custinfo.asp) (or order them directly there too).

714guy
03-03-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Here is my experience

I decided to get Beru Ultra-X for my C36.
it has 4 electrode tips and it is non platinum,

The moment I installed it, I can feel the difference vs OEM plugs.
Smoother idle, and the acceleration also feel smoother as well.

Regardz,

J Irwan where can i get these at?? what a good price also??

Thanks

Jason

sleek_benzo
03-03-2005, 07:21 AM
quick question..

maybe offtopic i'm not sure...

my rpm lingers around 6-7 ... is that norm??

714guy
03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by sleek_benzo
quick question..

maybe offtopic i'm not sure...

my rpm lingers around 6-7 ... is that norm??

Yep i just smogged my car the other day and it was between 680 - 710.

sleek_benzo
03-03-2005, 09:10 AM
cool.. i was getting alittle worried there...

Nitrous911
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
What is the steps in installing spark plugs?Is it an easy installation for a newbie?What parts would i need to take out and what tools?I have never done it before on any other car, so i want to try on my car,I dont even know where they are..I need lots of help.

J Irwan
03-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
J Irwan where can i get these at?? what a good price also??

Thanks

Jason

Jason I bought them from this place (http://www.eurosportacc.com).

Called them up and order them.

Regardz,

03-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Nitrous911
What is the steps in installing spark plugs?Is it an easy installation for a newbie?What parts would i need to take out and what tools?I have never done it before on any other car, so i want to try on my car,I dont even know where they are..I need lots of help.

mmm yes and no, you need a wrench (better if calibrated with the correct torque value), and a spark plug adaptor. Furthere you need and enough amount of calm, to avoid damage to threads or overtightening.

So not quite difficoult but really dangerous if you have some doubt, bring to the mechanic.

Further pay attention to the spark cable: avoiding wrong connection is better to procede one by one spark pluk.

Further, never start the engine with a spark plug socket (without the spark plug itself) near car body, you destroy the ECU.

Hope to be helpfull.

Hi:)

Nitrous911
03-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Yeah...sounds a little advance for me.Thanks for the info.I am better off leaving it to someone who knows some shit.