PDA

View Full Version : Air Flow (just trying to get this right)

Cru328prod
04-27-2007, 06:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/Untitled-1-2.jpg

Does this look right to you guys

jnenad16
04-27-2007, 04:57 PM
doesnt 76 blow back into the air box?

nenad

Pagz
04-27-2007, 06:22 PM
76 does draw air in but only when the SC is disengaged,ie at idle....otherwise its venting pressure back into the filter box after acceleration when the throttle is snapped shut or constantly venting in cruise conditions.

Cru328prod
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 23K
76 does draw air in but only when the SC is disengaged,ie at idle....otherwise its venting pressure back into the filter box after acceleration when the throttle is snapped shut or constantly venting in cruise conditions.

See this is the thing i didn't understand, Why would it blow back into the airbox? So what it means to me is that 76 is always open untill the supercharger comes on, and closed when engaged? The only reason why im trying figure this out is because i want to make a cold air intake thats one piece like a Y tube and bring it all the way down almost to the bottom of the car.

Pagz
04-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
See this is the thing i didn't understand, Why would it blow back into the airbox? So what it means to me is that 76 is always open untill the supercharger comes on, and closed when engaged? The only reason why im trying figure this out is because i want to make a cold air intake thats one piece like a Y tube and bring it all the way down almost to the bottom of the car.

The workings of the system revolve around the current throttle position,vehicle speed and RPM.
The bypass works independantly from the SC,ie the bypass doesnt close because the SC clutch has been activated.

I forget the exact values as its been so long since i had my SC running,however the SC clutch will engage if you are moving faster than about 5kms at idle...It will also engage if you are above a specific RPM when the vehicle is at a stand still.
In both cases above the bypass will not close unless you are applying a specific amount of throttle.

"IMO" the SC clutch needs to be engaged at a low RPM or vehicel speed to avoid a short clutch life and to take away the unwanted stress it would have on the system if it did engage at a high rpm(I would imagine the SC to be far more load than say the AC pump,but you may find the AC pump will initially only engage under a specific RPM as well)

"IMO" the bypass needs to be open during cruise/idle to take unwanted load off the SC and engine thus increasing fuel ecconomy...another reason for the bypass being open could be the volume of air it producess vs how much is being drawn into the engine at the current throttle position/RPM.

The "Y" pipe idea is good,that way you get away with one filter and eliminate alot of the bypass noise if thats you cup of tea.
i would think it to be best if the "Y" merged towards the SC intake to avoid flow conflict...

Let us know how you get on=)