PDA

View Full Version : $25 for Caliper bolt!!!!

CKlasse
01-21-2003, 08:15 PM
I broke my caliper bolt while torquing it (dont ask how).. call all local dealerships, no one has them.. I had to special order the caliper bolt/pin for $25 EACH!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? Meanwhile, I went to homedepot, find the 8mm bolt for 50cent and cut it to the oem's length. It should hold until the OEM arrives..but $25 PER BOLT? thats $50 per caliper.. or $200 in bolts for 4 calipers! :mad: !

Oh yeah.. finally, I finished the suspension.. new lower front bushings, new shocks around, GREAT looking cross-drilled rotors from 'Power stop,' Mintex racing brake pads, new set of Pzeros (225 and 255) and custom cup kits on cut stock springs based on speedybenz' kit. The car rides stiff and smooth at 1" drop. I will need camber kit for further drop.

Next, exterior upgrades... hmmm brabus kit? Xenon? gotta browse 202's gallery!

JRE320
01-22-2003, 01:57 AM
So you are also a victim of stealership.
If you a bolt for $25 wait till you burn out a bulb on your dash cluster then you'll get a heart attack and be calling 911!!!
It cost $6.00 EACH!!!! I paid $120 for 20 of them when I pulled out my dash cluster. :mad: :( :p ;)

maxboxa
01-22-2003, 07:57 AM
damn, you must be He-Man! i'd imagine it's pretty damn hard to break that bolt. what are you torquing it to?

CKlasse
01-22-2003, 08:39 AM
been there before.. $5/6 per bulb depending whether its the blue or pink ones. :(

If you work on cars often enough.. breaking bolts are pretty commons..especially on 'suspensions.' But breaking Merc's bolt is painful!!!!!

speedybenz
01-22-2003, 12:13 PM
For buying Metric bolts, the best place I have found is to go to your local Motorcycle Wrecker. They have tons of bolts, washers, nuts, etc. Most all are grade 8 or better and way cheaper.

You just go in and grab a bunch of bolts, say 10 to 20 pounds and pay maybe $20 for all of it. Then you get a whole range of stuff to use.

CKlasse,

Can you give some detail on changing the lower and upper control arm bushings. What method did you use and degree of difficulty. Plus did it make a difference in the way the car drove and did it reduce bump noise?

Thanks,

Jeff