PDA

View Full Version : Increase HP: Do-it-Yourself

Benz Newbie
05-01-2007, 03:55 AM
im not very mechanically knowledgable on autos, but are there easy ways to increase HP by doing your own mods. like building a custom intake isnt difficult as i read on this forum. are there other engine mods or performance mods that the Average Joe can do to increase HP without having to pay mechanics, etc?

Benz Newbie
05-01-2007, 03:56 AM
also what are some common ways to make the engine sound "better" on the w202?

Cru328prod
05-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Benz Newbie
also what are some common ways to make the engine sound "better" on the w202?

I was told relocating the MAS will help alot and was very simple, but i've been searching everywhere to find steps with pictures.

C280/////AMG
05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
I've heard the opposite...that relocating the MAS will actually cause problems, as the ECU knows where the location of all these sensors are, therefore by interfering with them, you'll be giving the ECU incorrect info.

Nitrogenbalance
05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
I was told relocating the MAS will help alot and was very simple, but i've been searching everywhere to find steps with pictures.

I think this is whats done when you increase the S/C pulley diameter. I think the increase in boost is why it's needed, I think?

As far as DIY mods go......there out there, it's just a matter of how much and what you can do.

CAI is one easy option. Porting and polishing are age old proven methods but really challange the DIY'er. A crankcase evac system with a windage try in the oil pan, etc....all things that have proven HP for years but come down to what you can do. I built a 454 for my first pickup truck years ago so I learned tons of easy tricks for N/A ole' skool domestics. Newer motors are alot tricker I've found out.

What model are you driving??

Pagz
05-01-2007, 11:30 AM
heres an old thread on removing the wire mesh under your TB(pretty sure all M111 with plastic manifold has it)...most likely wont net you much but it will do somthing for sure.

most of the photos have gone now though...just pull the mesh out of the o-ring and re-use the o-ring.
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8356&highlight=Throttle+body

Benz Newbie
05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
would that work on a preupdate c280?

Benz Newbie
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
you know how Mercedes builds its cars to pass emissions and perform in a certain way. is there anything in a c280 or other w202s that they put that limits power that you can remove to increase power. for example in the MAS thread some of you have removed the mesh for instance, is there anything else that can be altered or removed that can increase HP?

Pagz
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Benz Newbie
would that work on a preupdate c280?

its more than likely the 280 has a mesh filter under the TB,try removing the TB for a look!.

C280/////AMG
05-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 23K
heres an old thread on removing the wire mesh under your TB(pretty sure all M111 with plastic manifold has it)...most likely wont net you much but it will do somthing for sure.

most of the photos have gone now though...just pull the mesh out of the o-ring and re-use the o-ring.

Hey paul, i'm vert keen to try this 'mesh behind the TB' mod. Do i have to take off my intake manifold?

Edit: Just had a look and noticed oil 'sweating' on my TB. (on the outside by the hex bolts) Is this normal?

blind26
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
On 104 motors, there is no mesh. The only 'mesh' so to speak is the plastic mesh, pre-maf sensor.

C280/////AMG
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey blind, why would they have no mesh on the 6 cylinder, but on the 4 cylinder?

blind26
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Not sure...

For those that know, is the mesh on the Kompressor 4 cylindars, or all of them?

The M104 motors are just a 63mm tb bolted to an aluminum Y pipe, no mesh filter media underneath.

Benz Newbie
05-01-2007, 01:24 PM
i looked into that MAS tube and could not find any mesh filter. is there anything else thats restrictive that we could remove to increase horsepower?

for example can the engines electronics be easily modified to increase HP? any suggestions

Pagz
05-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by C280/////AMG
Hey paul, i'm vert keen to try this 'mesh behind the TB' mod. Do i have to take off my intake manifold?

Edit: Just had a look and noticed oil 'sweating' on my TB. (on the outside by the hex bolts) Is this normal?

From the replies here it looks like the 6 cylinder may not have the filter.

i know Rollin's 202,which is now Remolexi's(m111 na from the link i posted) had one,so this means its commen on all M111.
You shouldnt need to remove the intake plenum,just remove piping and the associated fasteners holding the TB to the plenum.

C280/////AMG
05-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks

Now, another mod i've been thinking about, but know nothing about is 'water injection'.

I know it's a fairly common mod on highly boosted turbo cars to cool down the turbo, but i heard that it also has other properties such as increasing humidiy and pressure in the cylinder, hence increasing hp. What do you guys know about this?

What do u guys say to fitting water injection to a NA car?

jnenad16
05-01-2007, 01:57 PM
here is a list of mods I had on my C280(plus 3.2L swap). this should make some of you happy:D
http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2577&page=2

nenad

sirwhite4
05-01-2007, 07:31 PM
at some point this summer i am probably going to remove my cat. ill let everyone know how that works out, its pretty much guaranteed hp increase + weight loss.

Benz Newbie
05-02-2007, 04:00 AM
whats a "cat"?

Len013091
05-02-2007, 04:34 AM
It's a catalytic converter, typically, you can't take these out... legally unless you don't plan to take it on main roads. From what I've read, this is almost a guarunteed power increase.

Benz Newbie
05-02-2007, 06:51 AM
will u not be able to pass emissions test without it? also can te stock muffler exhaust on c280 be mofified to increase HP? can it be modified to make it "sound better"?
thanks

Cru328prod
05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Len013091
It's a catalytic converter, typically, you can't take these out... legally unless you don't plan to take it on main roads. From what I've read, this is almost a guarunteed power increase.

Why would you take out the Cat, when you can just hallow it out.

sirwhite4
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
its hollow.

i will remove it intact and preserve it in case i need to pass an emissions test in this car in the future, or if i need the cat installed for resale or trade in.

sirwhite4
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
the catalytic converter is filled with a charcoal-like substance to reduce emissions. its quite heavy and, being in the exhaust line, significantly increases backpressure. removing it and replacing it with a straight pipe reduces weight and backpressure, allowing the engine to operate more efficiently, which you would notice by quicker rpm gain and a nominal power gain.