PDA

View Full Version : W208 control arm bushings -

RemoLexi
05-01-2007, 06:13 PM
did you guys know that the W208 control arm bushings fit our W202's ?? I was told this today im not 100% sure but sounds true.

the W208 bushings are solid filled rubber unlike the w202 ones are partially rubber and partially gapped for more softness.

I will be installing W208 bushings later this month, goal is to get set of new tires, H&R cup kit, H&R front and back sways, Caster kit, those W208 front conrol arm bushings, maybe the rear bushings too, then onto the alighnment rack.

what do you guys think ? or should i go for the polyurathene bushings but where do I find those and $$ ?

Proven Guilty
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
You are correct. The W208 are solid rubber, and are more firm/sporty similar to the poly bushings. The poly bushings you can find a link in the suspension tuning forum, and are soley made by LPD auto parts of Los Angeles, CA.

The W208 and W202 share the exact same chassis. The control arms, ball joints, tie rods, steering shock, etc etc are all pretty much identical if you're referring to the "facelift" W202s.

However, there was a difference for springs on the classic W202s and the spring perches, and possibly the shocks. Since yours was a '97, you're trully in limbo, so only way to find out is to crawl under your car, or check the VIN number at the dealer to see what spring pads your car calls for. You can somewhat cross reference from that point forward.

Good luck. I think the H&R Springs and Swaybars will make the car handle exactly how you hoped it would. Just don't go cheap on your tires, as they're probably more important on handling than the springs and shocks imo! ;)

AirPost
05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I also have a pre-update '97 W202 and need to replace my right lca bushing. Would it just be a straight swap (just the bushing) between a W208 and pre-update W202?

I'm looking at other options besides the LPD poly bushings and if the W208 is a perfect fit, it might be advantageous performance and cost wise.

Proven Guilty
05-01-2007, 10:44 PM
the LPD bushings are honestly better, but the W208 bushings are another OEM option instead of replacing with W202 OEMs

AirPost
05-02-2007, 06:02 AM
I thought the poly bushings makes the ride stiff and noisy with longetivity as it's only advantage over the OEM's. Wouldn't the W208 bushings, with it's thicker rubber provide the same longetivity without the noise and stiffness?

RemoLexi
05-02-2007, 06:26 AM
W208 bushing kit is a direct fit then ill order two kits (one for each side) and get those in there end of this month. I dont know how much the normal price is for each kit but mine is $60.

Im getting tires from tirerack also, even though the price is about $600 for the set (cheapest ones) they have a good 4-star rating and unlike some expensive ones have a 2.5-3star rating.

keep in mind the size I have, 245-35-19 and 275-30-19 I will be stepping down to 235's up front to maybe reduce some rubbing if I can.

Thanks for your input Proven! :)

Proven Guilty
05-02-2007, 08:36 AM
you're welcome. if you're looking for tires, check out the dunlop sp sports on tirerack as they were recommended by OCKlasse for my W208 project. they're currently on sale, and ZR-rated with excellent so-cal tread ;)

i wouldn't race around in a downpour with them, but they would compliment the LM5's very nicely.

RemoLexi
05-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Im thinking of getting these General tires since 1.they are the cheapest ($148 each for the rear) and 2.with my driving style ill be replacing the rear tires same time as my oil change which is 10K. the fronts will last me up to 25K.

good idea or no ? I really like the rating the tires got for being quite and all and good traction/threadware. usually like the nice Yokohama tires get some shitty ratings. :confused:

ryhi
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
used is the way to go!! its the ONLY way to go for me with my excessive camber wear and 60+ miles a day. they usually last me 4-5 months if i dont get them flipped. 30-60 bucks a pop for name brand with 90% tread left!!

C280_Spawrt
05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I have the H&R cup kit on my car, and I don't realy think that the sway bars are neccessary. there is very little body roll as it is.

kowalski
01-05-2014, 01:36 AM
did you guys know that the W208 control arm bushings fit our W202's ?? I was told this today im not 100% sure but sounds true.

the W208 bushings are solid filled rubber unlike the w202 ones are partially rubber and partially gapped for more softness.

I will be installing W208 bushings later this month, goal is to get set of new tires, H&R cup kit, H&R front and back sways, Caster kit, those W208 front conrol arm bushings, maybe the rear bushings too, then onto the alighnment rack.

what do you guys think ? or should i go for the polyurathene bushings but where do I find those and $$ ?

are these solid bushings from the convertible w208 or the w208 coupé de ville?
convertible clk w208 had extra weights added for stability and firmer ride, i assume you're talking about bushings for the convertible?

JRE320
01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Im thinking of getting these General tires since 1.they are the cheapest ($148 each for the rear) and 2.with my driving style ill be replacing the rear tires same time as my oil change which is 10K. the fronts will last me up to 25K.

good idea or no ? I really like the rating the tires got for being quite and all and good traction/threadware. usually like the nice Yokohama tires get some shitty ratings. :confused:

I go with that. :-)

Christopher
01-15-2014, 01:36 AM
those dunlop sports are 160$ @90%
i paid 2bills for my pzero rossos
i need bushings now, my driver side tire is doing something weird when i drive it in reverse. its like double jointed or something it (you know how some people could freakishly pop there fingers hands or shoulders out of place?) well kind of like that. i think its due to the bushings not quite sure though