PDA

View Full Version : Gonna do my brakes

rman
05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Ordering up some PBR deluxes from a local shop, should be here on monday.

Gotta change my fronts, they are almost non-existant. Might as well change them all i figure, and get rid of that God damn brake dust.

Anything I need to know about changing brakes on this bad boy? Other than getting sensors from the dealer, and some anti-squeal.
Special tools? Are the calipers loaded or can I just push the pistons back in? Etc etc etc
I hate starting a job and realizing i need some oddball tool halfway thru.

Then getting the oddball tool and realizing it's the wrong one or just won't work.

Proven Guilty
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
the job is really easy, possibly the easiet brakes i've ever done, period.

the only thing you'll want to be aware of is the allen key that holds the rotors on. you can pick up one of those hammer ratchet tools from auto zone that do like a 1/8th turn per hammer whack, because sometimes they get really rusted on there.

other than that, the calipers aren't loaded, and can be reset with a standard C-clamp and a chunk of wood like the U.S. cars you and i are so familar with :D

you'll probably just want some zip ties because the calipers are so heavy that you'd want to have them secured while you're changing the hardware as to not hyper extend the rubber brake lines since they're not designed for it. as far as the brake sensors, the PBR/Axxis Deluxe PLUS pads have slots for the brake sensors, and you can often reuse the originals. if it's worth it to you to have all brand new sensors, by all means, but it could save you $20 and the hassle.

oh yeah, don't forget to buy LOTS of brake parts cleaner, even for the new rotors, since they're machined and have oil on them. otherwise it will defeat the purpose of the anti squeal paste, but i'm sure you already knew that, so sorry if it sounds like i'm talking down on your knowledge haha.

edit: hell, i've gotta do the brakes very soon on the W208. I could come by and help you sometime next week and get mine done in the process since I no longer have a garage. just a thought :D

rman
05-05-2007, 08:34 AM
lol, you crack me up. i'll probably tackle the job on monday, possibly tuesday. i don't have a garage either, but my parents do! i live about 2 miles down the street from them, so that'll be my car's last journey on metal to metal. Sounds straight forward but it'd be a good excuse to see the clk.
And I've noticed the MB is actually really easy to work on, compared to domestic and jap. Everything is well planned out, it's amazing. When doing my stereo I was delightfully surprised as to how easy the interior came apart. Almost like it was designed to be dissasembled.

my only problem is i'm not sure if i need to replace my rotors or not. I hate waiting for the shop to cut rotors, but I'm so strapped for cash this week I don't think I can spring for them...unless I can score a killer deal on OEMs. if that's the case then i'm skipping the rear...

and mustang rears are loaded! at least on my sister's 01 it is.

rman
05-06-2007, 11:36 AM
i ordered them up yesterday - nothing special, i'm just excited about the dustless pads!

PBR Deluxe front pads $35
PBR Deluxe rear pads (single pin) $35
ATE front rotors -$35/ea
ATE rear rotors -$26/ea

Total $209 after tax. Rotors in hand, pads in Monday morning.

I think I got a decent deal. Rotors are OK, but I'm on a TIGHT budget for the next 1-2 weeks.
Still gotta get the anti-squeal and I'm contemplating sensors. I'll probably get them and not worry about anything. My rears are 50% still but I want peace of mind and less dust!

xvvvz
05-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Let us know how it goes. Please snap and post some pics of anything you think could help other newbies :)

ja2k
05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by rman

PBR Deluxe front pads $35
PBR Deluxe rear pads (single pin) $35
ATE front rotors -$35/ea
ATE rear rotors -$26/ea

Total $209 after tax. Rotors in hand, pads in Monday morning.

Rman If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase these products from? I need to change mine out as well. Thank You

rman
05-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by ja2k
Rman If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase these products from? I need to change mine out as well. Thank You

Inter Auto Parts in kearny mesa, right on Convoy Street.

They are old skool, my dad and my GF's dad told me about it. All euro parts, all wholesale prices.

to give you an idea
MANN OE oil filter - less than $8
OEM MB oil filter - $18
and look at the price I paid for my brakes. The front pads alone should have cost $50-$80.

Just know what you want before going in. They are so-so on their knowledge/advice, so it's best if you are familiar with what you want or what brands they are offering.

predrag1
05-07-2007, 09:19 AM
yea Im changing my back rotors and pads, got it all here, should be done today

I paid $40 something for rotors tho( each)

rman
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by predrag1
I paid $40 something for rotors tho( each)

i could have gotten the brembos for 45/ea front, probably 35/ea rear. But since I'm on a budget i went with ATE rotors (which review quite well!).

rman
05-08-2007, 12:45 AM
done. it was great, had to run out to the store for a allen set to use with a breaker bar (5mm holding rotor to hub) and all the rotors were rusted stuck.

other than that it was pretty straight forward. pushed the pistons in with big channel locks in one hand, mighty vac bleeder pump in the other.

picked up new sensors for $1/ea. followed bed procedure and man are they stinky! just one problem ill start a new thread so this once can die.

ja2k
05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks for your help rman I''ll definetely check them out soon.