PDA

View Full Version : Unusual vibration from engine

Green Lantern
05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
sometimes when im on the road my 94 c280's engine gets a slight vibration but when i stop at a red light for instance the vibration grows stronger and when i let go of the brakes the whole car seems to shake and vibrate even more stronger, but when i accelerate past 15-20mph the vibration goes away but when i stop it comes back. anyone with a solution or suggestion to this before i go my mechanic?

jnenad16
05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
so you have a rough idle and low end?

nenad

Green Lantern
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
this vibration is just random and happens at any random time but when i park it, it does vibrate but like i said after i go past 15mph the vibration stops and when i park the car and shut the engine off, and turn it over the vibration stops.

Nelson Lago
05-09-2007, 05:55 PM
OK OK OK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM its your motor mounts the engine souldn't move more then an 1/2 inch to 1 inch. mine moves like 4 inches or more

Green Lantern
05-09-2007, 07:21 PM
hmm..interesting...are the motor mount replacements expensive? and ill bet is a hassle to install too.

Len013091
05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I have a vibration issue as well, but it's been that way all 8 year's I've had the car. I cleaned the MAF however, and that made a difference in the idle smoothness, cutting out most of the vibration.

undercover
05-09-2007, 11:12 PM
changing the engine mounts isnt a big hassel unless you have the right tools, best to send it to a mechanic, i had the same problem but i never took notice of it that much..thats until i went on a road trip with my GF, and i hit a major bump in the road which flug me my GF and the car into the air and thump right back onto the road..
guess what happens! i got a dent from where the engine lifted up from its position and hit the bonnet. the left engine mount was broken.
you can do a test to see if your engine mounts are in need of replacement.
1. open you bonnet
2. put car in to Drive
3. left foot on brake, right foot slowly reving the engine.
take note, look for the engine liffting from its normal position, it shouldnt lift more than 2 - 3 cm into the air
hope alls goes well :)

Green Lantern
05-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by undercover
changing the engine mounts isnt a big hassel unless you have the right tools, best to send it to a mechanic, i had the same problem but i never took notice of it that much..thats until i went on a road trip with my GF, and i hit a major bump in the road which flug me my GF and the car into the air and thump right back onto the road..
guess what happens! i got a dent from where the engine lifted up from its position and hit the bonnet. the left engine mount was broken.
you can do a test to see if your engine mounts are in need of replacement.
1. open you bonnet
2. put car in to Drive
3. left foot on brake, right foot slowly reving the engine.
take note, look for the engine liffting from its normal position, it shouldnt lift more than 2 - 3 cm into the air
hope alls goes well :)
thanks undercover and i tried this and the the engine is not lifting more than 2 - 3 cm's in the air. does this mean its not my motor mounts?

undercover
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
if your engine isnt lifting into the air then it isnt your engine mounts think theres theres an ideling problem? it could be a few problems.
drive shaft bearing
chain belt?
fan belt? (highly unlikely)
thats just my asumptions

Nelson Lago
05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
no it idles fine look at the rpms thre car just shakes at idle and very low speeds witch makes it feel like a bad idle

undercover
05-10-2007, 08:35 PM
i have a feeling it has something to do with your drive shaft? have you taken your car to a mechanic yet?
:)

Nelson Lago
05-11-2007, 04:31 AM
nah i wanted to do it my self

Green Lantern
05-11-2007, 09:55 AM
taking it to a mechanic on saturday..will see what happens then.