PDA

View Full Version : Yes, yet another wiper issue

Chris_c200
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi this is the first thread iv made so bear with me, I have a 1996 c200 and my windscreen wiper comes to its resting position about 8" up on the drivers side. This is very annoying and right in my line of sight. Has anyone ever had this problem or knows how to solve it? I thought it may be that the wiper. The wiper travels in the semi circle it should however it comes back up and sits there... so weird. Any suggestions? iv searched the other threads and cant seem to find anything on the issue.
Many thanks, Chris.

Nelson Lago
05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
try sparying some wd-40 or sea foam at the bottom of the wiper where the spring is.

Abuimad
05-10-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah open the wiper (put it in a 90 degree angle, take off the black cover) and try to oil it, it really did do wonders to my wiper, it used to stick and always was sure it would either burn out or fly off, but after oiling the engine, it works like a charm

Chris_c200
05-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I tried lubing it up with castrol grease however it has not fixed the problem, It seems to be electrical? as in if i put the wiper to where it should sit and then turn the ignition on, the wiper will rise up 8"... Any other solutions? Thanks for the help.

strictlyspeakin
05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I can't imagine how it would have become offset, but you can reset the resting position off the wiper. I'll look for the link, but it's in here somewhere.

EDIT: here it is.

http://members.lycos.nl/mbenz/windshield_wiper.htm

Chris_c200
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I have no idea either aye i bought the car like that. Thanks for the link ill try it and let you know how it goes. The site you put me on looks very helpful thanks!
Kind regards, Chris

Chris_c200
05-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Fixed! the advice given on that link worked like a charm and now i can see through my windscreen properly again... :)

c55m8o
05-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Ah, the venerable MBenzNL!

It's great that that old site is still up.

Steve had discussed the vertically parked wiper (ala DTM) with me years back, but I didn't have much interest @ the time. I must say it does have me thinking. I bet the wifie would hate it though. I bet I'd hate seeing it there in the way tho...
:o

strictlyspeakin
05-17-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree with you there. Straight up would be annoying to look thru. And it kinda looks like the car is giving you the "wiper" :)

I am going to park the wiper on the passenger side though.
Guess that's the 201 still in me.

gina2201
05-26-2007, 12:53 AM
I would suggest lubricating the whole wiper mechanism, worked on mine, same problem, now sits fine.

strictlyspeakin
07-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I finally got around to parking the wiper on the passenger side. The instuctions in the link are perfect in case anyone else wants to do the same.

So as I get all done and a neighbor comes over and asks what I'm working on today. I tell him that I'm moving the resting position to the passenger side.

He tells me the reason they moved to the driver side is for safety. They want the wiper to be immediately clearing the drivers vision when the switch is activated. The 84 w201 is the only left hand drive car that the wiper is parked on the right side. Starting in 85 they moved it to the left side. (A nice guy and he's worked for MB USA for 28 years or so.)

Oh and he also owns a 2000 C43 that I just love. Plus a 190 and a CLK. And did I mention a very nice C43? 1 of an obscenely low number that came over.

I chuckled a bit and told him the the last car I owned was an 84 w201. :)

Nelson Lago
07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
that guy is my hero

strictlyspeakin
07-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Next time he brngs it out I'll steal a few pictures and post em.

Nelson Lago
07-26-2007, 08:43 PM
ok and put like a halo on his head cuz he's a god