PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in a CAI for 23k?

Cru328prod
05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
We’ll I’m still working on a prototype (issues with the adaptor I’m making for the bypass) Sizing it is a BIT*H. But how many people would be interested in a custom cold air intake for the C230k if I deiced on mass production? :D

Cru328prod
05-11-2007, 09:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0039.jpg

I drew it out on CAD thats just a redering. For those wondering wtf is that, its the for the bypass. Should have it cut out by the end of the day, i'll keep posting pics.

duboduce
05-11-2007, 12:00 PM
id be interested in one

Logic
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
i would be interested depending if its for like a 1999...i would like to see the whole unit and possible pictures and maybe a video of the unit in the car. i hear people making these custom CAI tend to be very loud..... :confused:

digital2620
05-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I might be interested depending on the price.

Len013091
05-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Yea, keep it under about $200 and I'd buy one as soon as I could. I assume its gonna route the by-pass and S/C in one pipe?

Cru328prod
05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
lmao under 200? you can barely get a mustang CAI for 200 and thats just like 2 bends of a pipe. lol i duno so far i spent about 100 bucks just getting pieces together, i still might need more. Here some Updated pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0058.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0061.jpg

This is for the bypass, plasma cutted lol i was too lazy to CADD it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0064.jpg

This is how its gonna be piece together

Logic
05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
i assuming your going to get the pipes chromed? also won't you want a filter with some kind of heat shield due to the heat of the engine, or you going to mod the air tube thats in the grill to the filter? or is the filter near that area, or is it going to be in the bumper some where....thx DES sorry for all the questions :confused: P.S. i was looking @ some cold intakes on here and noticed a member was saying to use silicon pipe due to the metals ones retain heat....just a idea...he said they are found on ebay....

SLAMMED_C
05-13-2007, 01:05 PM
greta idea dude.. I had though about mass producing the one i made.. but I would have to make everything by hand. I dont have all the fancy tools!
I think mine cost about $350 for parts alone when I made it.. and i did it completely out of aluminium.
everything I made was time consuming.. especially the custom supercharger inlet flange.
I would love to make mine as a kit you could buy.. but Id have to charge like $600 at least.. spent alot of hours cutting and filing the aluminium parts.

is yours made from exhaust pipe?

good luck with your kit.

Logic
05-13-2007, 01:26 PM
600.00 good god, thats alot for a loud sound and maybe 5 horse power gain..... if you knew a connection and really had this CAI down i bet you could lower the price in result sell many more....i know i would be willing to purchase one for a good price...the blood and sweat is for your hard work , but if you merchandise it right it will pay off

SLAMMED_C
05-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Logic
600.00 good god, thats alot for a loud sound and maybe 5 horse power gain..... if you knew a connection and really had this CAI down i bet you could lower the price in result sell many more....i know i would be willing to purchase one for a good price...the blood and sweat is for your hard work , but if you merchandise it right it will pay off
Yeh I know.. its all the time and effort.. just jacks up the price!.. Im sure if I took it to a machinist to have done.. it would save time and money in the long run, but Id figure having it all machined from aluminium by a CAD driven machine, it would cost a bunch?
I guess osmehting to look into.. but then my car would be out of commission while I take it apart again to have everything plotted out on the program.
have to get myself another beater car so I can do things like this!
I think the sound alone is worth the money though!!

Cru328prod
05-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Well I thought i should update you guys on some pics, I have to clean up all the welds, and buy a new 90degree elbow so it drops down to the bottom grill. I would charge 600 bucks too, i started since 12 this morning ended at 5 and called it quits because it was so hot out side (god dam florida heat)......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0068.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0069.jpg

Cru328prod
05-13-2007, 02:55 PM
By the way you guys, it sounds fu*king sick, i remember the whole 2 filter thing, that sounded horrible, this one sounds amazing, after im done, sound clips for sure. and yes its made outta exhaust piping, because i didn't have a aluminum welder

SLAMMED_C
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
gotta give you props man.. turned out better then I was imaging. yeh, just clean up the welds and your good to go. nice work man.

never thought of making it out of exhaust pipe.. I did it out of aluminium only cause it looks cooler and is lighter.. had someone weld it up for me.. I dont have a tig!

Cru328prod
05-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
gotta give you props man.. turned out better then I was imaging. yeh, just clean up the welds and your good to go. nice work man.

never thought of making it out of exhaust pipe.. I did it out of aluminium only cause it looks cooler and is lighter.. had someone weld it up for me.. I dont have a tig!

Thanks alot, i should have it done pretty soon i'll keep you guys updated, its steal so im just thinking about getting it powder coated, but only if i get it back by friday. but yet again i wanna wrap it, so it stays cool

Thermo Tech (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_84868_-1)

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/800/893/893-14500.jpg

Logic
05-14-2007, 09:22 AM
looking good there....i have a question since the side pipe has a 90 degree angle , will that restrick the air from going into it freely? would it be better to angle it so that it can enter into it better? as far as price well 600 is a little steep , but in the long run if you decide to make them or have them made you'll see that making a whole bunch at the same time will be easier and more cost efficent and maybe a lower price will draw people in .....as far as the elbow goes, cant you just have the pipe bent to that angel or is that to server of a bend?

Cru328prod
05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Heres some pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0083.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/icangivit2uma/IMG_0078.jpg

Well i wanted to updated you guys on this and let me tell you I FU*KING GAINEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD 2-3 PSI, To answers logics question, because of the bypass its very hard to get any kind of bends to fit. But yet again its a 3" pipe all around expect for the bypass pipe, can't be that restrictive, i seen a slk 230 with some kinda kit but it was more of a "WAI" f i find it i'll post it

Proven Guilty
05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
a little sloppy, but that's what a prototype is all about :D

with your design, it would be much simipler to modify the stock airbox to pull cold air from the lower bumper with an intake tube feeding the filter from the bottom, but if you clean this design up, it would be cool to have just for looks alone.

Cru328prod
05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
a little sloppy, but that's what a prototype is all about :D

with your design, it would be much simipler to modify the stock airbox to pull cold air from the lower bumper with an intake tube feeding the filter from the bottom, but if you clean this design up, it would be cool to have just for looks alone.

How so? Yes its getting cleaned up i thought i outta show u guys some pics of what i done i just don't have time for all of this. Hey when i did the MAF relocation the other tube fittted very loose and it keep popping open after the intercooler at rev's. Im thinking about buying another MAF housing and just mod it in there. One thing i noticed was oil inside the piping? where is that coming from?

digital2620
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
That looks great.

Still interested.
Still worried about the price ...$600 is too rich for me.

SLAMMED_C
05-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by digital2620
That looks great.

Still interested.
Still worried about the price ...$600 is too rich for me.

i dont think he is gonna charge $600 for his kit!!.. I was tlakin bout the kit I made for my car. if I were to prodcue more copies of it Id have to charger $600 for it, cause the cost of parts alone was about $350.. then my excessive time and labour making it!!

Cru328prod
05-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
i dont think he is gonna charge $600 for his kit!!.. I was tlakin bout the kit I made for my car. if I were to prodcue more copies of it Id have to charger $600 for it, cause the cost of parts alone was about $350.. then my excessive time and labour making it!!

I wanna c yours:D

Cru328prod
05-15-2007, 06:33 AM
heres that 1 pic i found

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2469000-2469999/2469504_20_full.jpg

Logic
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
cant see much of the intake.....328 as far as the grey puddy stuff on the other intake, whats that for....is it becasue the welds are air tight? looking forward to hear the intake, and as much as 2 to 3 psi ? how did you test that?

Cru328prod
05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
cant see much of the intake.....328 as far as the grey puddy stuff on the other intake, whats that for....is it becasue the welds are air tight? looking forward to hear the intake, and as much as 2 to 3 psi ? how did you test that?

I have a boost gauge in my car, but it only shows any kind of incress at a high RPM. I have posted vid's soo peep them out lol. The grey puddy stuff is JB weld. I suck very bad at welding, (1st time really) so there was a few pin holes. So i used JB weld before i burn another hole. JB weld can take the heat, and it can also be sanded and painted :). Im really just waiting for all this rain to go away so i can really rip on it and see what it can really do.

Logic
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
where are these video's at?

Cru328prod
05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
where are these video's at?

Vids (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=126186)

Logic
05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
if you decide to mass produce you can find a welder or machinist to make those flanges and put those pipes together. when you put that flange on did you have to replace a gaskit?... the other things are already to go from the package. the only thing that concerns me is those rainy days:confused: i wonder if something can be done about water going into it....after the fact how much mula were you in after everything was bought?:bandit:

Cru328prod
05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
if you decide to mass produce you can find a welder or machinist to make those flanges and put those pipes together. when you put that flange on did you have to replace a gaskit?... the other things are already to go from the package. the only thing that concerns me is those rainy days:confused: i wonder if something can be done about water going into it....after the fact how much mula were you in after everything was bought?:bandit:

The problem is finding one, i live in bum fu*k florida. Theres really no need to worry about the rain, its raining a good few inches here as we speak, the only thing you have to worry about is making it submerger. which is a problem for me because of all these dips in the road. I try to go threw it as fast as possible while giving it no gas and apply some brakes before i can't stop lol.

SLAMMED_C
05-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
I wanna c yours:D

Here is my intake, found some pics of my SC inlet I made. and the bypass valve flange.
It turned out really nice, but it was expensive and very time consuming to make it all when your car is your daily driver!
Enjoy!...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_500_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_502_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_213_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_277_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_278_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_212_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_225.jpg

Logic
05-16-2007, 08:30 PM
i noticed you have the 2 filter intake.... does that make for a loud intake ??? i have heard thing about that....i like the way cru did his ...its proubly not as loud and seems to work well also do these CAI turn on any check engine lights ???????

digital2620
05-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I saw the video of the CAI in action. SOunds great.

SLAMMED_C
05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
i noticed you have the 2 filter intake.... does that make for a loud intake ??? i have heard thing about that....i like the way cru did his ...its proubly not as loud and seems to work well also do these CAI turn on any check engine lights ???????
I would say that my version of the intake is louder ince the boost pressure is vented to atmosphere, where as cru328's intake vents the boost pressrue back into the intake track like the stock setup does.
both are going to function well, but id say my version is louder.
no check engine lights with my intake setup, the only think you have to be careful of is overoiling the air filter after you clean it and oil it, the filter comes oiled when you buy it and you dont have to worry about the MAS, but if you clean it and reoil it, dont over oil it! you will have MAS troubles.

Pagz
05-16-2007, 10:26 PM
When the bypass vents into the intake,you are effectively venting hot charged air back into the SC...which was the main reason i never vented mine back...it does look cleaner to vent it back in and could be done beautifly with a few alloy mandrel bends...

The seperate bypass filter could also look very clean if you shifted the bypass down low out of sight...

Slammed's setup would be alittle louder given the bypass emits noise from the SC when its open or relieving pressure...but i wouldnt imagine it to be much louder as most of the noise will be coming out of the intake on both setups...

Cru328prod
05-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by 23K
When the bypass vents into the intake,you are effectively venting hot charged air back into the SC...which was the main reason i never vented mine back...it does look cleaner to vent it back in and could be done beautifly with a few alloy mandrel bends...

The seperate bypass filter could also look very clean if you shifted the bypass down low out of sight...

Slammed's setup would be alittle louder given the bypass emits noise from the SC when its open or relieving pressure...but i wouldnt imagine it to be much louder as most of the noise will be coming out of the intake on both setups...

My 1st setup was just like Slammed C's, but it sounded horrible to me. I noticed it to be less noisey compaired to what i had like slammed c's. Theres still alotta work i have to do, i wanna carry the whole intake back like how slammed c's is. After that i wanna get it dyno'd (really just for kicks) but also for the gain in boost.

Pagz
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
My 1st setup was just like Slammed C's, but it sounded horrible to me. I noticed it to be less noisey compaired to what i had like slammed c's. Theres still alotta work i have to do, i wanna carry the whole intake back like how slammed c's is. After that i wanna get it dyno'd (really just for kicks) but also for the gain in boost.

Fair comment,If its alot quieter and sounds better than that is definately the way to go!,goodluck witht the rest of the project man!

Paul

Logic
05-18-2007, 11:29 AM
i like the idea of the quiet one, not only is it quieter but sounds nice too...i wanna try a set up but due to my busy life i hope i can find one that is retailed for my car for a good price:cool:

Cru328prod
05-18-2007, 05:36 PM
errrrrr this intake is killlllllling me in gassssssssssss lmfao because i just love the blow off sound. it sounds like a friggin blow off value thats really loud. soo i just press the gas and let go of it quick lol and it gooooooos pissssssssssssssh

Logic
05-19-2007, 12:20 PM
ok cru stop teasing LOL i m hoping some one produces these so i can at least try it out...if not i might have to make the time to make my own grrrrr..LOL

Logic
05-19-2007, 02:20 PM
one other question....when you attached the first blue copuler i noticed it is reducing to the smaller factory plastic tube..did it bud up to it or did you insert a metal piece inside that? becasue it looks like the hose clamp is on plastic on plastic ?

Cru328prod
05-21-2007, 04:29 AM
thats just there for now because i didn't feel like going to autozone, i just stopped messing with it because i got rear ended, and my neck is just killing me

Logic
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
so your saying its isnt really hooked up ? i figured you would have to stick and solid peice of pipe to make it squeeze together with out collasping the plastic, i mean a insert to the clamps so it attachs the pipes

Cru328prod
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
so your saying its isnt really hooked up ? i figured you would have to stick and solid peice of pipe to make it squeeze together with out collasping the plastic, i mean a insert to the clamps so it attachs the pipes

No its hooked up, and its all sealed pretty tight. i wish i could relocated that reservoir. soo much space and movement could be done.

Logic
05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
so the blue piece is a hard plastic? that connects to the factory tube?

Cru328prod
05-23-2007, 06:59 AM
so the blue piece is a hard plastic? that connects to the factory tube?

nope i slid a metal ring underneath

Logic
05-23-2007, 07:07 AM
ok LOL i just asked if you used a pipe and you said no, it hooked up really tight:confused: ok makes sence now

Cru328prod
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
ok LOL i just asked if you used a pipe and you said no, it hooked up really tight:confused: ok makes sence now

LMFAO sorrry man, my mind is just too worried about my car...trying to get it fixed.

Logic
05-24-2007, 04:38 PM
i noticed the foam ring around one of your tubes slam? is that one of the pieces that prevents submerge damage ? and if so where can they be found and how much? one other thing i notice there is a small tube coming from the manifold to the air box . how did you mod that or how did you take car of that tube? did you put a small air cleaner on that..i cant see any pictures showing that. its the the small black thing attached to the manifold then from there goes to the bottom area of the air box. one last thing was the front light taken out to install the air filter?

Cru328prod
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
i noticed the foam ring around one of your tubes slam? is that one of the pieces that prevents submerge damage ? and if so where can they be found and how much? one other thing i notice there is a small tube coming from the manifold to the air box . how did you mod that or how did you take car of that tube? did you put a small air cleaner on that..i cant see any pictures showing that. its the the small black thing attached to the manifold then from there goes to the bottom area of the air box. one last thing was the front light taken out to install the air filter?

Lmao, i swear the whole thing is very easy make....autozone sells everything i used. all u need is some paper to just trace the bypass valve. and cut it outta steel or somthing. i don't plan on submergin my car anytime soon. but theres a AEM water bypass thats like 40 bucks. the small tube, i just threw on a air breather. and as of putting the filter in......just jack the car up and take out the 2 screws on the bottom, pry open the plastic and then just open it and slid it in. now im just thinking about rebuilding the bypass valve, and just rig up a big T-Body to open and close it.

Logic
05-25-2007, 04:56 PM
yea looks pretty simple...although i have a friend who owns a tuner like shop and said he would do it and make the tubing out of stainless steel to prevent rusting i think he said he would do it for about 350.00 bucks, i was also told i can have the pipe ceramic coated to help resist heat ..he had his cobra intake pipe coated for about forty dollars... i was asking all the questions so i can at least tell him how some were done thx again one last thing was there a gasket on the by pass valve?? where you attached that modded piece? when you say you added a small air breather did you leave it in the front ? or did you add it to the manifold area?

Cru328prod
05-26-2007, 08:49 AM
yea looks pretty simple...although i have a friend who owns a tuner like shop and said he would do it and make the tubing out of stainless steel to prevent rusting i think he said he would do it for about 350.00 bucks, i was also told i can have the pipe ceramic coated to help resist heat ..he had his cobra intake pipe coated for about forty dollars... i was asking all the questions so i can at least tell him how some were done thx again one last thing was there a gasket on the by pass valve?? where you attached that modded piece? when you say you added a small air breather did you leave it in the front ? or did you add it to the manifold area?

i lost ya, i was talking about that 1 rubber hose thing that connects to the air box, i just pushed it in and tightend it

Logic
05-26-2007, 01:47 PM
ok i m confussed here...lets start over...there is a small air hose from the manifold to the air box did you connect the breather to the end where the original was in the air box?and if you did where did you put it near the front where it was or? small hose that connected to the bottom of air box..send pictures LOL

Cru328prod
05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
u gotta wait till my car comes back from the body shop

Logic
05-27-2007, 04:24 PM
dude i have my can of krylon...send it to me:) hehehehe ok ill wait till i see those

Logic
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
slam i liked the fact your pipe goes all the way back..the piece you made that went to the back had a square piece on it ..is that because it mounted to the engine?...and for the pipe pieces were they pieces already like that when you bought them? the other air cleaner you have does that really make for a loud sound?

SLAMMED_C
06-01-2007, 06:37 PM
slam i liked the fact your pipe goes all the way back..the piece you made that went to the back had a square piece on it ..is that because it mounted to the engine?...and for the pipe pieces were they pieces already like that when you bought them? the other air cleaner you have does that really make for a loud sound?

the intake tube with that custom rectangular flange goes to the supercharger. you need to get the air into the supercharger to compress it right?! thats how it gets there. its a very difficult piece to make.. you not only have to get the flange right.. but you also need to get the dimensions right so it fits on the supercharger and is able to come up to the top side of the engine to go back down to the air filter.

which pipe pieces do you mean?.. the straight pipe, or the curved pipe? they are all 3" aluminium intake pipe, available in straight pieces, 45 degree bends and 90 degree bends. they are from Vibrant.

and the filter on the bypass valve is simply there to filter air incase it is drawn into the intake track.. it is loud either way you mount it.. like i did with a seprate filter or like CRU328 did by having it go back into the intake tube. I still think it may be a little bit louder my way.

Logic
06-03-2007, 03:44 PM
ok thanks for the info...i wish some one would make some here without charging a arm and a leg for us people who really dont have much time due to kids you know LOL slam you should just make some for us and charge for parts and shipping and ill put a sticker of your name on my car hehehehe

SLAMMED_C
06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
ok thanks for the info...i wish some one would make some here without charging a arm and a leg for us people who really dont have much time due to kids you know LOL slam you should just make some for us and charge for parts and shipping and ill put a sticker of your name on my car hehehehe
lol.. my name on your car!!
well trust me, I have thought about making a few of the intakes and selling them.. its just trying to find the time to do it. never a free moment.

Logic
06-05-2007, 01:02 PM
fianlly got a hold of my friend of rx motorsports and he is going to do my cold air intake for about 300 installed...it will look like cru's but he said he will make the filter a little higher to avoid water and make some kind of angle under there to capture the air into it...ill post pictures...it wont be for another 2 weeks since ill be on vacation:cool:

Logic
06-05-2007, 01:37 PM
ok this is scary....i was on another site looking up cold intake and this is what it says:confused: RE: Cold Air systems?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercedes already designs a "Cold Air Intake" into the OEM design...

Obviously you do not understand how a cold air intake works and you are unable to identify where the air is drawn in to the airbox. Take a closer look and you will see your car came with one from the factory.

Another note, air intakes due to emissions have to be designed to afford little to no restriction in order to comply with US emissions...especially California and the CAFE states. I have done more testing on air intake systems than I care to admit and the bottom line is that there is NO restriction in these cars airboxes. Typical restriction in the OEM air filter is in the order of 1-3" water column... If you understand how little this is you would look to other ways to improve power.

After market filters namely K&N sacrifice filtration, eliminate badly needed filter surface area in favor of larger holes...YES HOLES in the filter to allow more flow with a smaller filter. K&N typically offers a total surface area of 1 foot squared where the OEM air filters have more than 9-10 feet squared! The more area the less the restriction and the greater the or rather the smaller the particles the filters can capture WITHOUT restriction! Greater surface area also offers the ability to go longer between changes without harming the flow characteristics.

OEM air filters on the MB are rated at 5-10 microns, K&N is rated at 90 microns. Particles as large as 15-20 microns WILL damage your motor!

Other issues with the aftermarket filters is the MAF flow sensor. These sensors rely on fine filtering capability and when an oiled air filter is placed in front of them the oil migrates, insulates the microscopic heating element and causes a melt down. MAF sensor failures are so common that engineering study's have been done just to show how quickly they cause the MAF sensors to fail often in less than 100 miles! The ones that don't fail right away suffer reduced performance and lower engine output as a result of incorrect air fuel ratios as well as incorrect fueling limits in the case of diesel engines.

Bottom line, aftermarket air filter systems are a joke and risk very expensive damage to your car not to mention increased repair costs as a result of damage to emissions sensing components in the induction system.

DB

Cru328prod
06-06-2007, 04:10 AM
ok this is scary....i was on another site looking up cold intake and this is what it says:confused: RE: Cold Air systems?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercedes already designs a "Cold Air Intake" into the OEM design...

Obviously you do not understand how a cold air intake works and you are unable to identify where the air is drawn in to the airbox. Take a closer look and you will see your car came with one from the factory.

Another note, air intakes due to emissions have to be designed to afford little to no restriction in order to comply with US emissions...especially California and the CAFE states. I have done more testing on air intake systems than I care to admit and the bottom line is that there is NO restriction in these cars airboxes. Typical restriction in the OEM air filter is in the order of 1-3" water column... If you understand how little this is you would look to other ways to improve power.

After market filters namely K&N sacrifice filtration, eliminate badly needed filter surface area in favor of larger holes...YES HOLES in the filter to allow more flow with a smaller filter. K&N typically offers a total surface area of 1 foot squared where the OEM air filters have more than 9-10 feet squared! The more area the less the restriction and the greater the or rather the smaller the particles the filters can capture WITHOUT restriction! Greater surface area also offers the ability to go longer between changes without harming the flow characteristics.

OEM air filters on the MB are rated at 5-10 microns, K&N is rated at 90 microns. Particles as large as 15-20 microns WILL damage your motor!

Other issues with the aftermarket filters is the MAF flow sensor. These sensors rely on fine filtering capability and when an oiled air filter is placed in front of them the oil migrates, insulates the microscopic heating element and causes a melt down. MAF sensor failures are so common that engineering study's have been done just to show how quickly they cause the MAF sensors to fail often in less than 100 miles! The ones that don't fail right away suffer reduced performance and lower engine output as a result of incorrect air fuel ratios as well as incorrect fueling limits in the case of diesel engines.

Bottom line, aftermarket air filter systems are a joke and risk very expensive damage to your car not to mention increased repair costs as a result of damage to emissions sensing components in the induction system.

DB

very od i had gains with my cold air intake

Len013091
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Um, yea, that guy must be misled. The stock system may not be restrictive compared to other manufacturer's stock systems, but there's always room for improvement. Now, and the newer models, (E350 for example), there is a true cold air system, with ltwo large airducts, similar to a C43. In the C230 Kompressor and NA models, the pipe diameter is small enough to cause restriction. Another source of restriction on the C230 Kompressor is that snorkle thing on the airbox, thats a really small pipe. As for the K&N filters, I've had one for about 10k miles now and have had no problems. A larger source of oil on the MAF could possibly come from the crankcase breather dumping oil vapors behind the air filter.

Anyway, I'd like to see some pictures of the finished product if it's ready yet. :)

Logic
06-06-2007, 10:37 AM
i noticed a small like carrot shaped piece on the tube going into the supercharger.....from the air box the tube curves and at the end there a small thin carrot or small tube shaped air pocket right before it turns down...what is that for????? the guy who is making this intake wanted to know if that had a signifigant to it because like slamms he has this square piece i still have no idea why its square...when i looked at mine i followed that tube to from what i see is a round where it attachs... he was going to make possible a tube from there and go down...but he said going from the end of the factory tube it proubly see no difference....what do you think?

C280_Spawrt
06-06-2007, 12:42 PM
These sensors rely on fine filtering capability and when an oiled air filter is placed in front of them the oil migrates, insulates the microscopic heating element and causes a melt down. MAF sensor failures are so common that engineering study's have been done just to show how quickly they cause the MAF sensors to fail often in less than 100 miles! The ones that don't fail right away suffer reduced performance and lower engine output as a result of incorrect air fuel ratios as well as incorrect fueling limits in the case of diesel engines.

I have definitely heard of this before. That's why I would never put in a K&N filter in my MB (other cars, yes)

Logic
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
well based on the k&n filters i have had one for about a year and no issues, even tho i just replaced my MAF sensor recently but its not due to the filter since mine just turned 100k which i heard is common . i m having a CAI done but most of those cone filter are not oiled (i think) and since there not oiled i dont think there will be a problem from what i have read on these forums..... since im on the subject of CAI everyone who has had on done to there kompressor any issues, and how long have you had it on your car. i m looking for some one with one whos had it for ever on there car and no issues DES

Logic
06-12-2007, 08:52 PM
was looking for some one who has experienced the aftermarket or custom CAI and has had it for awhile any takers....? mine will be done when i get back from vacation and just want to educate my mind a little thx DES

Logic
06-16-2007, 10:53 PM
i noticed a small like carrot shaped piece on the tube going into the supercharger.....from the air box the tube curves and at the end there a small thin carrot or small tube shaped air pocket right before it turns down...what is that for????? the guy who is making this intake wanted to know if that had a signifigant to it because like slamms he has this square piece i still have no idea why its square...when i looked at mine i followed that tube to from what i see is a round where it attachs... he was going to make possible a tube from there and go down...but he said going from the end of the factory tube it proubly see no difference....what do you think?

i asked this a while a go and i m back from vacation...mine will be done tuesday and i m hoping someone can answer this question

Cru328prod
06-17-2007, 03:13 PM

i asked this a while a go and i m back from vacation...mine will be done tuesday and i m hoping someone can answer this question

Just push in a small air breather in there! i did i have no idea whats that for, but it did connect into the airbox. i thought i was a PCV,

Logic
06-18-2007, 11:30 AM
i think you are thinking something else cru the part in question is still on your car....the piece that you used the reducer to the factory tube that curves and then goes down into the super charger...where it curves down there is a small tube shape pocket right where it starts to turn ( the 2 and 1/2 inch tube)...whats the small pocket for and it faces or points toward the engine fire wall???? the guy is wondering what it might be for since he might replace that part....

Logic
06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
here is my CAI done by my friend CHRIS @ RX MOTORSPORTShttp://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/Deslogic/my202intake003.jpg http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/Deslogic/my202intake001.jpg http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/Deslogic/my202intake002.jpg http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/Deslogic/my202intake004.jpg
this was done today amd money well spent, not only does it sound good but I have better reponse too....

Cru328prod
06-28-2007, 03:40 AM
LMAO LOOKS HELLAH ALOT BETTER THEN MINES......SHIT I'LL BUY ONE OFF HIM IF HE MAKES ANOTHER ONE. Hows the clearence from there to the coolent hoses?

Cru328prod
06-28-2007, 03:47 AM
LMAO LOOKS HELLAH ALOT BETTER THEN MINES......SHIT I'LL BUY ONE OFF HIM IF HE MAKES ANOTHER ONE. Hows the clearence from there to the coolent hoses? or does the BOV sit on there?

Logic
06-28-2007, 04:28 PM
well as far as clearence the hoses under neath are'nt that close although the by pass touch's the hood since there is a mark on there but isnt dented it ...the fabric underneath...as far as making another one i think he would although it cost me 300.00 he did owe me a favor too....he would need my car to make another:confused: i think he might charge more since it took him a while to make the welds good...ill ask him and see what he says.......all the pipe was stainless , he used stainless steel on the flange too, k&n filter , aem bypass, the silicone sleave on the bottom where it goes to the bumper is there to keep the pipe from rattling....the parts alone cost about 240 dollars...ill see what he will charge....do you want him to make the pipes or do you want him to make another with filter etc etc?

Cru328prod
06-28-2007, 05:22 PM
lmao i duno honestly that nitrous kit took a ripped a good hole in my pocket, plus im still waiting on the stupied insurence to give me 800 bucks. If anything i was just want the pipes, the bypass and everything eles i could cut. lemme know a price?

Logic
06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
did you want him to weld the flange on the side? so all you have to do is put it together ? he used a 2.5 to 3 inch elbow ( Blue silicon), then the pipe with flange, then there is one more pipe that goes down into the bumper held together by the aem by pass then... if i recall he used 2 45 degree elbows on the pipe which you see the welds ....be a little more informative on exactly what you want then i can ask him

Cru328prod
06-29-2007, 03:54 AM
well i just need everything welded lol. i suck at welding thats y mines look the way it does. y would it cost more? he already knows how to do it. it should be a breeze 2nd time running

Logic
06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
well for him to make another one he would need my car , ill call him and see what he would charge for him to make those two pipes with flange and ill get back at ya...since he made one doesn't mean he made a jig for others soooooo ill get back at ya...if this gets a little more crazy ill just get his number and you can call him:cool: just in case it takes a while here is his email address , his name is chris sales@rx-motorsports.com

Logic
07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
i have had some people requesting possibly a CAI like mine to be made, so instead of me typing the whole thing again all the info can be found under members forum under MY 1999 C230 K SPORT;)

Logic
08-08-2007, 07:18 AM
hey cru did you ever get that intake ordered, i know you wanna be like me LOL j/k

Cru328prod
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
AT LEAST I MADE MINES........WITH ABSOLUTLY NO WELDING EXPERENCE LMAO......when are you coming back.....I really want you to design a sick ass box for my 10" alpine type x box. im going for stealth as much as possible..........i have space where the spare tire is also.....

I have to grab up some money, i told chris i'll let him know asap, he said he's going to need your car to make a jig, i guess so he can make a bunch

Logic
08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
AS FAR AS STEALTH GOES AS MINE IS IN THE LEFT SIDE PANEL...ITS MORE THEN ENOUGH SUB FOR ME AND DOESN'T WEIGH TOO MUCH SINCE ITS HALF FIBERGLASS. THE REASON FOR CARPET IS I THROW STUFF BACK THERE AND PROUBLY GET PITS ON IT FROM THINGS HITTING IT SO I WENT WITH CARPET. THE SUB IS ALSO OUT OF PHASE AND SOUND SO MUCH BETTER. AS FOR NEEDING MY CAR ILL NEED 100 CASH FOR MY TIME lol J/K

Logic
09-16-2007, 01:17 AM
opps a bumped by mistake