PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof adjustment

cowiepeters
05-27-2007, 02:43 AM
The sunroof on my daughter's 1994 C180 (What else do you buy for your daughter to learn in that's safe and has a manual gearbox?) doesn't close properly.

It closes to the point where the panel is flush with the opening but the back edge is about 12mm (1/2") lower than where it should be. When you give the button a nudge as if to tilt the panel it lifts into place but it's hard to give it the right sized nudge so it doesn't lift too high.

When the switch is pushed up to tilt the roof it only lifts about 40mm (1 1/2")... not enough to see daylight.

Manual operation using the tool in the overhead light fitting (like it says in the manual) is stiff but it will open right up and using the switch to close it works fine.

It seems like the switches that locate the "closed" position need to be adjusted.

I have tried "re-setting" the roof by holding the switch for 10 seconds in various positions but that doesn't alter anything

It was easy in the 560SEL I owned at one stage, the motor and adjustment were in the boot, but I can't find any reference to adjusting the newer style sunroofs where the motor is in the roof itself.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Peter Cowie
Sydney Australia

97 SL500
02 ML500

xvvvz
05-27-2007, 04:20 PM
FWIW, the Haynes manual advises you to go to the dealer due to the need for special tools and a tricky procedure.

Do you have a glass sunroof or a metal one? Are you good with mechanical adjustments/procedures and willing to get into a project that might take quite a while to complete?

cowiepeters
05-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I am reasonably competent mechanically, no qualifications but I have done the heads, timing chain, rear axle etc. etc. on a 6.3 a few years ago.

If it can be done I would like to give it a go.

Peter

cowiepeters
05-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention... just the metal roof, not the glass one.

Peter

xvvvz
05-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Check your email messages.

NEA-4311
05-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Hey post it here as well! Im also interested! Mine sits around 2mm lower when I close it but even if that is too small, it might get worse by time. BTW I have a HAYNES manual myself (the one with the green 202 on the cover) so if your info comes from the book dont bother posting it for me. Piece.