PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket HU w/ stock speakers?

yusuke280
06-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a quick question with someone who has a aftermarket HU but stock speaker set up.

I was wondering, if you found the sound quality significantly better? or pretty much the same.

On my Golf, all I did was upgraded the HU and the difference was incredible. (I also have an aftermarket amp and sub) but that probably won't make a difference.

Please let me know,
Cheers!

PS: It's a Alpine HU.

RemoLexi
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
much better. but then I swapped my speakers thats all which is clear and all but volume can be much louder and it will stay clear.

now just put in a Memphis woofer - man those things are cleaan!!

ryhi
06-04-2007, 12:38 AM
i find it better only if you're running a sub.

trymonlam
06-06-2007, 10:05 AM
i do think there's quite a difference if u do put in a decent HU. after my dvd HU was stolen(damn those bastards), i put in a Mcintosh mx 406. the result was very pleasant. but then, i listen to mostly jazz. so i don't need much of a pounding bass. so that part i can't vouch for.

Cucuy
08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
We upgraded the HU soon after we got the car since it was acting on us. I can definently say that I noticed improvement. Now that this car is my main commuter car (before it was my significant other car to go to college) I am getting the urge to update the speakers. :D

Logic
08-17-2007, 08:55 AM
i m running deck power (alpine 9887) to factory speakers and it sounds great although i m running a amp to a 12 inch preimer flat driver in the rear quater panel. i use the crossovers in the head unit to cross them over to the right frequency. factory speakers are very efficent so it doesn't take alot to make them sound good, but over powering them will make you want to replace them. if you have the standard set up like tweets in dash . speakers in the front and rear doors and the 2 so called subs in the rear deck deck power in my case is fine. although in time i will replace them and add a four channel amp. but since it sounds great i wont be doing that any time soon.

sensoryx
08-17-2007, 02:04 PM
no way.
Adding a deck is definitely better than the stock HU. But adding an AMP and SUBS, thats a whole new level. If you ever get subs, compare the two by plugging and unplugging them. Its two different worlds altogether. I cant listen to my music no mroe unless my cars pounding.
Before I thought my buddies w203 stock bass was wicked, now there is no comparison.

benzonline
08-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Bass such as in the W203 stock is plenty for me lol. I like a full rich sound but not overwhelming.

benzo23
08-20-2007, 09:44 AM
yea i have found that if i just run the aftermarket HU with the stock speakers, that it sounds alright..but if i run a sub or in my case 2...the sq for the speakers is much greater..maybe because the sub over shaddows how shitty our stock speakers really are?..i dont know but that is what i have found..go with a sub!

jabu
08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
i went to my local car audio installer today and they said if i was to put new speakers in my C230K, i would have to run all new wire from the headunit to the speakers. so he priced me out a focal audio system(from components, rear door coaxle speakers. rear deck speakers unplugged and not used) powered by a audison srx4 4 channel amp with a pioneer dehp880prs head unit and 2 10 inch clarion subs and a clarion amp to the tune of $3477 with installation.... now my question is, do i really need new speaker wire, and is there someplace that i can get some speaker brackets online so that i can do this install myself for cheeper?

Markland556
08-22-2007, 07:03 PM
you defiantly DONT need new speaker wire, the Mercedes wire is more than enough for any speakers your going to run. They are just trying to sell you all their crap..
Believe me, they want your money. I would ditch the rear door speakers and if you have OEM non Bose speakers its very easy to fit 5.25"s in the front brackets and 6.5" in the rear deck brackets. Just need to wire in the crossovers which can be done where the factory wire for the tweeter and the mid-bass splices together at a connector, its an orange connector and its with a bunch of others behind the little plastic kick panel, just pull apart the wiring channel thing and you will see it. Car stereo isnt that hard with the amount of info you have available on the internet.

jabu
08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah that's what i was thinking. AWESOME i get to save ALOT of money :) thanks alot. now... where can i ask a question about my digital clock screwing up???

benzonline
08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
$3477 for all that garbage? You'll get lots of boom and shrilling treble...beleive me I heard and had it before. Its only good for showing off.

You have a Kompressor classic I noticed...are you in Canada or Europe?

And oh ya....just add a sub as mentioned above and you'll be good to go.

Logic
08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
since i m a mobile electronics installer i can tell you that the wire in your car is good enough for the amp your running. although if you was to get crazy and buy a amp say about 75 watts RMS (4 channel) then i would recommend it . think of your wire like a hose the bigger it is the better thansfer it will get especially the power. as replacing the speakers i would also suggest putting speakers in the rear deck and not the rear doors if your only doing 4.... as for the garbage is all show i disagree... i like great sound and i m willing to pay the price for it...but since i m a installer i get alot at cost or below and since i install my self i save alot. and sure you can turn it up and show off but mostly the systems i do for my self are slealth and not showie..... dont need some one stealing your stuff. also make sure the shop installing gives you a warrenty and get it in writting...we offer lifetime on installs where i work.

jabu
08-23-2007, 05:35 PM
if was to run the new speakers through a four channel amp, i'd have to rewire them anyways. so went to a friend of mine that works at an electronics store and he also called bullshit on the other shop about having to run new wires. anyways thanks ALOT for all your help guys :) i think i'm going to go with an alpine set up but i did find the FOCAL speakers i was interested in on ebay for pennies compared to the price they were charging at the shop so i may go with those 6.5 components in the front doors and rear deck :) thanks again guys.

benzonline- i'm from alberta :)

benzo23
08-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Alpine?...alpine makes great head units...but not to much speakers...for components i'd go with either JL or mb quart...and for subs either go with JL, Memphis, Eclipse...and that is BS that they said you needed now speaker wire...but dont skimp on the wiring for the sub and sub amp because you can tell a difference between the walmart kit and a quality kit...

jabu
08-23-2007, 05:44 PM
i already have a couple of 10 inch clarion subs that will fill in the low end quite well and a clarion amp to sufficiently power them so i'm good in that department. thanks for the input and advice :)