PDA

View Full Version : Power window repair?

YYZ
06-12-2007, 04:00 AM
I took my car in for detailing yesterday as it had gotten really filthy and it was really bugging me.

(yes, I know that I would normally do it myself but I have a severely broken right arm and wrist right now which makes it difficult to do anything, let alone muck about inside the car).

Anyway, now my driver's side power window will not work - specifically, it won't go down.

If one clicks the switch to send it down, there is nothing. No movement, no noise, no 'click' at the window.

If one clicks the switch to go up, there is a click at the window and very slight movement up.

I did manage to pull the console and switch panel with my left hand and opened up the switches. Even tried to jump the contacts manually inside the 'down' portion of the switch, but again, nothing happened.

While I suspect that they probably drowned the switch in cleaner and shorted something out - what else should I be checking for and how (before I take it to my mechanic?)

Thanks in advance

benzonline
06-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Eitheir some soap or chemical got into a contact somewhere and needs to dry out.

xvvvz
06-13-2007, 08:20 AM
If it is just a dirty switch/contact, you might want to try some electronic parts cleaner that comes in a spray can. I know CRC makes it and have seen it at Pep Boys. Radio Shack sells something similar.

YYZ
06-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Pulled things apart - the switch is shorted out....

Anyone got a used one, cheap?