PDA

View Full Version : Air filter path

Spoonman
06-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I have a C180 and was wondering if theres a free (bodge) way to help airflow to the engine?

Pagz
06-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Remove the intake =)

trymonlam
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
cut out the little blocking piece in from of the intake on the grill. this has been done by a few 202 owners.
or, see if u can find a place under the intake box that's blocking air from outside and drill a hole there. a buddy of mine did this to his audi.
these being said, i doubt these would help performance much.

Spoonman
06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by trymonlam
cut out the little blocking piece in from of the intake on the grill. this has been done by a few 202 owners.
or, see if u can find a place under the intake box that's blocking air from outside and drill a hole there. a buddy of mine did this to his audi.
these being said, i doubt these would help performance much.

Why is it so damn big but blocks a huge amount of air? it doesnt make sense, and its not like its another grille to keep debris out, keeps air out too.

As long as it doesnt harm performance it might do a bit of good, more air = more bang theoretically.

kevinzorz
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
make a CAI, its not free, buts its pretty cheap.

trymonlam
06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Spoonman
Why is it so damn big but blocks a huge amount of air? it doesnt make sense, and its not like its another grille to keep debris out, keeps air out too.

As long as it doesnt harm performance it might do a bit of good, more air = more bang theoretically.

i think the original intention of that grill piece is to block rain from directly coming into the intake box. taking it off may help but it is unlikely to make a noticible difference. but then, hey, it's free if u got the tools.
far as CAI goes, like kevin said, it's not expensive to make one. but, if u r going with the down reaching design that some of the club members here use, u might want to make sure the area u r in doesn't rain very much, or worse, flood.

Spoonman
06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Whats a CAI? (sorry if thats a stupid question)

And I live in Scotland, so it does rain quite a lot (which isnt so bad for driving, its the only way you can get the 180 sideways at lower speeds ;)

Performance is good if u can get it easily, but Im planning on buying a drift car once I have the money, Id like to get my eye in on working on cars so doing bits here and there is just to feed my interest.

Is rain getting into the intake realy a major problem? does it pool in the filter box or something? and surely the grille must offer some protection to the intake.

strictlyspeakin
06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
CAI is a cold/custom air intake I believe. take your pick.

Spoonman
06-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Ah, an induction kit. Yeah could get one I suppose, not expensive, but I realy dont wanna spend any money on this car lol, it needs a new exhaust, rear brake lines, central locking fixed and an oil change so if Im spending money it'll be those problems first.

anf6789
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
i always wondered about the block in the grill. i think the box has enough protection from the grill already, there is about a foot of space unerneathe the filter and i doubt water can travel upwards from the bottom,lol. how would you guys go about takeing the block out, drilling holes? that seems the best bet.

MTI
06-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Of the folks that have suggested a "cold air intake" . . . who has done a before and after dyno run on their W202?

Spoonman
06-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MTI
Of the folks that have suggested a "cold air intake" . . . who has done a before and after dyno run on their W202?

good point, Its mostly down to the manufacturer, Ive heard good things about Apexi from the guys at Driftworks.

trymonlam
06-24-2007, 07:14 PM
there is a post a while ago regarding a research about the effects of having a high performance filter. i didn't read it but it was said that he arrived at the conclusion of it does very little, if at all.

Spoonman
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by trymonlam
there is a post a while ago regarding a research about the effects of having a high performance filter. i didn't read it but it was said that he arrived at the conclusion of it does very little, if at all.

All highly tuned cars Ive seen have them, including ones from major tuning garages who have access to all kinds of equipment such as rolling roads. My guess is theyre best used in conjunction with other mods such as high flow exhaust systems and aftermarket turbos. But they cant do any harm on a normal car, the manufacturers say 5bhp more, I think 3 is optimistic, and some engines just dont respond well to tuning parts unless theyre heavily modified internally too.