PDA

View Full Version : Runflat Tires

AirPost
06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Anyone here using runflat tires? If so, do you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System installed?

The reason I'm asking is that I just purchased used tires (Bridgestone Potenza RFT) without realizing that they are runflat tires - stupid me. I found stores that sell the TPMS for around $250 which basically install in the wheels and sends out readings of tire pressure/temperature wirelessly to a display unit. Given the characteristics of a runflat tire, it is hard to tell if it is actually loosing air unless it is measured manually.

Also, would installing these sensors do any harm to both the wheels or tires?

Here's what the suckers look like:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/821/smartirepassffrsysjf3.jpg

NEA-4311
06-22-2007, 12:51 AM
What do you need the metal rings for? :confused:

xvvvz
06-22-2007, 06:45 AM
The metal rings strap around the wheel. The black plastic rectangles, which are the sensors and integrated transmitter, are attached to the strap.

Cru328prod
06-22-2007, 06:52 AM
at my job we use big ol zip ties lmao. i would get the hella ones, i've seen them on tire rack they look pretty sick. you need sensors with the run flats, if you loose alot of pressure and your going above like 60 they'll just go out on you.

davis449
06-22-2007, 08:36 AM
IMHO, run-flats suck. Usually the first mod enthusiasts do to their cars that come stock with run-flats is replace them, or order the dealership to change them before purchase.

AirPost
06-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I will replace them once it wears out. It was just such a good deal, $75 each that I jumped on it. As a comparison, the rear tire when new is $350+ each. They still have 75-80% thread left. I know I can get new ones for that price with cheap brands but I'll just try these out for now.