PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Front Lower Arm Bushing (w202)

CKlasse
01-23-2003, 07:55 AM
attn J__ and Speedybenz,

The following is the step by step servicing your front lower arm including how to removing shocks/springs and bushings. I am not including bolts/nuts sizes as I found they could be vary from pre to post 1996 models.

Parts/Tools you might need (all MB OEM tools are similar to generic ones):
202 589 02 33 00 - extractor (any generic ones will do too)
140 589 00 63 00 - thrust piece tool (generic ones will do also)
129 589 10 63 00 - thrust piece tool for steering knuckle
124 589 03 33 00 - thrust piece tool for guide joint of steering knuckle
201 589 05 63 00 - extractor for the ball joint

OEM PARTS
202 320 11 30 - front shocks ($130)
202 320 08 31 - Rear shocks with self leveling ($130)
202 320 03 13 - Rear shocks without self leveling
210 330 00 35 - front lower ball joint ($40)
I need to call dealership regarding front bushings part # and $.

To Remove Lower Arm Control (including bushings / shocks) -- to remove/install shocks only do step 1 and 4 :D

1. Raise and support vehicle on both front wheel at the least. -- (Don't ever raise only one side because of the 'torsion bar' tension)

2. Unbolt and remove the torsion bar bracket. There are some bushings here, light clean up should be sufficient.

3. Using extractor tool and 'fork'/thrust piece, remove support joint from steering knuckle (If you work with suspensions often, you don't have to remove steering knuckle from the bottom joint, simply remove the top one. The purpose is to get more room).

4. Put jack under the control arm, raise it just enough to unscrew the shock's lower mounting bolt, lower the jack, remove the upper shock's double nuts.

5. Mark position of eccentric bolts relative to frame, then loosen nuts and press out bolts. FOR SAFETY, I USUALLY REMOVE/INSTALL ONE WHEEL AT THE TIME, so in case I forget which bolt go where, I could look at the other side.

6. Remove control arm bolts and support control arm

7. Using extractor and thrust piece tool, press support join from control arm. I only use screw driver to remove the bushings from the lower control arm once the bold is removed. If you have never removed the bushings, they might be stuck together pretty tight. Dealership use a 'cork screw' looking tool to extract these bushings. They are 2 set of bushings on each arm. Each set has two rubber bushings that need to be extracted in the opposite direction.

8 Remove control arm!

To make sure you won't ruin your new bushings, do not torque your control arm joint during installation. Once the wheels are back on and vehicle on the ground.. then torque them according to specs.

I will post torque and finally some images tonight. If you are a beginner, make sure you have complete tools and TIME to do so. If you aren't sure, please do it professionally. I am not responsible for anything!!! :D Someone like speedybenz should be able to tackle this in couple hours.

I am late for work and hopefully this give you an overview.:D

EDIT: My apology, somehow I left out the 'springs' part, you can 'chain up' your spring before removing the steering knuckle (step 3). Depending on your setup, spring can 'unsprung' as the steering knuckle is seperated from the ball joint. Please be careful upon doing so. To install the spring, you must use 'spring compressor.' -- or the more 'ghetto' way is to put the spring in place.. jack up your lower arm control (watch out.. if the spring isn't placed right, it can jump out while you compress it) and screw back your ball joint (bottom and top). Again.. if you have never worked with suspension, please have it done professionally!!

speedybenz
01-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Great info.

So the bushings will just push out of the lower control arm without too much trouble?

Did it tighten up the car?

Jeff

CKlasse
01-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Did it tighten up the car?

With the cupkit and new shocks on, I am not sure how much of an improvement new bushings play roll in, however, I am not too happy with the negative camber angle.. I have been playing around with the idea of custom 'tubular' lower arms - both fronts and rears. Interested? :)

Edit.. damn it, I cant spell!

714guy
01-25-2003, 07:13 PM
thanks for the info, can't wait for the pics i want to do this too.

C280 JR
01-26-2003, 10:56 AM
what are ALL the things that i would need to frop my 95 c280 properly??

Elvir

speedybenz
01-31-2003, 02:18 PM
CKlasse,

Are the bushings 3 piece items? The inner piece with an eccentric hole and 2 outer caps?

And the 3 piece set goes into the front part of the lower control arm and a 2nd, 3 piece set goes into the rear part of the lower control arm.

And then on the other side you would have to do the same.

Jeff

CKlasse
01-31-2003, 03:10 PM
Yes, three pieces not including the small washers on each end :)

speedybenz
01-31-2003, 06:34 PM
CKlasse,

Are the bushings the same for both the front and rear parts of the control arm?

If so I need to order 2 more bushings kits from Auto Haus.

Damn I only ordered 2 sets of bushings.

Jeff

CKlasse
02-03-2003, 03:28 PM
No, they are differents.

CKlasse
02-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Nevermind my last post... I thought those two sets are different, but a friend from Al's autohaus said..those two are the same exact bushings. Sorry for the confusions.

speedybenz
02-05-2003, 09:39 AM
So the front set of bushings for the control arm are the same as the rear set, right.

Jeff

CKlasse
02-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Jeff,

I would confirm it with the dealership. Part numbers are DIFFERENT, but they are identical according to a Merc Tech. I personally kept the fronts for the front, vice versa... Jusssst in case :)

Edit: will post part number tomorrow