PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressor replacement?

trymonlam
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
guys,
summer is unbearably hot and my AC compressor is long over due for change. contacted a parts dealer and asked for Denso 7SB16C compressor needed for my car(99 c280). he gave some interesting info:
"I mostly use the 7SBU16C which I prefer as it is a later generation compressor that replaced the 7SB series, the only external difference is that the bolts it is assembled with are hex instead of allen, however the improvement is that two of the internal bearings are larger."

anyone got knowledge on this?
thanks in advance.

Highhpta
06-29-2007, 06:52 AM
How much is the new compressor going to cost you, and also is it pretty easy to switch them out yourself?

trymonlam
06-29-2007, 07:30 AM
i am about to get a remanufactured one for little over 200. far as installation goes, i was told that it involves with breaking loose some bolts and a jack to get the car in the air to get the old one out from underneath the car. i think a new receiver drier and new oil is needed as well.

trymonlam
06-29-2007, 07:31 AM
anyone got any info regarding the compressor number?

Highhpta
06-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Where are you going to be getting these parts? I am either going to replace my ac compressor which the dealer says is my problem or sale the car. I find it weird that my ac will blow super cold every so often. I would think it would be a short in wiring or something causing the compressor to turn off.

xvvvz
06-29-2007, 04:38 PM
>>I am either going to replace my ac compressor which the dealer says is my problem or sale the car. I find it weird that my ac will blow super cold every so often.<<

Man, I sure would get a second opinion from a competent mechanic that really knows MB airco systems.

Highhpta
06-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually the first independent euro mechanic said it was my duo valve. Then when it wouldn't even work when I drove it home I took it back and said they didn't fix it. Well long story short they still charged my $400 to fix a part they said was bad either way whether it fixed my problem or not. I ended up taking it to the mercedes dealer and they couldn't figure it out then finally they said it was my ac compressor that needed to be replaced even though it does still work. So I am still perplexed as to what is really wrong with my car. The ac compressor will only turn on once in awhile when I'm idling or right when I start it up. Go figure.

trymonlam
06-29-2007, 08:16 PM
let me contact the parts vendor first. the last time i talked to him was over a month ago. i will find out what he's got in stock and i will see if i can have him save one for you.