PDA

View Full Version : Shock absorber removal and refitting

nokia8860
06-30-2007, 01:36 PM
The other day JerKi Motorsports International Limited Touge Tsukuba Circuit Panda Dragon Southwind Tiger Style (hereinafter "JerKi") sent over a set of Koni adjustable sport shocks.

The kit came with 2 front and 2 rear shock absorbers. These Konis are 3 way adjustable unfortunately, they are only adjustable off the car. But thats ok since i alway set things to 11 anyways.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/nokia8860/C%20Class%20W202/CRW_0372.jpg

Now on to the install.

Tools needed:

Various metric sockets (8mm, 10mm, 17mm)

Various metric crescent wrenches

Assortment of flat head screwdrivers

Rubber mallet

2 hydraulic jacks

wheel chocks

The front end (we're gonna work one side at a time)

Loosen the bolts to the wheel.

Open the hood an locate and remove a black rubber cover that encloses the locknut for the shock.

If you have a front strut bar you will need to remove this to allow for space for the tools

Once removed you will notice 2 17mm bolts. Remove the top locknut from the shock absorber. Loosen the second bolt (Upper mounting nut) but do not remove.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/nokia8860/C%20Class%20W202/CRW_0374.jpg

Next lift the side of the car you will be working on then remove the wheel..

Locate the nut from the shock absorber lower mounting bolt on the suspension lower arm (17mm here). Completely remove the bolt and washer taking note their positions so you can reassemble it again.

Now completely remove the upper mounting nut along with the washer and rubber mounting. Keep notes on their order as well.

Getting back under the fender, compress the shock absorber little by little till you can free it from the lower suspension arm. You may need to wiggle it, curse at it, hit it like its hott or use the second jack to help lift it up. Either way it may take some work but it will come free which will allow you to slide the whole unit away from the car.

Once removed take the spacer sleeve, dust cover and bump stop off, again noting their position.

Tip: the spacer sleeve may just slide off but if not it will. Just eat some spinach and try again. It will slide off (maybe with some resistance)

Photo of the front shock absorber (rear is similar)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/nokia8860/C%20Class%20W202/CRW_0375.jpg

1. Locknut 2. Upper mounting nut 3. Washer 4. Rubber mounting 5. Dust cover seal (I dunno) 6. Spacer sleeve 7. Dust cover 8. Washer (not reused on Koni install) 9 Bump stop 10. Shock Yes there is blood on one of the gloves. My finger got pinched pretty hard there :)

Refitting the Koni

Slide the bump stomp onto the shock absorber piston, followed by the dust cover. Next place the spacer sleeve on then followed by the dust cover seal.

You are now ready to place it back on the vehicle. Start with sliding the piston up into the hole in the fender then with more muscle slide the lower portion of the shock absorber to its mounting location. Fit the nut and blot to the lower arm and replace the wheel.

Lower the car gently insuring that the top of the shock piston is indeed in its correct location. Once the car is completely on the ground replace the rubber mounting, washer , upper mounting nut and finally the locknut.

Complete the other side of the car.

The rear install is pretty much like the front install. The only difference is the space you have to work with. You will need to remove the side trim panels inside the trunk to gain access to the upper shock mounts. As well as use an 8mm socket to remove the protective cover from the base of the suspension lower arm.

The only edge here is to those with 60/40 seats. With this you can work with complete freedom and actually can sit up while working. Also with the 60/40 you can also work with your rear strut bar still attached.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/nokia8860/C%20Class%20W202/CRW_0376.jpg

So sucks to be you non 60/40 people.:p

It took me 1 hr each corner for a total of 4 hours at a leisurely pace (read: stopped for time to drink, eat and surf the internet)

Once you remove the wheel and have a look at the car you will see that the process is pretty straight forward.

anf6789
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
wow thanks for the great info, i am actually planning on doing this soon, this makes it that much easier!!

tpliquid
07-02-2007, 03:41 PM
this is why i charge more $$$ to install koni.

gotta rip the old parts off to put on new shox..

i thught u died.

JOESID
07-02-2007, 06:05 PM
nice, i tried to get one of mine off last weekend...my car is so corroded I couldnt get the bolts off...

nokia8860
07-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by tpliquid

i thught u died.

sorta. they finally let me out of soul society.

tpliquid
07-02-2007, 07:05 PM
lol soul society

tell rukia to holla at a playa

C280/////AMG
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Brillirant!! What a coincidence!!
Ordered my koni adjustable yellows 3 weeks ago...still waiting. The guy told me that the front ones are there, but the factory is still assembling the rears (i smell b.s.)

Hey nokia, what's the ride like?

JRE320
07-04-2007, 06:11 PM
It rides like a horse... :D :D

kowalski
07-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
It rides like a horse... :D :D

hey buddy how does the car perform now with konis

JRE320
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kowalski
hey buddy how does the car perform now with konis

If you are asking me I don't know... :p :p Coz my car don't ride on Konis. They're the rich man shocks and I'm just a poor guy with
Bilstein sport.

kowalski
07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nokia8860
[B]The other day JerKi Motorsports International Limited Touge Tsukuba Circuit Panda Dragon Southwind Tiger Style (hereinafter "JerKi") sent over a set of Koni adjustable sport shocks.

sorry the question was for Nokia8860 from Finland how does your car perform with the yellow konis better than original shocks or what=?

do you recomend them for my c43 amg=?

are they reliable and are they made of good quality>? they must be better than AMG/BILSTEIN?=> or what?

nokia8860
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
kowalski: Ride quality is good and handling is better than stock (one would hope so anyways). The shocks give the car more confidence in a corner. I am able to take corners at a faster entry speed than before. Also power sliding has been more predictable. Whereas before balancing the weight had always been an issue.

You won't disappointed by installing these in place of your original units.