View Full Version : annoying problem

D-money
07-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I've had a vacuum pump leak and had no idea at all how to fix it or what to do. The actuator would keep vibrating and a loud hissing sound keeps coming from behind the dash. using the search button i learned a little about vacuum pump leaks and hoses. When i took of the cover in the engine i noticed that one green tube wasnt plugged in (thinking i found the problem) plugging it back in i thought would solve the problem. but no still the same vibration noise from the trunk and hissing sound somewhere in the right corner area behind the dash.
and my passenger door looks but when i try to unlock the key wont even turn. Is this a symptom of the vacuum pump

Did/does any body have this problem and know how to fix it?
any help is appreciated

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/dimonb16/DSC00410.jpg

strictlyspeakin
07-12-2007, 05:41 PM
What you've circled is the vacuum switch for the transmission shift delay.

With it off, I'm surprised your car isn't throwing a CEL with code p1700.

Sorry can't help with hissing noise. Could be a vacuum leak. Are you sure it's not the A/C making the hissing noise?

The pump is in the trunk on the right hand side if you want to take a look.

ImportPR
07-12-2007, 09:25 PM
i had that same vacuum hose loose. i still have a cel. :(

strictlyspeakin
07-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Even though you fixed the problem, the CEL won't go away until you clear the light.

Use a scanner to clear it or disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes.

D-money
07-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
Even though you fixed the problem, the CEL won't go away until you clear the light.

Use a scanner to clear it or disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes.
hey strictly speaking
what was happening was i was driving without it plugged in?
incorrect shift points? and when i plugged it in what did that do?

First Benz
07-17-2007, 03:52 PM
It's pretty much just an emissions thing. With the engine cold, it'll hold gears a bit longer to help heat up the cats to proper "working" temp. Once warm, that hose/valve has no purpose.

strictlyspeakin
07-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah. What he said :)

D-money
07-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by First Benz
It's pretty much just an emissions thing. With the engine cold, it'll hold gears a bit longer to help heat up the cats to proper "working" temp. Once warm, that hose/valve has no purpose.

oh ok, so it was really a big deal then?
i guess it had no effect on me because i always warm up my engine 5-10 minutes when cold

DynoXG
07-18-2007, 08:18 AM
D-Money, bro I had the same exact problem. It was soooo annoying because when someone got in my car the vaccum pump kept making noise for 5 minutes. Anyway, try this.

Since it's an air leak, you can usually hear it. Make sure you go to a garage or somewhere where it's very quiet. Open the doors and trunk. Lock and unlock to start the vacuum to make noise. Keep doing this and check all the door areas and truck and listen for the "hiss" of air escaping.

Mine turned out to be in the trunk lid. The air was escaping from there and it was audible in a quiet environment. Try this and please let us know how it goes.

strictlyspeakin
07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
It's not a big deal.
Warming it up like you did is probably why you never saw the CEL code I was talking about.

D-money
07-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by DynoXG
D-Money, bro I had the same exact problem. It was soooo annoying because when someone got in my car the vaccum pump kept making noise for 5 minutes. Anyway, try this.

Since it's an air leak, you can usually hear it. Make sure you go to a garage or somewhere where it's very quiet. Open the doors and trunk. Lock and unlock to start the vacuum to make noise. Keep doing this and check all the door areas and truck and listen for the "hiss" of air escaping.

Mine turned out to be in the trunk lid. The air was escaping from there and it was audible in a quiet environment. Try this and please let us know how it goes.

i know where the sound is coming from. Its a loud hissing sound coming from the right side of the dash. i dont know if i should take the dash apart or not. And if i find the leak, how do i fix it? new hose? or seal it?
thanks for the help guys

strictlyspeakin
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Check the flapper vent to see if it is leaking. You can do this from the engine bay. No need to break into the dash yet.

If the vents are anything like the 201 it'll be a diaphram that has failed.

D-money
07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Check the flapper vent to see if it is leaking. You can do this from the engine bay. No need to break into the dash yet.

If the vents are anything like the 201 it'll be a diaphram that has failed.

does the car have to on or of for me to do this (check flapper vent). and is the flapper vent the thing with many little holes on the bottom of the windshield (see pic)
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/dimonb16/circled.jpg

strictlyspeakin
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
No to both.
I'll look for a pic and get back to you.

strictlyspeakin
07-18-2007, 08:40 PM
You'll have to wait till I get in the office. I hope I'll get some time ...

Mean time, look around here to get some ideas.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=202022&M=111%2E961&GA=722%2E423&GM=717%2E417&CT=F&Cat=44V&SID=80

Start in the engine side then work inside if necessary. I think ScottyP just went thru something similar. Maybe he could shed some insights here.

strictlyspeakin
07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
The switchover box for the flappers is under the passenger knee panel.

D-money
07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
ok thanks, ill check there

D-money
07-20-2007, 06:45 PM
The switchover box for the flappers is under the passenger knee panel.

hey, took of the flapper vent cover and the vent thingy is there.
when i turn on the ignition i can hear the hissing sound from there.
i see all those tubes/hoses that are visible in the engine bay. im suspecting that one or more of them are leaking. do you know the color code or what color hoses are from the vacuum.
thanks for all your help,