PDA

View Full Version : how simular is c220 and c230 n\a motors\ pulleys

alphanumeric
07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
there is a 1994 c220 at the junkyard in my area, was thinking of snagging the pulleys, just in case I ditch the aged super charger in my car and swap in a turbo...

if its the same... can someone chime in what needs to be swapped to remove the supercharger and make it an N\A motor?

tank you

Pagz
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
The crank pully should be the same size and offset on all N/A models,but i have a feeling the mass ring may change thickness etc at some stage...not sure what year or engine...just a hunch.

So to convert your M111K pully system to M111 you will need:

-Alternator mounting bracket and all its accociated bolts.
-Alternator pully(which is slightly smaller than the M111K's)
-Crank pully
-Belt

the water pump and its pully are also different between models as the M111K pushes the viscous fan closer to the radiator to clear the SC pully on the crank...this also means the M111K fan shroud is more compact and tidy...so if you change to the N/A belt system,keep the original water pump and pully as is.

I originally changed my pump and pump pully to the N/A models because the original was looking tired and it gave more room in front of the engine as i was planning to run an electric fan...after deciding maybe this wasnt the way i'd like to go i changed back to the M111K system...so i bought another M111K pump and used the original pully....yip i know how to waste money=)

Cheers,
Paul

omeyhomey
07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
actually they are not the same which is the problem i ran into w/ the 4cyl crank pulleys when I was trying to develop them. not only are the mass rings different in thickness, the pulleys offsets are different AND their diameters are slightly different. Why MB did this i don't know but its annoying as hell

Pagz
07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
hmmm,are you 100% sure on the offset?...reason being the engine would need new alternator,PS,AC,tensioner and water pump pully's to compensate?,or changes in pully offset mounting....

If it is true i must have fluked getting the right crank,alternator,water pump/pump pully and right belt!?!?.
the only thing i bought second hand was the crank pully which was taken off some random N/A motor,the rest was new off the shelf...maybe for the C230,i cant remember now.

Maybe displacement does play a roll?

alphanumeric
07-25-2007, 09:25 PM
soo.. should I grab them? or just wait till I come across a C230 2.3.. I can prolly get this stuff for free

omeyhomey
07-25-2007, 09:49 PM
yes I am certain on offsets, they don't match. The are completely different designs and its very difficult to determine exactly when they started putting the new ones in, i know its somewhere in 00 but where exactly can only be determined in VIN# 98-00 diff from 00-02

alphanumeric
07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
so.... you are saying that I have to get pulleys and Alt brackets off a 98-00 C230 2.3 N\A... strictly 98-00?????

I guess that makes sense