PDA

View Full Version : Get my new toy

pisit
07-23-2007, 11:05 PM
just received the package the other day :D , an electronic boost controller from HKS. I'll try to install it next weekend and see how it goes.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/toei06/DSCN0475Small.jpg?t=1185259810
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/toei06/DSCN0477Small.jpg?t=1185259995

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/toei06/DSCN0480Small.jpg?t=1185260027

rman
07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
what is it for? I mean, I know what it does, but what application are you using it for?

pisit
07-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by rman
what is it for? I mean, I know what it does, but what application are you using it for?
to control my turbo setup, have been having problem with the unstable turbo boost for a while. I've try changing the wastegate actuator + manual boost control, but seem to be having boost creep around 4,000RPM. will try to get the easywriter to program the boost MAP with TPS/RPM as well.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/toei06/11062007112edit.jpg?t=1185267970

NEA-4311
07-24-2007, 02:16 AM
Great toy, beast car! Wow.

Cru328prod
07-24-2007, 07:17 AM
how much did that turbo setup cost you.........

alphanumeric
07-24-2007, 07:54 AM
I am thinking its a custom job he has done himself..

pisit
07-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
how much did that turbo setup cost you.........
pure custom made, lost track of our much i spent on this set up, but much less from Paul's :p
anywayz, approximately it should be around 6k, from turbo, piping, intercooler, ECU, fuel system, etc. oh but it's exclude the the experimental and waste parts that i had to throw away.

Cru328prod
07-24-2007, 09:45 AM
i would love to upgrade my fuel system.....what did you all get? i wish there was a way to adjust fuel and everything from inside the car, I was lookiing into that O2 sensor thing you showed me, How did you wire all of it up, and where did you put the 02 sensor

Pagz
07-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by pisit
to control my turbo setup, have been having problem with the unstable turbo boost for a while. I've try changing the wastegate actuator + manual boost control, but seem to be having boost creep around 4,000RPM. will try to get the easywriter to program the boost MAP with TPS/RPM as well.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/toei06/11062007112edit.jpg?t=1185267970

Engine bays Looking good man!!

hey not to sure what you mean by boost creep!?...are you getting an uncontrolled rise in boost above your actuator setting at 4000rpm??

Dont know how you got that turbo so far back in the bay haha man that must have been tight!!!:D
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/735000-735999/735658_343_full.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

pisit
07-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Engine bays Looking good man!!

hey not to sure what you mean by boost creep!?...are you getting an uncontrolled rise in boost above your actuator setting at 4000rpm??

Dont know how you got that turbo so far back in the bay haha man that must have been tight!!!:D

Cheers,
Paul
boost if floor the throttle i would see the boost rise to about 15psi, which is sure not safe for a standard internal. i looking at around 10psi for daily drive and 12psi on high boost. the actuator is rated at 8 psi, will have to see how the EVC would help.

it's very tight indeed, but i'm using urethane mount so problem from the turbo or exhaust pipe hit the firewall. but having slight problem with the vibration from the engine.
chaos!
Troy

c280nz
07-24-2007, 09:31 PM
im pretty sure you will be getting boost creep from not having a big enough exhaust wastgate :confused:

pisit
07-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
im pretty sure you will be getting boost creep from not having a big enough exhaust wastgate :confused:
mayb, but by trying to bypass the manual boost control i was getting around 10psi. i have also try to lengthen the push rod of the actuator by about 2mm but have drove it yet.

Pagz
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey Troy,
Unfortunatly like logan said,its sounds like the wastegate is too small!...even more unfortunate is that no amount of electronic boost control will fix this.

Are you running an internal or external waste gate?

If you are running an internal gate you may be able to enlargen the gate slightly...possibly with or without changing the valve size...if this does not help the situation or is not possible you will need a larger turbine housing...or a larger external gate.

I bet the vibration is insane!...especially around 2500rpm!?!? =)
im running stock engine mounts...it really is the only way to go!...you just need heaps of clearance around the turbo,but even with as much clearance as i could get,under heavy launch my outer water jacket fitting still just touches the water pipe under those wastgate pipes...so im planning to run a mild engine damper down low under the intake plenum...atm the engine is silky smooth so if the damper induces to much vibration i will take it out. .....after all the problems iv had with vibration and parts touching...you really begin to appeciate a smooth running engine!!

Pagz
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
mayb, but by trying to bypass the manual boost control i was getting around 10psi. i have also try to lengthen the push rod of the actuator by about 2mm but have drove it yet.

Hmm,didnt realise you had a manual boost control(should have seen that purple valve first time round=) )...so if you bypass the manual boost solinoid you get 10psi at WOT??

this would indicate all is ok with the wastegate and turbine housing...and a possible fault with the blead off system you are using on the wastegate actuator...

Either way the HKS controller will work well if all the piping is sound.

pisit
07-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Hmm,didnt realise you had a manual boost control...so if you bypass the manual boost solinoid you get 10psi at WOT??

this would indicate all is ok with the wastegate and turbine housing...and a possible fault with the blead off system you are using on the wastegate actuator...

Either way the HKS controller will work well if all the piping is sound.
yup was getting 10psi at WOT, if the gauge is working properly (using autometer boost gauge). i'll try running it with out the evc in place and with the lengthen rod set up first. will see how things go.

Pagz
07-25-2007, 12:15 AM
yup was getting 10psi at WOT, if the gauge is working properly (using autometer boost gauge). i'll try running it with out the evc in place and with the lengthen rod set up first. will see how things go.

Sounds good let us know how you get on! =)

c280nz
07-25-2007, 02:09 AM
as long as you wernt running a super cheapo manual boost controller, then it should have run fine,
if you are running a cheap boost controller you normally get boost spikes as they cannot keep up the instand flow to the wastgate actuator to quickly adjust exhaust gas pressure.
but then you said when you took off the boost controller you got a consistant 10psi?

is your manual boost controller a cheap one?

also are you just running the standard computer with a piggy back? and what have you done about timing control?

looks good tho!!!!

pisit
07-25-2007, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
as long as you wernt running a super cheapo manual boost controller, then it should have run fine,
if you are running a cheap boost controller you normally get boost spikes as they cannot keep up the instand flow to the wastgate actuator to quickly adjust exhaust gas pressure.
but then you said when you took off the boost controller you got a consistant 10psi?

is your manual boost controller a cheap one?

also are you just running the standard computer with a piggy back? and what have you done about timing control?

looks good tho!!!!
was using turbosmart boost control. without it, i was running a consistent 10psi.
for the ECU setup i'm using HKS F-CON SZ which can alter the fuel and ignition.

12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Sorry for bringing up old threads :)

Hi Pisit..

would you ever consider doing a mass production on your turbo kit.
If u got all your turbo setup working right,
it will be great tho to have a complete set of turbo kit for 4cyl W202 for sell in the market.

considering u can have lower labour to actually make the turbo kit in Thailand compare to the state or other country.

pisit
12-21-2007, 06:22 AM
hey
thought of producing for the local market here, but never for others.
yes, i got my car running perfectly, but it's still based on a RH vehicle, which the manifold and downpipe would be totally different from the LH. also ecu tuning is based on the climate and road condition here, which it would barely work else where.
even though labor costs are cheap here, but it would be only for installation and tuning. when it come to producing really quality parts, it's not that cheap. since the using of modern machinery like laser cutting or water blasting flange is still fairing expensive. i would have to make ten and hundred of them so that my vendor would be willing to make these stuff or it won't breakeven their investment neither.

12-21-2007, 10:36 PM
hey
thought of producing for the local market here, but never for others.
yes, i got my car running perfectly, but it's still based on a RH vehicle, which the manifold and downpipe would be totally different from the LH. also ecu tuning is based on the climate and road condition here, which it would barely work else where.
even though labor costs are cheap here, but it would be only for installation and tuning. when it come to producing really quality parts, it's not that cheap. since the using of modern machinery like laser cutting or water blasting flange is still fairing expensive. i would have to make ten and hundred of them so that my vendor would be willing to make these stuff or it won't breakeven their investment neither.

So is possible to make an exact copy of your turbo kit.. Sweet :D
coz i am located in Indonesia and weather or road condition i would say is roughly the same as in thailand. :D

i am soo amaze with the quality & craftsmanship for turbo kit made in thailand. like what u guys made for Honda Jazz/Fitz that are on sale in indonesia, they are really good and better in price also.

if you could make another complete turbo kit like yours, can you tell me roughly how much will it cost, coz i am also interested in turbocharging my car but dunno where to start. :(
BTW mine is c200 will it be the same as yours c220 engine. from the picture it look more likely the same.

thanks
Fred