PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Brake Advice

Ashkan's C280
07-29-2007, 02:34 PM
I am in need to replace the brake pads and rotors again, and while I am at it I am going to get ss lines and change the fluid. What is the best parts I can get with performance in mind.

PADS:

Brake pads brands I know of: Axxis, R1 Concepts, Posi Quiet, Akebono, ATE, Satisfied Pro Perform, Hawk, Porterfield, VelveTouch, Brembo, thebrakeman.

Which pads would you recommend for performance? Brand and type please. Moreover, please note known problems with the brake pad sensor.

Rotors:

Brake rotor brands I know of: Brembo, ATE, Power Slot, R1, Pro Stop, Frozen Rotor, thebrakeman.

Which brake rotors would you recommend for performance? Brand and type please. In addition, what treatments do you recommend being done to the rotor? Cross-drilled, slotted, silver finish, Cryogenic finish, Cadmium finish.

SS Lines:

Known Brands: Goodridge, Stoptech.

What determines good ss lines? The braid is obviously important, so is the issue of the "hacksaw effect".

Brake Fluid:

No brainer ATE Super Blue & TYP 200. Same specs just different color, just makes it easy to know when all the old fluid is gone.

*The list of brands is just a reference of what I know,, if you are aware of other better brands, please let me know. I will update the list of brands as new companies are brought up. A huge thanks in advance for those who will help this thread receive clear answers. There is no definitive answer to a brake setup aside from a complete upgrade. I believe that a upgrade to the aforementioned parts would yield superior brake performance to oem. I denote performance as best overall stopping ability throughout all braking conditions.

Cheers

~ Ashkan

JRE320
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
I say Brembo & Porterfield. It's the best combination. ;)

Ashkan's C280
07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
All these views and no replies???

crazy00c230k
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
i used to have brembo slotted rotors and brake pros pads, worked pretty well

digital2620
07-29-2007, 09:10 PM
maybe because we need the same thing and don't have any answers :-)

I will need new rotors and pads too. I'm leaning to the Power Slot cryo rotors. Not sure about the pads. Definitely will stay away from carbon fibre pads.

I want a pad that reduces brake dust and improves brake performance from OEM.

The cross drilled rotors look cool but not keen on people saying there ok but not for track use. I don't plan on using on the track but if that is the most demanding requirement then why not get for street use?

Ashkan's C280
07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
from what I have looked up people also say to stay away from cross drilled as they are more prone to crack, and slotted would be the way to go. thebrakeman has some pretty insane stuff, I am going to give them a call to see if I can get parts without having to buy an entire system. There line for Mercedes is almost not there, so I am not sure if just getting certain parts and having them fit without buying entire kit is even possible.

Proven Guilty
07-30-2007, 12:36 AM
zimmerman cross-drilled, Axiis/PBR deluxe plus pads, stop tech lines, ate typ200 fluid.

http://www.alleuropeanautoparts.com

problem solved ;)

stox
07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
zimmerman cross-drilled, Axiis/PBR deluxe plus pads, stop tech lines, ate typ200 fluid.

http://www.alleuropeanautoparts.com

problem solved ;)

I'll second that configuration! I have the same and have been extremely happy with it.

97C28O
07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I have ATE Rotors and PBR Deluxe < GREAT STUFF, BARELY ANY DUST!!

Stopping power is close to stock...

C280_Spawrt
07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
R1 Concepts = Better than OEM performance for = not so much

c280nz
08-01-2007, 01:36 AM
get slotted not drilled.
i use ebc greenstuffs up front at present, pritty good braking performance, better than stock, and less brake dust

Powerslave
08-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I tried PBR brake pads...
THEY ARE AWESOME!

Ashkan's C280
08-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I am leaning towards r1 rotors and axxis ult pads and stoptech lines and I have already ordered super blue fluid, can someone post te part number for the brake sensors please. Could anyone else comment here, jeff? omey? renn? Where have all the gurus gone?

tpliquid
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
troutman for SS lines.

fuck porterfields. those pads gave up on me from 100-0 stopping, overheated i stoppe din middle of intersection

Ashkan's C280
08-06-2007, 01:38 PM
troutman ss lines are custom order, does anyone know how long the 97 c280 lines are so they can make them? The website is troutman (http://germanpartsusa.com/bbl.html) if anyone wants to check it out.

tpliquid
08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
they made some for CLK55

i ordered the CLK55 ones.

they are right length maybe a lil bit longer. which is fine.

omeyhomey
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Get Stop Tech lines, they are by far the best quality. Do not get the ebay lines and the ones on tirerack have been known to fail. Stoptech are by far the best and safest option. Those troutman ones look ghetto

Rotors = flat or slotted, no drilled

pads = Axxis / posi-quiets good

Proven Guilty
08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
the zimmerman "drilled" rotors are fine because they're not actually drilled. just stay away from the ebay drilled rotors because they're actually machined standard rotors, and they'll crack under heat.

i've ordered everything off http://www.alleuropeanautoparts.com and they have OEM brake lining sensors and mercedes oem anti-squeal paste. they don't carry the axiis pads, but they have the pbr pads.

i'll post pics of the brakes i just did the past weekend on the W208 if you'd like to see what they're like installed..

i'll agree with omey on the stop tech lines. they're the best i've used to date.

@ash - just take a wheel off and measure your brake lines. they differ from front to rear.

C280_Spawrt
08-07-2007, 06:53 AM
wait, the R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors are no good? II love them!!

tpliquid
08-07-2007, 06:56 AM
anything drilled will give u less braking power

Ashkan's C280
08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
so is zimmerman better than r1?

Logic
08-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Zimmermann crossed drilled rotors... i took them to mercedes and had oem brake pads added to them ...was going to do a performance type of pad but i m not usually hard on my brakes and they were cheaper then buying mercedes oem rotors...bought mine online @ autopartswarehouse.com they run about 91.00 dollars although i bought mine in the winter for 75.00 better to buy them off season for the savings plus free shipping on any purchase over 50 dollars
http://img.autopartswarehouse.com/live/thumb/N100054976BAL.JPG

Ashkan's C280
09-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I went with the R1 concept rotors and they cryo treated them for me, I also went with axxis ult pads and troutman ss lines. The fluid I bought was ate super blue. Pics will come soon, someone host for me please... and pics of my exhaust are also coming... stay tuned....