PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Rieger Kit Yesterday: Install Questions

JasonH
09-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi all,

I ordered my Rieger kit yesterday (front, rear & sides), so it should be here next Monday or Tuesday.

For those of you with experience installing this kit, are there any tricks or quarky things I should know about?

TIA,
Jason

CKlasse
09-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Jason,

According to Rieger guide, the front and rear aprons are held by nothing but few rivettes and silicon. I fabricated simple brackets out of aluminum piece. I used two brackets on the front, and 3 for the rear.

The side skirts can be installed using double tape and silicon. Rivettes would help too.

Overall, its pretty straight forward installation considering the works you do for your c220. :)

How's the car running??

Luwin1026
09-05-2003, 09:45 AM
I second that - for the pre-facelifted cars, it's a walk in the park.

My body shop custom made some brackets to hold it securely - the silicone by itself made me a little skeptical.

JasonH
09-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the tips guys :D

I think I too would be nervous with just double sided tape and silicone! :eek: I'll have to develop something.

The car is running great. Unfortunately, last night I developed an exhaust leak. I think it's coming from the bottom of the exhaust header where it bolts to the head, but it's so tight in there that I could not tell for sure. Sucks, because getting that baby off is quite a time consuming chore. The shop that put the engine in put a gasket on it, and there was no gasket prior, so I'm reasonably confident that's what gave out. We'll be checking it out later today (no big deal though, just a major inconvenience). Bummer though, just when I was having fun too!

The good news is that I have managed to put nearly 600 miles on already so (depending on how long this takes to fix) it won't be too long till I can really start having fun!

Jason

Brabus
09-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Nice! You should mold the kit in rather than just "add-on"

CKlasse
09-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Brabus

YES... it would look much better. I plan on doing the same as soon as I am done with everything else

714guy
09-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Brabus

here the shot of the rear molded on,

http://www.caoinc.net/pics/rear_trunk.jpg

I dont think the front would look good molded on tho, b/c it doesn't really look like an add on like the rear does.