PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding changing gauge clusters

dwang
09-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Yesterday, I was in a non sports model W202. As most of you know, the guage cluster is the standard black VDO cluster (I have a sports model that has the white gauge cluster). I noticed that the speedometer has different positions for the speeds than that of my cluster. For example, on my cluster, 80 MPH is at the 12 O'Clock position while on the non sports black cluster, 80 MPH is at about the 1 O'Clock position.

My question is this: If you swap out a non sports cluster for a sports cluster, will the cluster still compute the speed correctly? Is there something inside the cluster that recognizes this?

Dave

Denlasoul
09-05-2003, 10:02 AM
I would think there is a way to recalibrate everything when you do a swap.

nokia8860
09-05-2003, 10:09 AM
If you swap out the entire cluter yes the gauges will be accurate. There is no mechanical speedo cable like on older cars. Its all digital baby!!!

pnsji
09-05-2003, 10:46 AM
The only time you need to calibrate is when you physically remove the needle from the dial.

SLAMMED_C
09-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Yesterday, I was in a non sports model W202. As most of you know, the guage cluster is the standard black VDO cluster (I have a sports model that has the white gauge cluster). I noticed that the speedometer has different positions for the speeds than that of my cluster. For example, on my cluster, 80 MPH is at the 12 O'Clock position while on the non sports black cluster, 80 MPH is at about the 1 O'Clock position.
Do u want the non sport black gauges??? cause I'm looking for the sport white face gauges! u wanna trade??
the thing to do is to take the cluster out of ur car.. pop off the plastic housing for the front.. and remove the screws on each individual gauge. then remove ur gauge and install the new one.. reinstall the screws, pop on the housing and put it in ur car.. in regards to having to calibrate anything.. I dont think there is any need to.. the cluster is all electronic.. no cables to the speedo. no worries.. plug and play.

dwang
09-08-2003, 04:20 AM
I was only commenting on the gauge cluster... I plan on keeping my white cluster. Thanks.

Dave

SLAMMED_C
09-08-2003, 07:49 PM
I was only commenting on the gauge cluster... I plan on keeping my white cluster. Thanks.
oh...... dammit!!