PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Wermacht123
08-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here with my 1998 c230. About two weeks ago I changed my spark plugs and did an oil and filter change. The car has been driving great since then. The only other thing I have done since then is a full brake change (All 4 discs and pads) Now the car is running like crap! I got a CEL and my engine is running very very rough at idle in park, as well as when Im running low rpms in gear. This is a new devlopment which first occured a day ago. This problem doesnt seem to have anything to do with my brakes, maybe I knocked a sensor loose? I dont think it is th MAF since its only 40,000 miles old, and recived a cleaning durring my oil change. I'm gonnna bring the car to Advanced Auto Parts to scan the codes tomorrow. Hopefully with the info from that someone can help me figure out the problem. UGH!

OzC36
08-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Check that you didn't knock any vacuum lines loose during the service work.

Superpnoy
08-20-2007, 08:11 AM
when you said low idles its running rough do oyu mean that the belt is shaking like crazy? cause mine does that and its been pissing me off for a year already...at first it was the belt tensioner...changed it later realizing its the a/c compressor...changed it recently thennn it was fine and dandy...it was just squeeking but now its bad iono i dont want to waste moneyo n another tensioner when it actually might be not...any ideas?

Wermacht123
08-20-2007, 08:43 AM
No, it's not the belt or the tensioner, I replaced mine with a new water pump about 50000 miles ago, so shouldn't be a problem with that. plus I checked it while the engine was doing that, the belt was still tight and running good. I'm bringing the car down to the auto parts store tonight to get it scanned for the CEL code. Then hopefully I will be able to get some idea what is going on. I hope its just something stupid like the MAF or another sensor.

As for your problem, there is sqeaking coming from your belt? Maybe your belt is slipping because it is worn out? Or possibly your water pump might be on its way out, although when mine was dying it made more of a loud clicking sound. I'm no tech just a regular guy with average knowledge of my car. I'm sure there are more qualified people on this website to ask. Good luck.

Superpnoy
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
yah its reall wierd...i just got done cleaning the filter and the MAS ...the car is running more smoothly and doesnt squeak on park anymore...but it squeaks heavily on gear when the a/c is on so i dont really know what to do...all i know is that when i put it in gear the idle goes really low compared to on park iono i hope you figure things out as well

strictlyspeakin
08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Wermacht123- don't have much for you. the codes should help out. maybe it's a p030x misfire. Loose connection type of thing...

superpnoy - don't steal a thread like that. if it is squealing badly only when the a/c is on it might be either the a/c compressor bearings going or it's low on oil. since you said that the belt was shaking some sort of bearing issue is my guess.

Wermacht123
08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking I might hafta go back into my ignition system and check all my connections, but still at work right now, waiting rather impatiently to get to the parts store and scan the dammed thing. If it ends up being a vacuum line problem I dont really have much experience with them, where would they be located, and would it be wise to do it myself or have my friend (a certified tech) look at it?

xvvvz
08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Did you check the email that I took time to send to you?

Wermacht123
08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
No not yet, I was at work all day, sorry. I will check it asap!

Wermacht123
08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I didnt get your email, If you could send it again i would appreciate it alot. Thanks.

Wermacht123
08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Alright, here are the codes that my lovely automobile has sent me :

P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0443 EVAP Emission Control System Purge Valve C
P0110 IAT Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Hey guys any help with diagnosing the cause of these warning lights would be very very appreciated, thanks for all your help.

xvvvz
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
The email was resent a 1-2 hours ago.

Wermacht123
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I think you are sending it to the wrong e-mail, Mine is Wermach123@aol.com no T in wermach (misspelled a million years ago)

OzC36
08-20-2007, 06:50 PM
The misfire on number 4 cylinder is rather telling. Loose high tension cable connection? Check very carefully the number 4 plug connection. You have to push these on quite hard. Also check the other cables related to the number 4 cylinder (to the coil etc).

xvvvz
08-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Sorry. I just hit reply to your email so I don't think it is a typing error on my part. I am on a different PC now, so no access to what was sent.

Wermacht123
08-21-2007, 05:29 AM
I noticed that the cable seemed a bit worn out when i checked it last night, so i ordered up new wires all around. Got them from AutohausAZ for $80 all together. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Wermacht123
08-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, I was just doing some reading on other threads about platinum spark plugs and how they are potentially bad for my engine, I recently reaplced my spark plugs with platniums without realizing that they would be bad for my car. Is it possible that this could be causing or might have contributed to the problems I am having?

Wermacht123
08-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Well last night I went back in the car, took out all my wires, and plugs, put the plugs back in. Then reconnected all the wires, making sure the connections were clean and tight. Then I took out the MAF, cleaned the hell out of it with MAF cleaner, then put it all back together. And like nothing ever happned, the CEL was gone, and the misfire was gone. Problem solved! But I am still puting new wires in it tomorrow, just to make sure nothing happens again.

OzC36
09-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Still good?

Wermacht123
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I've been driving the car now with new plugs and wires and the cleaned MAF for a few weeks now and no problems whatsoever. Problem solved!