View Full Version : A/C Leak?

BBad199
08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Interestingly enough, my A/C compressor was replaced about 11 months ago. I noticed that the climate control wasn't cooling the car like normal, and an audible hiss was emminating from the dash. I figured it was a leak, so I recharged the system and injected dye as well as filled the washing fluid resevoir because all my fluid seemed to have leaked out.

A let it sit a day, today. The air blows warm and my resevior is empty again. I don't think the problems are related, but just kinda odd how things deterioate at the same time.

Trouble is, I don't see any dye marks with a UV scan. Maybe its untrained eyes, but any suggestions before I bring her to the dealer for a raping of my check book?

D-money
08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
sounds like a vacuum leak. pain in the a$$ to fix

BBad199
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
The resevior seems to have a rubber plug that is on the bottom left corner that has deteriorated away. It looks like that is where the head light washing system would go if that option were on the car. Anyway, I need to get a new plug so I can refill the resevior. Problem solved.

I spent another 10 minutes with a black light in a dark, hot garage trying to find any trace of the dye. I can't find anything. Would a small leak in the system cause the system to loose more than 40 PSI in 2 days? I just recharged it 48 hours ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to check the pressure again, but I know its below 50 psi (i think that's what another forum memeber said is the cut off for the fans to run) cause the fans aren't kicking in either.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

xvvvz
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
FYI - I just had a quote today to replace the compressor and it was $1700-$1800 at the indy and $2200 at the dealer. The indy was quoting for a complete flush, receiver drier (required to get a warranty), compressor, etc. 31,400 miles on the car since new and 6 months out of extended warranty. 2,200 miles since the dealership did a service to repair the receiver/drier+switch+leak.

BBad199
08-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have a schematic of the A/C system so that I can better search for the UV dye?

BBad199
08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I found the culprit. My condenser is pissing all over the place, and it looks like I might have a slight leak from the dryer to the evaporator, but its pretty hard to tell as the rubber isn't oily on the connector itself.

Anyhow, I picked up a condenser off ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-A-C-Condenser-ALL-C-Class-CLK-W202-W208_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33547QQihZ006QQite mZ160150780453QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Someone please tell me I didn't just through away my money on something that will be a head ache to install and unreliable. I saw prices for ACI branded around $210, so I thought $183 shipped was reasonable for ebay pricing for a similar product.

I emailed the seller to determine the exact brand. I'm hoping he didn't just pawn off a cheap aftermarket component on me and this thing is decent quality. Anyone have any experience with this seller?

Thanks