View Full Version : De-Badging Rear MB Star

C280_Spawrt
08-23-2007, 05:36 AM
OK so I've been thinking about debadging the C280 in back of my car for a while now and while pondering that idea I began to play around with getting rid of the MB Star in the back as well. Many people i have talked to don't agree due to the fact that well... that's what makes a mercedes.

I personally, think it would look good and nice and clean. my only concern is how it is attached to the cars body. The "C280" part is probably just glued and will come off with a hairdryer and fishing line but upon inspection of the star, I think there is liek a hole and a rubber/plastic piece that attaches it to the vehicle. Ay input is appreciated.

My questions are:

1.) Is it true there is an invasive piece that is holding the star to the body?

2.) If so, then upon removal how can I fill the hole in order to keep that area a clean, solid body panel that gives no evidence a star was ever there?

3.) I VALUE YOUR OPINIONS so what do you guys think about this and also does anyone have any pics of what the final product will look like?

Denlasoul
08-23-2007, 07:59 AM
I believe you rear trunk star is attached by three pins (on the emblem) going into three holes (with plastic inserts).

IF you tak off the emblem, you woud need to pry out the inserts or sand them down. Fill with putty and paint.

edot: use some dental floss to pry off the emblem if you need to get a better idea of how its mounted. It just comes off, no adhesives.

C280_Spawrt
08-23-2007, 09:44 AM
you are correct about those inserts that's for sure. After i wrip out star i'm just gonna take it to a body shop and have them apply the putty (unless you are willing to give me a step by step walkthrough);)

coolin
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by C280_Spawrt
you are correct about those inserts that's for sure. After i wrip out star i'm just gonna take it to a body shop and have them apply the putty (unless you are willing to give me a step by step walkthrough);)

I wouldn't try this yourself unless you know what you are doing and have all the gear.

You'll have to sand, puddy and spray the whole trunk.

Body work sucks.

Renn 208
08-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Gah, it's been so long since I last did this...but if I recall correctly, to remove the trunk star, you should pop out the inner trunk liner (mostly push-pin style fasteners), then locate the rear of the star which is held in by plastic retention clips.

yank the retention clips from the rear, and the trunk star will come right out without having to "saw" things off.

And yes, there will be holes to fill.

C280_Spawrt
08-25-2007, 08:03 AM
thanks guys

It will look nice rite?

Denlasoul
08-25-2007, 12:51 PM
thanks guys

It will look nice rite?
Nope.

jnolte
08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Nope.

lol

C280_Spawrt
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
It will

OCKlasse
08-25-2007, 02:01 PM
It will

I say leave it.

AirPost
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Looks like the old Mitsubishi Lancer...

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/48/debadgewb5.jpg

Benzon
08-25-2007, 03:39 PM
I would leave it, wouldn't say the work and money would be worth it.

C280_Spawrt
08-25-2007, 03:43 PM
the thing is tho, the star is kinda bent outta shape. i wud have to go to the stealer to get a new one.

AirPost
08-25-2007, 03:48 PM
It's like $6.50 and maybe cheaper in Ebay.

Deck Lid Star (http://www.performanceproducts4benz.com/productpage.aspx?pid=110608&name=Deck+Lid+Star&vehicle=28196)

C280_Spawrt
08-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by AirPost
It's like $6.50 and maybe cheaper in Ebay.
hmmmmm your right

Denlasoul
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I saw an E W210 with a modified star on the trunk. Basically, he broke off the ring and left the "Star"

I wanted to throw a brick threw the rear window.

BTW, why do we refer to it as a star?

AirPost
08-25-2007, 09:19 PM
It was referred to as a "3 pointed star" for land, air and sea but as to the term "star", I'm not sure.

While doing some research (sorry to be off topic), I came across the news that Daimler and Chrysler separated in May 2007. I feel out of touch with the news lately. This would mean that Daimler and it's engineers, would once again have the freedom to make their cars without restrictions which to me is great news. We will see with the new cars that come out after the de-merger.

jnolte
08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I saw an E W210 with a modified star on the trunk. Basically, he broke off the ring and left the "Star"

I wanted to throw a brick threw the rear window.

BTW, why do we refer to it as a star?

i saw an old s class with the same thing today

OCKlasse
08-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
i saw an old s class with the same thing today

I've seen it here as well...

alas...

C280_Spawrt
08-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Well, I think that's stupid as well. i was considering taking the whole thing off or leaving the whole thing on.

you see, im only 18 yrs old and whenever someone asks me what type of car i drive,i'm almost embarassed to tell them a mercedes. I'm not saying taking the "star" off the back would mean now i could tell them "HA! i don't even know why car i drive!!" but maybe it would subconsciously make me feel better. idk someone on the road who is not familiar with the car might say "hmm what car is that? It looks like a Mitsu Galant but not really..."

OCKlasse
08-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Well, I think that's stupid as well. i was considering taking the whole thing off or leaving the whole thing on.

you see, im only 18 yrs old and whenever someone asks me what type of car i drive,i'm almost embarassed to tell them a mercedes. I'm not saying taking the "star" off the back would mean now i could tell them "HA! i don't even know why car i drive!!" but maybe it would subconsciously make me feel better. idk someone on the road who is not familiar with the car might say "hmm what car is that? It looks like a Mitsu Galant but not really..."

why are you embarrassed? :confused:

Renn 208
08-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Most of the time when I see the star sans ring, I think "hmm, someone didn't know that it's attached by pins in the back" and tried to pry off the star...

C280_Spawrt
08-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
why are you embarrassed? :confused:
because i'm an 18 yr old driving a mercedes

Proven Guilty
08-27-2007, 08:30 AM
i've been considering replacing the star with one of a W203, since it's much smaller and sleek in design.

since my car is still a ghetto superstar, my trunk badge pops off with ease. i'll test fit one after i look up the price.

Denlasoul
08-27-2007, 09:24 AM
because i'm an 18 yr old driving a mercedes
Maybe you should consider owning a different car.

C280_Spawrt
08-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe you should consider owning a different car.
..what does that mean?

Denlasoul
08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
..what does that mean?
Well, if you are embarassed to say you own a Mercedes, then maybe you should drive a different car.

C280_Spawrt
08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, if you are embarassed to say you own a Mercedes, then maybe you should drive a different car.
I'm not embarassed to own a mercedes, I love my car as much as anyone here. Unfortunately people judge me due to the fact that i'm driving one at my age. It has nothing to do with my feelings for my car.

Denlasoul
08-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm not embarassed to own a mercedes, I love my car as much as anyone here. Unfortunately people judge me due to the fact that i'm driving one at my age. It has nothing to do with my feelings for my car.
Well, I guess we are different in that other people's opinion dont matter to me.

Realistically, its not too far fetched to see an 18y/o driving a 7 year old car. How much do 00 go for nowadays? 10K? Very resonable car to have for someone considering the ammenities and safety as well as the taste of luxury.

edit: on topic, keep the rear star. Much cleaner with it.

Logic
09-02-2007, 09:03 AM
if your looking for something different what i did on mine is i purchased a new star and took the ring off around the star and put it back on ...gives it a totally different look

DirectLA
09-29-2008, 04:41 PM

I understand what you're saying but I had nice cars when I was young too (Jaguar, Porsche), and they were all older models by the time they got to me but people in that small town weren't accustomed to seeing young people in "expensive" cars. The only thing really expensive was the maintenance! I did once have someone yell at me for leaning on my own car, thinking it had to belong to someone else and I was a troublemaker.

Your profile shows you live in Long Island, I would think there are hundreds of kids your age with much more expensive cars so I wouldn't worry about how it looks. When I was living in Los Angeles a year ago I saw lots of kids in cars costing $75,000-100,000 and more. Some things will never change, here in Oregon I got accused of driving "Daddy's car" (mind you I'm in my 30's!!!) so you really have to just stop caring what people think and drive what you love.

Section 8
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Logic
if your looking for something different what i did on mine is i purchased a new star and took the ring off around the star and put it back on ...gives it a totally different look

then put some chrome handels on

make it look real shit