PDA

View Full Version : Head Rests

Flyingbanana
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Well, I could have kicked myself yesterday.My kids car seats were in the back seat strapped in and I pressed the the rear headrest button while my wife was driving to show her.The heads rests came forward and hit the car seats and went back down. I heard a loud thud after that coming from the trunk. Well, as you guessed none of the headrests work(even the front two) now. So I'm not sure what I broke. If I press the button for the rear ones, I do hear something clicking in the trunk. The front ones are completely dead.I've been reading a little on how they are controlled by vacuum pumps, but am still confused.I read that they also control the power lock switch which also does not work now. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be broken and what needs to be replaced.

anf6789
08-24-2007, 10:58 AM
the front ones are electric motor controlled, mine dont work because the gears are stripped. not sure about whats wrong with yours.

Denlasoul
08-24-2007, 11:07 AM
The rear headrests do not go up/down with the button. Only down. Pull the headrests up and "lock" into upright position. Then press the button and they should drop back down. That is the normal functions of the rear headrests.

If indeed the system is not working, then look in back to see if one of the vacuum lines became unfastened. Try searching "rear headrests" on the site. I vaguely remember someone having a similar problem.

Flyingbanana
08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks.I just got the car a week ago with no manual and I'm still trying to figure it out.
I'll do a search and check it out. The weird thing is that the front ones were working seconds before I pressed that rear button.

anf6789
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
maybe a fuse? do you still hear the front motors working?

hvmercy
08-24-2007, 01:28 PM
for the front headrests, give it a gentle "downward tug" to re-seat it into the mechanism.
When my son was 2 yrs old, he played with the headrests
and managed to dislodge it. - I have no idea how he did it.

I think your rear headrests are fine. The switch only works
to set them down and not raise.

Oh and when you're experimenting with buttons, make sure
the kids are not watching ;)

good luck,
hvmercy
202+8

ryhi
08-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Flyingbanana
I read that they also control the power lock switch which also does not work now.

dont know whats wrong with ur front seats. but for the rear headrests, power locks, and trunk release, they are all controlled by the central locking pump located in the trunk. does your trunk still open?

kevinzorz
08-25-2007, 12:59 AM
the thud is normal, and isnt coming from the trunk.. its just the headrest coming down. I scare teh crap out of my friends in the back seat with that.

Flyingbanana
08-27-2007, 09:01 AM
The power locks are working now, not sure how. I think I figured out the rear head rests. The only lingering thing is the driver headrest. After reading the article I decided to look for the hidden switch in the back of the seat in case something got loose with kids sitting in the back and kicking the chair. But I could not find the switch. The back of the chair is very hard and firm so I did not have any luck. I'll have to try again. Checked the fuses under the hood.All seem ok. I don't see any fuses in the car by the drivers side.