PDA

View Full Version : lowering?

atvrdr
08-28-2007, 06:41 PM
hey guys i have a few questions first off if i got lowering springs would i need to get new shocks or can i keep the stock shocks? and also how hard is it to install them i wouldnt need to do any welding or anything would i?

Thx for all the help in advance

Benzon
08-28-2007, 07:14 PM
No welding but is a bit difficult without the proper tools.

Shocks are recommended but not a must have (maybe a must have in your situation (or not)) I run stock shocks. But you might as well jsut throw them in there while its apart or (if you take it to a shop) pay to have them drop the suspention twice.

atvrdr
08-28-2007, 07:47 PM
o ok thanks wait if i got 2 inch lowering springs and 2 inch shocks it would lower my car 4 inches

tinter101
08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I totally agree, depending on your miles you might as well just
do them with springs. I did externally adjustable KONI's, what a smooth ride. Try www.shox.com.

Denlasoul
08-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by atvrdr
o ok thanks wait if i got 2 inch lowering springs and 2 inch shocks it would lower my car 4 inches
NO.

Lowering depends on the spring. A shock just supports spring travel.

I'd advise reading a little more about suspensions in general. It would help you get a better understanding.

atvrdr
08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
ok thanks thats what i thought but i didnt know.

Denlasoul
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
No worries. Seriously though, pick up a good book on basic car fundamentals. It will provide alot of useful information, especially if you plan on modding cars/or if you are an enthusiast.

I have a good book at home. Let me know if you want the name and author.

atvrdr
08-29-2007, 09:16 AM
if its not to much trouble can you give me the name and also is this book just for w202's?

Switchblind360
08-29-2007, 09:17 AM

Definitely replace your shocks when you change out your springs. 99% of aftermarket springs are stiffer as well as lowering your car. Your stock shocks weren't designed to be compressed as much nor were they designed for the stiffness of the lowering springs. This will give you a bouncy ride and the shocks will wear out pretty quick.

The best set-up is a spring/shock combo (including coilovers), because the shock and spring are specifically designed to function together. This gives you the best handling with out sacrificing a comfortable ride.

tpliquid
08-31-2007, 07:49 AM
bilstein are good, fuck konis because they make u rip out ur old shox boot and washers.

JRE320
08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by tpliquid
bilstein are good, fuck konis because they make u rip out ur old shox boot and washers.

LOL!! That's what good about Konis shock.... :D it will lived forever... :D