PDA

View Full Version : I want to remove my centre mirror

NEA-4311
09-04-2007, 02:25 AM
OK Im a DIY guy myself but I would like to ask if anyone has done this before and can tell me a sure way to do it because I wouldnt want to brake anything as it seems kind of delicate and not a single screw is showing.

This started out as a search for an existing thread but I couldnt find one so I thought that this is an opportunity to make a thread for future guys to use it as I couldnt even find any info in my Hanes book!!! Now thats weird or im blind... So if you want you can even add pics or start a whole new DIY thread on your own describing the process. Thanks.

martattack
09-04-2007, 09:39 AM
It is secured via spring power. You just have to pull down. It will come off

NEA-4311
09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Bare in mind that i want to unbolt it from my roof, are you sure its just spring power or maybe the spring is located in the joint where it rotates? I want to take the whole thing off. Thanks.

martattack
09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
It's definitely spring locked in place. The base does not bolt on at all. There is a small aluminum plate that the mirror snaps into that is simply screwed on.

Heres a picture I took when I retrofitted a dimming/homelink mirror.
http://pictures.mkosonen.com/d/4529-2/IMG_5097.JPG

c280nz
09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
like said, you just rip the whole thing off.
just give it a hard tug downwards, but not to hard because theres a plug to undo if you have the mirror lock lights

NEA-4311
09-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Hahah! Spring power indeed! Thing is though I wanted to split open my mirror in order to paint the black cover white but it also seems impossible! I dont want to force it with a screwdriver or knife because I will damage the plastic and will look like s**t. Any advice on that? Thanks a lot dudes.

Espresso
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Why split it to take out the mirror? Just tape the glass & spray. If you happen to get some paint on the glass. Just use a razor blade to scrape it off.

NEA-4311
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Espresso
Why split it to take out the mirror? Just tape the glass & spray. If you happen to get some paint on the glass. Just use a razor blade to scrape it off.

We all know its not the same thing and if something goes wrong I ll end up with a stupidly painted mirror with tiny paint cracks around the glass revealing the black underneath. Not to mention that I ll also have to tape the red and green leds which are quite tiny. I ll leave it as is unless I find a way to split it safely open. :bored: