PDA

View Full Version : which brand tires give good camber wear

c280nz
09-10-2007, 02:46 AM
as the title states what are some of you guys experiences with tire brands which seem to last better with more camber?
i am going to buy 225/35/19 size tire for the front which has quite bad camber and was wondering which brand to pick.

-a couple of tires ago with my 18s i had a set which had a harder compound rubber and different tread pattern on the inside of the tire designed for camber and a softer compound on the outside which was used when cornering(if you get me) but cant find that type of tire anymore

any brands/ types of tires people have had good camber wear resistance (i guess is how you put it) with?

cheers from logan

BALLLR
09-10-2007, 05:12 AM
im using general exclaim in the rear and I have quite a bit of camber. these tires have been pretty great in terms of wear, and they hug the road well also. I also no longer turn off the ASR in efforts to swing it out, so that may be part of it....lol

RemoLexi
09-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I also have those General Exclaim UHP 225/35/19 in the front, Love those tires but after 5,000miles I can see some camber wear in the back. if they last up to 10-12K ill be a happy camper!

they hold the road very well, but dont take it from me, my C230 doesnt have the balls to drift 275's in the back!

C280/////AMG
10-08-2007, 08:21 AM
I would strongly reccomend a directional tyre rather than an assymetrical tyre, because once the tyre begins to wear on the inside, just take it off the rim and rotate them so that you can wear both sides of the tyre, unlike an assymetrical tyre

rman
10-08-2007, 02:43 PM
i would say NONE. or, the kind you install after getting your camber aligned back to factory specs.

In all seriousness, no tire will withstand a bad alignment. I have a TON of negative camber on my car and I just buy whatever tire I want. I know it's going to get fucked anyhow.

If you really want to put effort into it, this is what I would do. Get any tire, directional or not, and run them a little high on tire pressure. Keep track of the treadwear, and when your insides start to get about 3/32" lower than the outside, then have the tires dismounted and flipped to the other side (left <-> right).

The increase in tire pressure will concentrate the contact patch towards the middle, rather than the outsides, and flipping them obviously will wear one side, then the next.

rman
10-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by C280/////AMG
I would strongly reccomend a directional tyre rather than an assymetrical tyre, because once the tyre begins to wear on the inside, just take it off the rim and rotate them so that you can wear both sides of the tyre, unlike an assymetrical tyre

with a directional tire, since you can't turn the tire around, you can just put it on the other side of the car.

with non-directional you can just flip the tire around on the same rim.

I would not consider a directional tire symmetrical, as Nittos and other brand directionals are not symmetrical. They are L and R specific.
A non-directional tire could be symmetrical, that is it could be considered to have 180* radial symmetry.

crazy00c230k
10-08-2007, 02:56 PM
ive had bfgoodrich ta kdw's on my car for over a year and they've worn surprisingly well, much better than the pilot sports and conti-sport contact 2's i've had in the past

ludachris
10-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
as the title states what are some of you guys experiences with tire brands which seem to last better with more camber?
i am going to buy 225/35/19 size tire for the front which has quite bad camber and was wondering which brand to pick.

-a couple of tires ago with my 18s i had a set which had a harder compound rubber and different tread pattern on the inside of the tire designed for camber and a softer compound on the outside which was used when cornering(if you get me) but cant find that type of tire anymore

any brands/ types of tires people have had good camber wear resistance (i guess is how you put it) with?

cheers from logan

K-Mac camber kit.

Denlasoul
10-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Nitto has a tire made specifically for negative camber cars. Neo Geo or something like that,

OCKlasse
10-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Nitto has a tire made specifically for negative camber cars. Neo Geo or something like that,

I hear they suck too...I like my Falken FK452s :o All those crazy Japanese guys run them ;)

blind26
10-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Obviously the best answer is to get camber arms and dial back in an acceptable camber... But if that is not an option/you like the look, there was actually a company a few years ago that made a tire for high-camber situations that allowed the tire to wear more even...

I'll see if I can find the company again...
EDIT: Having trouble finding anything on them... It may have just been a gimick tire that really didn't help much *shrugs*

C280/////AMG
10-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by rman
with a directional tire, since you can't turn the tire around, you can just put it on the other side of the car.

with non-directional you can just flip the tire around on the same rim.

I would not consider a directional tire symmetrical, as Nittos and other brand directionals are not symmetrical. They are L and R specific.
A non-directional tire could be symmetrical, that is it could be considered to have 180* radial symmetry.

My point was that one shouldn't choose a tyre that is designed in such a way that the one side of the tyre must always be on the outside, such as the Michelin PS2's or ContiSportContact 3s for example.

One should rather go for a tyre such as the Good Year Eagle F1's or the Toyo Proxes 4, where the tire is designed to rotate in a certain direction, so you have to take the tyre off the rim if you want to rotate the tyre from left to right.

I've been doing loads of research on tyres lately, and have found that the Toyo Proxes 4 seem to be great (and i'm a Michelin man through and through) since i also run a negative camber...i'll let you know in a few weeks time...

If you want a tyre to last long, look at the "Treadwear" number on the side of the tyre. The higher the number, the longer the tyre will last

davis449
10-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by crazy00c230k
ive had bfgoodrich ta kdw's on my car for over a year and they've worn surprisingly well, much better than the pilot sports and conti-sport contact 2's i've had in the past

Yes! KDW's FTMFW! Seriously these are the best damn tires I've ever owned.

speedybenz
10-21-2007, 10:47 AM
The rear Camber Links that I sell work well in the rear and by adjusting the rear toe (which is adjustable in stock form) the rear tires will wear well. Check out WWW.speedybnz.com and then PM me here or at speedyafm2@aol.com. To by at set for $260 which includes shipping.

For the front get the front MB Camber/Castor bolts and use these to reduce front camber as much as possible and then make sure to set the front toe to a minimum amount of toe-in. The car will or can be a little darty at front but the car tires in front will last much longer. And watch your pressures. 36psi is agood starting point. 34psi in the rear.

Jeff

VIP_MBZ
11-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
I hear they suck too...I like my Falken FK452s :o All those crazy Japanese guys run them ;)

For my negative cambered 202, I've run FK452's (and used to run the FK451)... it's true that they are designed with negative camber tolerance in mind, but in my experience, this tire just simply wears out too fast. I went through one set a year for almost 3 years before switching brands.

The big plus of the 452's is that their compound is very very soft, so you'll have very good grip. The trade-off is that compared to other performance-oriented tires, the 452's have a very squishy sidewall which translates to dull steering (possibly a good thing for a luxury car).

But yeah I've since switched to some Hankooks that were recommended by a friend (don't remember the model) and have been satisfied with the price, the performance, and the claim that they will last much longer.

-Ray