PDA

View Full Version : AHHH cant see headrests wont go down

jnolte
09-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Hey

I have yet another problem with my car. Now my back headrests wont go down. When i push the button to make them fall they dont do anything. It makes a clicking noise but they dont work. I got into the trunk to try and look up at the inside but i couldent figure out anything. Is there somekind of easy release switch that can make them fall. I already checked the fuses and they arnt blown. It really blocks my rear veiw of the road and i almost got in many accidents:(

J Irwan
09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Hey

I have yet another problem with my car. Now my back headrests wont go down. When i push the button to make them fall they dont do anything. It makes a clicking noise but they dont work. I got into the trunk to try and look up at the inside but i couldent figure out anything. Is there somekind of easy release switch that can make them fall. I already checked the fuses and they arnt blown. It really blocks my rear veiw of the road and i almost got in many accidents:(

really..
I always have the rear headrest stay up all the time..

Never blocking my view though ..;)

About why it's not going down, did only one of them goes down or both won't go down.
If both won't go down, there must be some leak within the vacuum line..

btw did you do anything new lately..??
probably the body shop acidently disconnect the vacuum hose when doint the repair..????

Regardz,

jnolte
09-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
really..

About why it's not going down, did only one of them goes down or both won't go down.
If both won't go down, there must be some leak within the vacuum line..

btw did you do anything new lately..??
probably the body shop acidently disconnect the vacuum hose when doint the repair..????

Regardz,

yeah

I just got my Back end collision repaired. They must of disconnected it. Now how the hell am i going to fix that it could be disconnected anywhere.:(

pnsji
09-08-2003, 08:58 PM
check inside your right side of the trunk, there should be a yellow box like this:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/dls/a2.jpg

CKlasse
09-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
really..

That only means, Jnolte is much shorter than JIrwan :p :p

Anywho... If I were you, Jnolte, I would take the car back to the body shop that repaired your rear end. Free and simple!

jnolte
09-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
That only means, Jnolte is much shorter than JIrwan :p :p

Anywho... If I were you, Jnolte, I would take the car back to the body shop that repaired your rear end. Free and simple!

OR, i sit low becuz im a gangsta :D jk jk jk

jnolte
09-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
check inside your right side of the trunk, there should be a yellow box like this:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/dls/a2.jpg

What is this "yellow box" you talk about Pnsji?

MBenzNL
09-09-2003, 01:30 AM
The yellow box is only used for the headrest folding feature in the newer modelupdated (97+) 202s...not in the older ones which mister Nolten probably has since he hears a clicking noise.

The clicking noise is caused by an electrical valve on the rear deck and from the rear deck there is a vacuum line running to the front (engine bay).
Please be aware that with the pre model updated 202s the rear headrests don't fall down when the engine is not running...also be aware of the fact that if the headrests dont fall down immediately on these pre updated 202s, you can hold the switch a few seconds longer which usually does make the headrests fall down (vacuum leak)...

greetingz,

jnolte
09-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MBenzNL
The yellow box is only used for the headrest folding feature in the newer modelupdated (97+) 202s...not in the older ones which mister Nolten probably has since he hears a clicking noise.

The clicking noise is caused by an electrical valve on the rear deck and from the rear deck there is a vacuum line running to the front (engine bay).
Please be aware that with the pre model updated 202s the rear headrests don't fall down when the engine is not running...also be aware of the fact that if the headrests dont fall down immediately on these pre updated 202s, you can hold the switch a few seconds longer which usually does make the headrests fall down (vacuum leak)...

greetingz,

Hey MbenzNL
yes i have a 1995 pre face lift. I think the vacum hose is disconnected or something. Is there anyway i can make them go down manually? Is there a release switch. If not where is the vacum hose. I guess i would have to take it somewhere because its problay too compicated and i would problay end up messing something else up:(

hocky
09-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Hullo there. I had this same problem last year and couldn't solve it. Even one indie scratched his head till he became bald! I found another indie , a bit smarter, maybe a lot smarter and he found a couple of leaking vacuum actuators under the dash. He replaced them and my rear headrests now drop on command with the engine running! The aircon airflow also improved, so that was also fixed. One symptom of the stuck headrest and vacuum leak was the annoying buzzing sound every second from car start until about 20 minutes later. Happens everytime I start out on a trip and the noise is from the vacuum pump in the boot next to the fuel door. Very annoying. Later on there was a soft foghorn sound coming from the rear after switching off the engine, another weird sound besides the odd rattlings of maybe loose wires or washers somewhere under the dash or in the engine bay.

1994 Euro C180 194,000kms.:( :mad: :confused:

jnolte
10-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Okay today i took off carpeting on right side of trunk to get a good look. No vacuum lines disconnected or anything. Now some people say its in the trunk and others say its from the engine bay. But when i click the button it just makes a clicking sound no vacum sound. I have a pre facelift model 1995 C36. What is going on

MBenzNL
10-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
Now some people say its in the trunk and others say its from the engine bay.
READ the previously posted replies please...PRE model update - ENGINE...modelupdate - TRUNK.

greetingz,

36AMG43
06-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Any update. I have changed the vacuum distributor in the engine compartment, with no luck. When I disconnect it from the distributor and build up vacuum, the headrest do go down. Is there something else to try? Anything behind the dash? I have a 1996 C36.