PDA

View Full Version : keyless entry=bad range

ryhi
09-09-2003, 08:43 PM
ok...i get HORRIBLE range with my keyless entry ....i have to be like 5 feet away for it to work...this doesnt really bug me..but its the fact that my friends with HONDAS and other cars can unlock their doors at a ridiculous distance... whats the solution to this? is there a way i can change the battery inside of the key? anyone else have this problem?

Renn 208
09-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Really it has do do with the MB remotes being primarily IR. The newer keys use both IR and radio, so that improves the range a little bit. But if you have the IR only key, the only way I can think of to increase range would be one of those IR extender devices used in home theater...but that might be a little bit unwieldy.

But hey, what an idea...just mount an omnidirectional mini sensor to your headliner/roof, run the cable to the repeater, find a way to feed it power without draining the battery (separate battery? or low enough voltage?) and have the repeater hooked up to either the rear view or door sensors. hmmm, now who would have the balls to pull that one off?

A better way to go might be to just get an aftermarket alarm system to work with your car...but that might mess with you being about to use your MB key.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/infrared.html

c230kompresssed
09-09-2003, 09:39 PM
yup mine sux ass, I just like how when you hold down lock/unlock the windows roll down. No Honda can do that!! :beard:

ryhi
09-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by c230kompresssed
yup mine sux ass, I just like how when you hold down lock/unlock the windows roll down. No Honda can do that!! :beard:

our cars do that with the remote???? i thot that was only when u put the key in the hole?? damn...have i been missin out?!?!?!?!? time to try.......

CKlasse
09-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
our cars do that with the remote???? i thot that was only when u put the key in the hole?? damn...have i been missin out?!?!?!?!? time to try.......

Yep.. on the newer model only!

Luwin1026
09-10-2003, 07:49 AM
The newer key (2001-on, I believe) has far better range. I got the updated key last year, and am much happier with it. Downside is, it costs close to $200 for a new key from the dealer.

pnsji
09-10-2003, 07:50 AM
You have to be close to the driver's door and then point to the IR receiver on the driver's handle and hold the unlock button. And if you do it again, it will roll up all the windows.

pnsji
09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Just want to add, on the older year of Mercedes (with the flip key), it only works with rolling up the windows.

detroit202
09-10-2003, 09:08 AM
just use to old "body antenna" trick hold ur smartkey sensor against ur jawbone under ur chin when u push the button

your range will go 10X more.

seriously !

1SIKBNZ
09-10-2003, 09:25 AM
LoL can you just imamgine the amt. or people who are gunna be tryin that on teir next trip out to their car? lol wish i could be there to watch......:p

Renn 208
09-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by detroit202
just use to old "body antenna" trick hold ur smartkey sensor against ur jawbone under ur chin when u push the button

seriously !

I use that on my truck which has an aftermarket radio remote...i can hit the panic button from like miles away...handy, since i never remember where I park.

detroit202
09-10-2003, 10:20 AM
it really works though !

i keep forgetting to test the maximum distance :D

1SIKBNZ
09-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Man are you guys serious?! OK OK ill try it but if this is some mean trick to make me look dumb im gunna regulate. :p Ill just make sure im in a dark place by myself! lol ... ill let you guys kno if it wrks... if it does that would rock!

c230kompresssed
09-10-2003, 12:54 PM
theres this little square on your door handles. drivers and passanger door. Thats the sensor to make the windows go up and down. you gotta point it right at it, or it wont work. I was told this a while ago, but didnt know I had to point at the sensor, and I was like "hey this shit dont work" but then i pointed at the door handle and my windows went down and my sunroof opened! crazy sheit.

C280 JR
09-10-2003, 02:00 PM
man you guyz should be lucky that you even have one...i feel so bad when i have to walk to my car and put the key in the hole, cause i dont have the bling bling remote...and its a benzo dammit

Elvir

Denlasoul
09-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by detroit202

seriously !

and I always thought it was the metal plate in my head. detroit is right though. I used to do it to my Viper alarm all the time.

jnolte
09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
yeah fuck you guys :D

I have to walk to my car and use the old ghetto key in the slot.:(

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Keys are ghettto...Is all bout the keyless entry dawG.

jnolte
09-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
Keys are ghettto...Is all bout the keyless entry dawG.

My ghetto car will still raip your stock car

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 05:16 PM
No shit sherlock.

jnolte
09-10-2003, 06:14 PM
No shit sherlock.

so what are you talking about

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 06:25 PM
:stupid:

jnolte
09-10-2003, 06:27 PM
:stupid:

Shut up basshead

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Ok dickweed.

edit: And, No I dont know what "dickweed" means.

jnolte
09-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Ok dickweed.

edit: And, No I dont know what "dickweed" means.

If you dont know what it means then why say it?? Thats why ur a basshead

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Ok leave me alone now, you are getting annoying.:angry:

jnolte
09-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Ok leave me alone now, you are getting annoying.:angry:

Typical,cant handle it:bunny:

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 06:48 PM
No, its just that no one likes you.

jnolte
09-10-2003, 07:01 PM
No, its just that no one likes you.

U know im just messing with you?? No need to worry about it. :confused:

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 07:18 PM
I know, and I am messing with you:cool:

FreeStyler
09-10-2003, 07:20 PM
On topic:

When I put the transmitter against my chin the range was amazing! I cant believe it actually worked! Then again I did look kinda weird putting it under my chin, but shit it worked.

tommyt77v1
09-11-2003, 08:12 AM
maybe they made the range like that on purpose? maybe it is so when you unlock your car your are close to your car. maybe it was for security purposes? it might preventing a stranger from just hopping into your car if you unlock it 20ft+ away or so.. =/

detroit202
09-11-2003, 10:45 AM
nothing like popping ur trunk from across the parking lot to impress the ladies eh ? :rolleyes:

anyway moving on from this keyless entry

i wonder if there are any aftermarket bluetooth setups like they have on the new e classes

you get within 2 feet of ur car and the door unlocks..

sit in the seat and push a button to start the car... all without taking the key outta your pocket

with 98+ ignition i bet its possible.

Renn 208
09-11-2003, 11:00 AM
I don't know what's available in the aftermarket, but I believe that Mark either has, or tried to install keyless go?

Steve, have you done any keyless go installations?

nokia8860
09-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Really simple process that will amaze your friends. Basically you pull out your tumbler and grab the wires. the "on" positions wires you hook up to a normal on off toggle switch.

The wire that goes to "ignition" you hook up to one of those home alarm system for windows. You know its plastic and whiteish looking.

Ok so now your going wtf.

Ok so here is the wtf.

You get in your car and flip the toggle switch on to power the car. (its best to hide this switch) Now with the car powered on you pass the other part of the window alarm system by the part that hooked up to your ignition and blam the car starts.

Ok yes its ghetto and yes it should only be used with an alarm with starter kill cuz its sorta easy to steal your car now.

But it is a keyless start. And of course you could change this up where it would require your key to turn on the car and still use the window alarm thing to fire up the car. Or you could switch it to a button on the dash or on the shiftknob.

Ive done this to other cars, not sure if this will work on an mb as i am unfamilar with their starting process.

Ok I have way too much time on my hands.

Brabus
09-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Compustar... excellent aftermarket alarm system. Fully programmable.

I have remote start and 1.25 mile range.

BenzMeister
09-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
ok...i get HORRIBLE range with my keyless entry ....i have to be like 5 feet away for it to work...this doesnt really bug me..but its the fact that my friends with HONDAS and other cars can unlock their doors at a ridiculous distance... whats the solution to this? is there a way i can change the battery inside of the key? anyone else have this problem?

Could be the smartkey itself there is a fix if the smart key on C models fail or don't work correctly part number 203 766 41 06 9999, this applies to 01 and later C class if yours is older then that, I found that changing the battery every 3 months keeps the range, window, sunroof, and trunck working at a reasonable range.