PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done an E-cut out on a C230?

Len013091
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I saw a post by the guy with the HPS supercharged C43 stating that he had an e-cutout on his C43. I looked under my car and noticed a nice long straight section of pipe after the headers where one of these things could be mounter. And, at only $180 for a 2.5" on, it would be much cheaper to leave the stock system in and install one of these for lots of sound and power when you want it.

Nelson Lago
09-24-2007, 05:14 PM
IMO dont do it, 4cyl dont sound good with e-cutouts

Fizzle
09-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Sounds Very Interesting. Now What Exactly Is An E- Cutout? Sounds Like Slicing Out Part Of The Exhaust. And Would It Benifit A c280?

Nelson Lago
09-25-2007, 06:02 AM
exhaust cutout

Espresso
09-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Fizzle
Sounds Very Interesting. Now What Exactly Is An E- Cutout? Sounds Like Slicing Out Part Of The Exhaust. And Would It Benifit A c280?

No it wouldn't. Back in the 60s, 70s, 80s they were used for V8 street cars that went to the track. They are/were a band-aid for improperly built exhaust systems. Considering the lack of technology back then they actually worked ON BIG ENGINE CARS.
This day & age NO one uses them & if they do it shows a TRUE lack on tune on the owners part.
On a daily driven small cube street car you will see NO benefit at all, if not end up LOOSING power.

Fizzle
09-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Well This Mod Is Out Of my Mind. Thanks Espresso.

c55m8o
09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Espresso, errr , ummm .... don't tell RPM Racing North (http://www.rpmnorth.com/index2.html) that then -- or all the owners who they've done it to on their late model MBs of every form -- who have dyno documented before and after results showing the benefit that it DOES do for them... 'cus you'll have a fight on your hands... No, you don't wanna cut out the whole exhaust, just in-front of the muffler with an electronically actuated baffle. Yes, it will help performance if done that way.

Espresso
09-26-2007, 03:05 PM
All the MB owners....do they have properly built exhausts for their car, for it's intended purpose? Or is it a stock exhaust with a cut out right before the muffler.

Have they dynoed the car with the cutouts vs a GOOD muffler(or even exhaust)? My guess is NO they haven't.

Cut-outs are good for one thing THE TRACK. Even then most tracks have noise limits on cars of a certain group can produce. Even most 1/4 mile tracks now require mufflers on anything in a "street" class.

I can get the to "produce power". Give me a 50,000 mile car & I can garentee a power increase. I have HAD...YEARS AGO. DyNO documented proof, that a quailty built & properlt designed exhaust makes MORE power then an exhaust with a cut out. Mufflers CAN free up power, if chosen correctly.

Noise DOES NOT = POWER.

Len013091
09-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I was thinkin about the gains if placed before the whole exhaust, not just the muffler, cat's and all. I don't really care about power gains, etc, I just wonder how the engine would sound wiht essentially open headers. With such a long stroke, I think it would be pretty cool.

rman
09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
I've seen dynos of cutouts opened and closed, and there is definitely a benefit.

It all depends on the setup itself. But cut-outs are still very widely used and I would strongly consider them if properly used.

You can even open a cutout late to keep your low-end and free-up your top-end. Like I said it all depends on your setup.

On a 4cyl benz I would not even consider thinking about possibly, just maybe putting one on. Maaaaaybe a 6 cyl but that's doubtful as well. with F/I it's a little more viable but I think it'd sound like ass on a 4 cylinder unless it was a track queen.

Cru328prod
09-28-2007, 08:28 AM
i dont see how this improves hp, i remember when i had my camaro there was pin holes in the exhaust and exhuast manifold leak, and it just robbed hp bad

c55m8o
09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Cru328prod, How can you equate a leaky/cracked manifold or a leaky muffler with a Muffler bypass?! :confused: (I had the former with my Jeep like most every owner around 80K miles. I knew it would reduce power when it happened; and when it did crack, it did reduce the power. No surprise)

The first wipes out back-pressure, exhaust scavenging, and is highly turbulent. The hole in the muffler is turbulent and disrupts scavenging. Muffler bypass has little turbulence and maintains the scavenging of all the piping before it.

Len013091, no, that would be bad.

Cru328prod
09-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by c55m8o
Cru328prod, How can you equate a leaky/cracked manifold or a leaky muffler with a Muffler bypass?! :confused: (I had the former with my Jeep like most every owner around 80K miles. I knew it would reduce power when it happened; and when it did crack, it did reduce the power. No surprise)

The first wipes out back-pressure, exhaust scavenging, and is highly turbulent. The hole in the muffler is turbulent and disrupts scavenging. Muffler bypass has little turbulence and maintains the scavenging of all the piping before it.

Len013091, no, that would be bad.

so i misread the whole thread, i thought they wanted to cut a hole in the exhaust pipe, somewhere up front