PDA

View Full Version : ASR ( traction controL)

mike mac
09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
i would like to know if there is a way to FULLY turn off the traction contol. for instance, for what ever reason my "ASR" light came on and the traction control was off and i had a great time.
i was hoping there was a fuse, but there isnt. so is there anyway to re wire the whole system and trick the computer at the same time so i will come up with the " ASR" error? what my idea/ plan is to re wire the circuit if i can some how trick the computer. and when i push the "ASR off " button, it will stay off and the "ASR" Error light will come on. or maybe stick another switch somewhere.

i like the option of haveing traction control "ASR", but sometime i just want it off!
to do donuts and practice on how to control a car sideways ( drift, i know its a heavy car), or just plain out burn out without the car contoling its sellf and what i want it to do.

Espresso
09-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Why not just turn it off when you want too? It should not come back on by itself, UNLESS you turn off the ignition.
Once you start the car back up, just turn it off again.

If the bright orange triangle bothers you. Get some black transparent paint & paint over it. This way if there is a malfunction you will know. Or if you ever want to know if it is actually working or not, the light can tell you.

It is stupid to try & go through the work to bypass a switch, when all you have to do is push a button.

C230KSPORT00
09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Well what i think he is saying is that you cant turn off the ASR completely and he wants to try to re wire it so that he can have it off. But personally i would keep it just in case you ever need it to keep from getting into a major accident. The computer is actually very smart and can keep you alive in life and death situations :rolleyes: No matter how good of a driver you think you are, at high speeds there are some things that you just can't correct when your dealing with split second decisions. BUT the computer can. ;)

anf6789
09-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by C230KSPORT00
Well what i think he is saying is that you cant turn off the ASR completely and he wants to try to re wire it so that he can have it off. But personally i would keep it just in case you ever need it to keep from getting into a major accident. The computer is actually very smart and can keep alive in life and death situations :rolleyes: No matter how good of a driver you think you are, at high speeds there are some things that you can't correct when your only dealing with split second decisions BUT the computer can. ;)

Wow im sure glad my car isn't equipped with asr:eek:

Denlasoul
09-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Search some of the 500E forums. I recall someone built an ASR defeat switch.

Espresso
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=55692

mike mac
09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Espresso
Why not just turn it off when you want too? It should not come back on by itself, UNLESS you turn off the ignition.
Once you start the car back up, just turn it off again.

If the bright orange triangle bothers you. Get some black transparent paint & paint over it. This way if there is a malfunction you will know. Or if you ever want to know if it is actually working or not, the light can tell you.

It is stupid to try & go through the work to bypass a switch, when all you have to do is push a button.

even if i just press the off button, its still on to a certain point, but off to a certain point, but not fully. if that makes any sense. and i will not be using it at high speeds. only in burn outs and when i want my car sideways. even with the ASR "off" its only off to a certain point and it still kicks in

jnolte
09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
you can take out the male pin connector for the asr and it wil be off forever

Espresso
09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jnolte

Explain more, for forum archives.
It will not affect the ABS, correct?
Affect on cruise control?
Male pin connector on the ASR module, or the console switch?

Len013091
09-25-2007, 07:32 PM
If you wan the ASR to go off, completely off, the easiest way is to pull the ASR link to the ABS pump. Of corse, the computer also needs this connector to run the ABS, so you loose that as well. I wouldn't do it unless you are on a track or something, cause it can probably cause damage to you and/or the car.

Espresso
09-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Thought these may come in handy

ASR (http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/327_traction_and_braking/327%20HO%2003%20ASR%20(WJB,GC)%2002-25-04.pdf)

ESP (http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/327_traction_and_braking/327%20HO%2005%20ESP%20(WJB,GC)%2002-26-04.pdf)

Cru328prod
09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by C230KSPORT00
Well what i think he is saying is that you cant turn off the ASR completely and he wants to try to re wire it so that he can have it off. But personally i would keep it just in case you ever need it to keep from getting into a major accident. The computer is actually very smart and can keep you alive in life and death situations :rolleyes: No matter how good of a driver you think you are, at high speeds there are some things that you just can't correct when your dealing with split second decisions. BUT the computer can. ;)

If im not mistaken all the ASR does is drop the power if your wheel slips. It doesn't apply any kind of braking or corrections. Your fu*ked in a high speed crash. You can just say thanks benz for making a very strong car with its Safety-cage chassis construction with front and rear crumple zones, dual front and door-mounted front side airbags, 4- wheel antilock disc brakes with the "Brake Assist" (which just gives a firm braking at high speeds) emergency stopping assistance system,

stox
09-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Cru328prod
If im not mistaken all the ASR does is drop the power if your wheel slips. It doesn't apply any kind of braking or corrections.

As far as I understand, ASR modulates the throttle and brakes. Turning off the ASR button defeats throttle modulation, but the brakes are still being controlled. That is why turning off the ASR button does not completely turn off ASR.

C230KSPORT00
09-26-2007, 11:00 AM
If im not mistaken all the ASR does is drop the power if your wheel slips. It doesn't apply any kind of braking or corrections. Your fu*ked in a high speed crash. You can just say thanks benz for making a very strong car with its Safety-cage chassis construction with front and rear crumple zones, dual front and door-mounted front side airbags, 4- wheel antilock disc brakes with the "Brake Assist" (which just gives a firm braking at high speeds) emergency stopping assistance system, O yea sorry guys i was talking about the ESP. (electronic stability program). This is what moniters speed,rmps, and many other things like where most of the g-forces are being apllied to the car and can react to these situations much smater and faster then humanly possible.(as far as im told)

mike mac
09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by jnolte

tell me more...like where exactly i can find the male pin conector

69chevelle
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
You know...that esp saved my ass on two occasions. Once on the LA freeway where I didn't see the merging island and had to swerve at high speed...If I didn't have it I would have rolled for sure. The other time was in the rain..

mike mac
09-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 69chevelle
You know...that esp saved my ass on two occasions. Once on the LA freeway where I didn't see the merging island and had to swerve at high speed...If I didn't have it I would have rolled for sure. The other time was in the rain..

not gunna lie, it saves mine too, mostly in snow. except i have ASR

C230KSPORT00
09-27-2007, 05:21 AM
i have neer been in a situation where i needed the ESP but if i ever do get into one :confused: i am glad that i have some extra help :D

Cru328prod
09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
I flipped a E55 amg with ESP doing 75:D, broke my arm, and collar bone, and fractured 2 ribs. ^&*(ing Porch monkeys in a caddy......pulled in front of me. Front on collision, or sidewalk grindding?...i picked sidewalk grindding lmfao

C230KSPORT00
09-27-2007, 10:58 AM
damn man that sounds pretty intense.. i feel bad for the E55 though...

Cru328prod
09-28-2007, 04:46 AM
yea 1 thing i learned is, don't think esp and asr would save your life completely. Everyone should take there car rallying to know there limitations. I know my instructor thought me how to control cars 100% better at any speed rain or snow. There was a time where the ASR almost got me killed by a semi. I pulled out at a stop sign, there was a little bit of gravel. It slipped for a 1/2 sec and the car took forever to move.

C230KSPORT00
09-28-2007, 05:13 AM
yea 1 thing i learned is, don't think esp and asr would save your life completely. Everyone should take there car rallying to know there limitations. I know my instructor thought me how to control cars 100% better at any speed rain or snow. There was a time where the ASR almost got me killed by a semi. I pulled out at a stop sign, there was a little bit of gravel. It slipped for a 1/2 sec and the car took forever to move. You took an advanced driving course? Where could i do that? And how much? I live in southern Florida..

Cru328prod
09-28-2007, 05:52 AM
http://gulfcoastautocrossers.com/

Theres an event tomorrow and Sunday i think. i remember i felt like a od ball, cause there were like is that a benz lmao.

BALLLR
09-28-2007, 06:53 AM
yea 1 thing i learned is, don't think esp and asr would save your life completely. Everyone should take there car rallying to know there limitations. I know my instructor thought me how to control cars 100% better at any speed rain or snow. There was a time where the ASR almost got me killed by a semi. I pulled out at a stop sign, there was a little bit of gravel. It slipped for a 1/2 sec and the car took forever to move.

i HATE it when that happens, its only a second but it feels like forever... can be quite dangerous

C230KSPORT00
09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
http://gulfcoastautocrossers.com/

Theres an event tomorrow and Sunday i think. i remember i felt like a od ball, cause there were like is that a benz lmao. What kind of stuf do ou do there? How much was the one you went to?

Cru328prod
09-28-2007, 10:55 AM
its like you drive threw cones and shit, its pretty fun, its about 20 bucks for Saturday and 30 bucks sunday. I would go with you but like i said my car needs alottttttttt of work.......hey you might want to check out my post in performance tuning thread "hp increase"

C230KSPORT00
09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
$50.. Thats not bad at all. I can't go this week end but i will check the website for the next one and mabey i will go. How long do you think it will take to get there from Fort Lauderdale??

Cru328prod
09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
lol i haven't gone there in a while, its like once a month kinda deal