PDA

View Full Version : cost and where to buy transmission for 99 c280?

LeftCoastBias
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
yeah, the car we JUST bought.

fuck me.

anyone know how much i can expect and where to find a transmission?

thanks.

kyo216
09-25-2007, 08:58 PM
your best bet is to look at a junkyard for a low mileage one or go to a trusted mechanic who can replace the broken parts. my mechanic only charged me 400 with installation to replace one part in the tranny. and it now runs flawlessly. i think to completely rebuild is 2-3 thousand from what ive read.

LeftCoastBias
09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by kyo216
your best bet is to look at a junkyard for a low mileage one or go to a trusted mechanic who can replace the broken parts. my mechanic only charged me 400 with installation to replace one part in the tranny. and it now runs flawlessly. i think to completely rebuild is 2-3 thousand from what ive read. wow 400 is way better than i am expecting.

can you give me your mechanic's name and info? if i can save a couple grand, i'm willing to rent a flatbed and drive the car up to LA myself.

ryhi
09-25-2007, 09:10 PM
i spent $2400. i got a rebuilt one where they said they use updated parts so it wont mess up again. it has a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. my tranny feels better than ever.

LeftCoastBias
09-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i spent $2400. i got a rebuilt one where they said they use updated parts so it wont mess up again. it has a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. my tranny feels better than ever.

the news just keeps getting better and better.

i thought for sure i was going to have to just sell the car for a huge loss and give it to some mechanic.

not that it's anyone's business, but it's my wife car, and we're getting divorced. i've run out of cars to sell to pay for other shit!

ja2k
09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I got my transmission done a year and a half ago at http://www.trolleyautoparts.com I think I paid 1300 for the transmission with the installation. Did you sell your 190 E? That car was truley impressive.

rman
09-26-2007, 07:48 PM
exactly what is wrong with the transmission?

It could be as simple as a shift actuator or solenoid in the VB or it might need a complete rebuild. I would check ebay as well as long as the seller has positive feedback for selling legit rebuilds or whatever. I don't actually know if there is a seller who sells rebuilt trannys.

It'd be easy enough to install yourself.

LeftCoastBias
09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ja2k
I got my transmission done a year and a half ago at http://www.trolleyautoparts.com I think I paid 1300 for the transmission with the installation. Did you sell your 190 E? That car was truley impressive.

thanks for the link.

the transmission wont engage in any of the drives until you floor it, and then it just jerks. it feels like the gears have stripped to the point that only a cog here and there grab hold of the drivetrain.

and thank you, i do still have the 190e. but it is more than likely going up for sale in the next few weeks.